Fireplace Insert vs Free Standing Stove.

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Tue. Oct. 06, 2020 4:26 pm

Hi guys,

We just put a deposit down on a new house. Trying to head-off the pending winter fuel bills by installing a hand-fired stove in the existing fireplace. They have a pre-wired generator attachment in the garage so I assume they lose power often which is another reason for my choosing a hand-fired stove.

I'm not sure if I'm better off with a fireplace insert or a free-standing stove?

The brick chimney is on an exterior wall, unfortunately. Some here have mentioned to start a wood fire on a warm day and see what smoke you get. Can I measure draft in some way before installing a stove?

Does one type of stove perform better over another with poor draft? I'm leaning toward a DS Anthramax Fireplace Insert or a Keystoker HFH 90 but I'm not against a nice Quaker or Household #6 from the Stove Hospital either.

Any thoughts and comments would be appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

Webster Fireplace.JPG
.JPG | 25.6KB | Webster Fireplace.JPG

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Oct. 06, 2020 4:39 pm

Might just be the pix, but it doesn't look like ya got enough room for a free standing.

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Tue. Oct. 06, 2020 6:23 pm

Earth why do you mention poor Draft .Your chimney Must Be 2 foot higher than the ridge Of The House .Also check out the Hitzer stoves .Excellentcustomer service from them .Please post pic of chimney .Good luck .jack

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Tue. Oct. 06, 2020 6:40 pm

Earth take a real hard look at Hitzer they make the 503 and 983. Depending on what your heating area is and what your looking for one of those will fit your needs. I have the 983 and its a heating beast, simple to use and long burn times. Best of luck.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Tue. Oct. 06, 2020 8:08 pm

+1 on Fred’s comment.

That hearth is screaming for a “Baltimore” stove....

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Oct. 07, 2020 2:32 am

Hitzer 503 with the hopper...
Going to be ripping up carpet for a freestanding stove...

EarthWindandFire

Post by EarthWindandFire » Wed. Oct. 07, 2020 8:39 am

Ok, here's a screenshot of the chimney that I pulled from the listing. You know, touring a house during COVID is done quickly to say the least. I honestly don't remember seeing the gas furnace and now I realize it's because it's located in the attic based on the metal vent pipe sticking out. Has anyone seen that in a raised ranch?

Attachments

Webster Chimney.JPG
.JPG | 19.3KB | Webster Chimney.JPG
Last edited by EarthWindandFire on Wed. Oct. 07, 2020 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Wed. Oct. 07, 2020 8:44 am

Always opt for a free standing when possibly, but like Scott said those Baltimore Heaters are gorgeous works of art and may solve the tight space issue!!

EarthWindandFire

Post by EarthWindandFire » Fri. Oct. 16, 2020 11:03 am

Should I use the pre-existing wood stove and mount the Dwyer manometer to it and take draft measurements before making a decision?

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Oct. 16, 2020 12:59 pm

double post
Last edited by Hoytman on Fri. Oct. 16, 2020 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Oct. 16, 2020 1:02 pm

EarthWindandFire wrote:
Wed. Oct. 07, 2020 8:39 am
Ok, here's a screenshot of the chimney that I pulled from the listing. You know, touring a house during COVID is done quickly to say the least. I honestly don't remember seeing the gas furnace and now I realize it's because it's located in the attic based on the metal vent pipe sticking out. Has anyone seen that in a raised ranch?
Yes...and I've seen units in the attic as well...and with each there needs to be a drain for condensation going to the outside. Trust me, these suck!!! Nothing but headaches...speaking from experience. In my old neighborhood of slab/ranch homes it takes both hands to count the number of dropped ceilings I have seen from a leaking pan or drain pipe. With blown in insulation...trust me...you don't want to have to deal with the mess.

I had HVAC guys try to talk my into this. I had to clean up one mess...mother-inlaw next door ceiling dropped. What a mess. Needless to say, she's had zero issues since I talked her into removing all of that from the attic.

Lots of installers just want your money...they all say a drain line makes it safe, but fail to tell you drain lines sag, and most won't go to the effort to ensure they can't sag. When they do, and should it freeze in a sag pipe, then you have a major headache.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Oct. 16, 2020 3:37 pm

I really don't like saying this but, If your house has access to natural gas you probably won't save much money burning coal.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Fri. Oct. 16, 2020 5:05 pm

Lightning wrote:
Fri. Oct. 16, 2020 3:37 pm
I really don't like saying this but, If your house has access to natural gas you probably won't save much money burning coal.
+ he’ll save a lot of work!

Old-Duckman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Electric heat pump, wood pellet insert

Post by Old-Duckman » Sat. Nov. 07, 2020 1:12 am

scalabro wrote:
Fri. Oct. 16, 2020 5:05 pm
+ he’ll save a lot of work!
Agee wholeheartedly !

It always amazes me how so many posters seem so happy to fire up their stoves for the season.

I have a Hitzer 50-93 and have been burning for 4 or 5 years I guess. A very happy day at the close of each heating season when I can let the stove burn out till the next winter.

I have a heat pump with electric backup heat and I know I save money burning coal vs running my electric setup all year but for me, heating with coal, though more economical, is not fun.

I originally got the coal stove because I believe we will eventually have rolling black outs, I would not be surprised if this was the year they become commonplace. I just purchased a dual fuel portable generator and a friend will be installing a transfer switch for me shortly.

I have a 300 foot deep water well, no “city water “ option. So as long as I can have some propane and gasoline and coal around I should be able to weather any temporary power outages without too much inconvenience.

Luckily I stocked up on ammo when prices were reasonable...so I should be able to keep the crooks and looters at bay if they would come for my goods.

I think we are living in an era in which the Chinese curse applies, “may you live in interesting times “.

Shaun643
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Nut and pea

Post by Shaun643 » Sat. Nov. 07, 2020 11:52 am

I noticed the post about it's cheaper to run natural gas it really depends on the way your house is insulated I have natural gas but I haven't used it in over 5 first I burned wood then 2 winters ago went to coal. It is cheaper for me to burn coal and I really enjoy it. Also my hours was built in 2003 so it is of newer construction and my first winter the heater never shut off. I heat my home only with my hitzer 50-93 now

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”