Coal leftover in the Stove. Reusable?

FiremanFrach
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Anthracite

Post by FiremanFrach » Mon. Nov. 23, 2020 8:52 pm

keegs wrote:
Mon. Nov. 23, 2020 9:55 am
Morning FF, I don't know anything about the Harmon but I do recall having an exchange early on with Larry Trainer (owner of Coal Stove Chubby) about maintaining a low temp burn with my Chubby stove. I had been running the Chubby with the windows open and thought surely there had to be a better way. As you mentioned there're essentially three adjustments: the intake/combustion air, output/exhaust air and the amount/level of coal ash on and under the grate. Learning how to work with all three can help you to maintain a lower temperature burn.
I sometimes let the coal fire burn out and when I restart it, I usually shake the loose ashes and build a new starter fire on top of what remains. Occasionally I pick through the ash pan for large unburned chunks but most of the time the ashes just go out on the driveway or in a bag for emergencies. Throw some ash on an icy surface for sure footing. I had an old crank style coal ash sifter but never used it.
I like your ideas for the unburned coals. I'll probably go that route. Thanks. And for the time being I'll try tweaking the adjustments and see how that works.
Last edited by FiremanFrach on Mon. Nov. 23, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FiremanFrach

Post by FiremanFrach » Mon. Nov. 23, 2020 8:57 pm

Formulabruce wrote:
Mon. Nov. 23, 2020 11:40 am
I can tell you for certain that the Mark III is Way overkill for that size area. If not being used to heat your whole house, it is going to be more expensive to run it, vs a proper size stove. I would think a Mark 1 would be plenty for that. Harman are great stoves, but getting a Mark 3 to " idle" to keep Temps down For extended periods Will make a mess with ash build up in corners And will become Ashbound. Since you have a "Golden fire" version. You could probably trade it for a Harman mark1, or a Legacy mark 1. Good luck, and buy good quality coal. Less waste.
I couldn't agree more! There are a few things in this house that makes me wonder what the previous owner was thinking. The coal was in the shed so it's free. Can't beat that. Smaller may be the way to go in the future. Will definitely stick with coal. I'm pretty impressed with it. Thanks for the advice.

FiremanFrach

Post by FiremanFrach » Sat. Dec. 05, 2020 1:29 pm

Update: I got the fire to burn "cooler" so we're not roasting in the basement. I only keep it going about eight hours then shut down operations for the evening. Thanks for all the experienced advice. Much appreciated.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”