Virus exhaust

charlesosborne2002
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: natural gas central forced air

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Tue. Nov. 10, 2020 3:27 pm

I seldom have visitors at home and I work online, so "safe at home" has been nearly normal for me--semi-retired. My question is bi-partisan: when my coal stove is raging in cold weather, sucking fumes up the chimney and pulling air from the room, shouldn't that reduce the risk of people breathing out viruses (in addition to masks of course)? I am told SARS viruses can't stand heat (even stomach heat kills them, while the lungs are cooler). I can open the air intake all the way on my coal stove when service people or others come, and maybe go to another room too. Last week, over 1/3 of all people tested around here came up positive.
I do have window fans to pull air through the house in warm weather.

Second question:
My central forced air natural gas heat air intake is only about 5 ft away from my coal stove. Originally this sounded like a good idea because I could run the furnace on circulate and pull the heat of the radiant stove around the house. But now I wonder if that air pull can back up the flue gases into the room? My CO alarm has never been alarmed. Of course, the furnace fan should not create a vacuum because the air it sucks in is blown back (from ceiling grates)...

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Nov. 10, 2020 3:53 pm

Anything to exchange air would help but nothing would be as good as not letting people in the house. Im sure the stove would help a little. A window fan on the downwind side of house blowing air out with a window on the other side of house open to let air in would help exchange air ok too. If your area is that bad I'd avoid letting anyone in if it were me. i cant answer your 2nd paragraph.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Nov. 10, 2020 5:57 pm

charlesosborne2002 wrote:
Tue. Nov. 10, 2020 3:27 pm
My central forced air natural gas heat air intake is only about 5 ft away from my coal stove.
The forced air furnace should be pumping air out at the same rate it's pumping air back in which makes sense that it wouldn't change the pressure difference in the house relative to outside. Unless you want to count the expansion of the heated air from the furnace, which would actually put some positive pressure in the house while it's running. This effect would actually help push gases up the chimney.
So.....
I'm gonna say that'd be okay as long as there isn't a door that can be closed on the stove room.

charlesosborne2002

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Thu. Nov. 12, 2020 7:38 pm

Lightning wrote:
Tue. Nov. 10, 2020 5:57 pm
The forced air furnace should be pumping air out at the same rate it's pumping air back in which makes sense that it wouldn't change the pressure difference in the house relative to outside. Unless you want to count the expansion of the heated air from the furnace, which would actually put some positive pressure in the house while it's running. This effect would actually help push gases up the chimney.
So.....
I'm gonna say that'd be okay as long as there isn't a door that can be closed on the stove room.
Thanks, Lightning. That is sort of what I thought--and I have been using the stove two winters without being aware of a problem.

Spacecadet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95, Hitzer 30/95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: US stove 6041 pellet

Post by Spacecadet » Sat. Nov. 14, 2020 5:28 am

The air you move inside the home should not effect the way the stove burns. However. If you put a fan in your window blowing out without opening another window allowing air in then the fan blowing out would suck air through the chimney. In the summer with the stove off of the window wasn’t open you coul watch the baro flop and the Mano read positive pressure. I zero my Mano not hooked to the chimney. Then I stuff the steel line in the chimney. In the summer my chimney pulls @ .5 on a calm day.

As for the virus. I’m not a doctor. And my opinion is just an opinion. First I wouldn’t allow anyone inside that has recently tested positive as long back as 3/4 weeks. If there is that high of a rate in your area, and you do have to let people in I would make sure they are masked, standing, and not touching things. After they leave wash anything they touched and spray disinfectant spray through out the room.
Sometimes you can’t be too careful.
Side note thought. Again personal opinion. From what I’ve seen and read in my area apparently it seems that only 1 out of 12 positive tests are factually positive. The other 11 are false positives. Now again I’m not a doctor and don’t know for sure. But those false positives were explained to me as true covid not Covid 19 the ‘lethal covid. Take that with a grain of salt because again I’m no dr. And the individual that told me that isn’t recognized as a spokesperson or an authority.
It’s like tics. Tics are rampant in my area. My 6yo walks through the lawn I’ll ask her if she checked herself for ticks when she goes inside. Says dad I only walked across the yard. I wasn’t playing so I didn’t have time to get a tick on me. I look down, she’s got a moving spec on her white pants. That there is a tick. It doesn’t matter to the tick if your playing or not. So. On that note. If your area is high I would probably take extra precautions to keep clean. As for the heat. If heat killed it it should have been completely gone this summer we had a few really hot days.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Nov. 14, 2020 8:47 am

Just a FYI, it is a common misconception that ticks come from off the ground...they climb high and cling on whatever, brush or trees to be warmed by sunshine. When unsuspecting warm bodies pass they will then let go or almost launch to/at passers by.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Nov. 14, 2020 10:34 am

Yup, and contrary to what some believe, ticks can still be active in cold weather.

Coming through a patch of tall marsh weeds on the edge of a small stream in the eastern Adirondacks, I was hunting in low 20 F temps and a foot of snow on the ground. Shortly after I got out of that patch I felt something moving on my left temple. Picked it off and it was a deer tick.

Paul

charlesosborne2002

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Sat. Nov. 14, 2020 12:21 pm

Spacecadet wrote:
Sat. Nov. 14, 2020 5:28 am
The air you move inside the home should not effect the way the stove burns. However. If you put a fan in your window blowing out without opening another window allowing air in then the fan blowing out would suck air through the chimney. In the summer with the stove off of the window wasn’t open you coul watch the baro flop and the Mano read positive pressure. I zero my Mano not hooked to the chimney. Then I stuff the steel line in the chimney. In the summer my chimney pulls @ .5 on a calm day.

As for the virus. I’m not a doctor. And my opinion is just an opinion. First I wouldn’t allow anyone inside that has recently tested positive as long back as 3/4 weeks. If there is that high of a rate in your area, and you do have to let people in I would make sure they are masked, standing, and not touching things. After they leave wash anything they touched and spray disinfectant spray through out the room.
Sometimes you can’t be too careful.
Side note thought. Again personal opinion. From what I’ve seen and read in my area apparently it seems that only 1 out of 12 positive tests are factually positive. The other 11 are false positives. Now again I’m not a doctor and don’t know for sure. But those false positives were explained to me as true covid not Covid 19 the ‘lethal covid. Take that with a grain of salt because again I’m no dr. And the individual that told me that isn’t recognized as a spokesperson or an authority.
It’s like tics. Tics are rampant in my area. My 6yo walks through the lawn I’ll ask her if she checked herself for ticks when she goes inside. Says dad I only walked across the yard. I wasn’t playing so I didn’t have time to get a tick on me. I look down, she’s got a moving spec on her white pants. That there is a tick. It doesn’t matter to the tick if your playing or not. So. On that note. If your area is high I would probably take extra precautions to keep clean. As for the heat. If heat killed it it should have been completely gone this summer we had a few really hot days.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”