Not sure what we have complete newbie here!

DJ83

Post by DJ83 » Fri. Nov. 13, 2020 11:36 pm

Stove came with home purchase in garage. Would love to use to heat garage when necessary. I am not sure what type of stove this is wood or coal. Aside from the stamp on the top, i could notnfind more info. Any and all the help would be appreciated thank you.

Attachments

44692.jpeg
.JPEG | 398.4KB | 44692.jpeg
44690.jpeg
.JPEG | 102.4KB | 44690.jpeg
44689.jpeg
.JPEG | 168.8KB | 44689.jpeg
44688.jpeg
.JPEG | 74.3KB | 44688.jpeg

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sun. Nov. 15, 2020 9:26 am

Looks like a shaker grate. Coal. Pic #3 can't see top of bricks. That would indicate whether for bit or anthracite. Could burn wood but dropping it on the grate when hot, stretches or bows them. Clean it out completely and make sure nothing is broken before you get started. And look around for the shaker handle. I don't have a pic to show you. Might find one with search.

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Sun. Nov. 15, 2020 9:33 am

D J it looks like a Warm Morning stove made by the Locke company . I have one great Coal stove .Do a search on warm Morning stove upper right corner of page .lots of info there .jack

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Sun. Nov. 15, 2020 1:51 pm

Definitely an old Estate coal/wood stove. Not sure of the model number, but it's an Estate for sure. It does say Heatrola but I never seen one without the skirting around it. I certainly not an Estate expert, but My brother and I have owned a few. Every one we owned had skirting around them, making them a convection heat source rather than a radiant heat source. It has been an opinion that convection heat is better than radiant heat cause convection heat bends around corners, were radiant heat does not so efficiently.
The old heatrola's were great, but almost impossible to get parts for. My old heatrola was made in 1950, so it was one year older than I am. It finally gave up the ghost last year and boy do I miss it. We mostly burn't wood in ours, but was much much more efficient with coal. My fire chamber finally split open and I couldn't safely burn anything in it, and welding heat stressed cast iron is tricky at best, so I had to buy a new coal/wood stove. Although they aren't allowed to say that coal stoves can burn wood, they can (government E.P.A.bull crap). Just don't burn coal in a wood stove.
I currently own a Harmon/Legacy TLC-2000 top/front loader. I burn mostly coal in it, but for the shoulder season and to start a coal fire, I use wood. As far as efficiently goes the new TLC is much more better than the old Estate, but as far as a heat source it lacks greatly due to that it is a radiant heater and not a convection type, so there is a trade off in that respect.
If you are going to heat up a space that is open,i.e. like one big room without any dividers, I think you will be good to go. Just remember to keep little kids and animals away from the stove while it's in operation.
I never seen a top loading Estate, treat that baby with loving kindness, as the grates are probably brittle. It would always keep a nice layer of cold ash between the grates and what you are burning and while either dumping coal or wood into it, be gentle with your dumps as again those grates are more than likely brittle.
In closing, it appears that you have fire brick in your fire box, so you should not have any problems burning either fuels.
I hope this will help you.

DJ83

Post by DJ83 » Mon. Nov. 16, 2020 7:42 pm

I just want to thank all of you for taking the time to respond. I am hoping to get this up and running by this weekend. I do have the shaker just didnt take a picture.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Nov. 16, 2020 7:51 pm

Keep us posted D. :)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”