Hitzer 50-93. I can’t seem to control the temp

Cummins junkie

Post by Cummins junkie » Tue. Oct. 06, 2020 9:01 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Tue. Oct. 06, 2020 9:00 am
Patiently waitin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
Lol had to work late and it’s not really terribly cold in the house maybe tomorrow night. The wife says she’s good so I’m good 😁

CorrosionMan
Location: SE Ohio - Carrolton/Kilgore/Perrysville -- inbetween
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Hitzer 82 FA
Coal Size/Type: Reading NUT 40lb plastic bags
Other Heating: Heat Pump

Post by CorrosionMan » Tue. Oct. 06, 2020 10:15 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Tue. Oct. 06, 2020 9:00 am
Patiently waitin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
I know, all that buildup and now nothing. OP should be band.

JohnB
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Mostly nut, some pea

Post by JohnB » Wed. Oct. 07, 2020 3:58 pm

I wouldn't consider 500-550*F to be hot enough to damage anything on the big Hitzer. Mine has gotten hotter then that a couple times since new with no issues.
The loose front air plate will definitely let air in as will even a very small leak at the hopper gasket.

Cummins junkie

Post by Cummins junkie » Wed. Oct. 07, 2020 8:18 pm

Ok so the verdict is.... After changing the seal on the ash pan and tightening the slide damper I’m able to control it now😃😎. Got her idling nicely at around 275 degrees which has my whole house at 70-71 degrees. Its nice now since the stove is at one end of my house which it’s heating the whole 2200 sqft pretty evenly with one fan to push air around. Can’t tell ya how glad I am to have this stove. Thank you guys for the help

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Oct. 07, 2020 8:41 pm

Outstanding C :)----------------------

11ultra103
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93, DS Comfortmax 75
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by 11ultra103 » Thu. Oct. 08, 2020 1:30 pm

Coal heat is great isn't it! When I switched from wood to coal, the first morning I woke up and was like holy crap its not 58 degrees in here!

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. Oct. 08, 2020 1:49 pm

And every corner in the house is warm too. Thats what sold me.

Cummins junkie

Post by Cummins junkie » Sat. Jan. 09, 2021 3:49 pm

Ok so here we go again. The stove was running perfect for a while after my last post them all of a sudden it started running hotter again. I checked everything over and decided to change the gasket on the hopper door as I didn’t get the right size this fall when I changed the other seals and that seemed to help. Problem is I can’t get it under 325* which makes the living room a bit too warm. All doors seem to close tight and the rear damper is closed and flat also. There’s no concentrated hot spot anywhere just even glow in the fire box. Could it be burning blascheck vs Lehigh? Nut vs pea? Really starting to get frustrated. Thanks in advance guys

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Sat. Jan. 09, 2021 6:23 pm

Cummins...I run a 50/50 mix of pea and nut in my 983 Hitzer,nothing real precise with the mix. I find it to work great.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Jan. 10, 2021 8:58 am

Nut vs pea? Really starting to get frustrated. Thanks in advance guys

Smaller sized coal will burn a little cooler when given the same amount of primary combustion air as nut size. But this is kind of only a "band aid" to the real problem, it's getting too much air for the heat output you want. There are other ways to cut combustion air if sealing up below the fire isn't working enough. I skimmed over the thread but didn't notice if you were using a manual pipe damper or have measured the draft with a manometer.

Cummins junkie

Post by Cummins junkie » Sun. Jan. 10, 2021 9:37 am

Lightning wrote:
Sun. Jan. 10, 2021 8:58 am
Smaller sized coal will burn a little cooler when given the same amount of primary combustion air as nut size. But this is kind of only a "band aid" to the real problem, it's getting too much air for the heat output you want. There are other ways to cut combustion air if sealing up below the fire isn't working enough. I skimmed over the thread but didn't notice if you were using a manual pipe damper or have measured the draft with a manometer.
I use a barometric damper though I have not actually measured with a manometer. The doors all close tight, I made sure the slide draft in the ash door was tight, everything seems good it just all of a sudden started pulling air. I noticed the glass in the door has a very slight movement in it so I’m going to let it go out today and see if I can tighten it somehow. Seems to get hotter as the hopper empties. Maybe I’m going crazy lol

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Jan. 10, 2021 9:54 am

Cummins junkie wrote:
Sun. Jan. 10, 2021 9:37 am
barometric damper though I have not actually measured with a manometer.
Is it the Field Controls type RC?

Set the baro to open sooner, this will keep the draft weaker and it won't pull in so much combustion air via leakage.

JohnB
Coal Size/Type: Mostly nut, some pea

Post by JohnB » Sun. Jan. 10, 2021 9:54 am

Cummins junkie wrote:
Sun. Jan. 10, 2021 9:37 am
Seems to get hotter as the hopper empties. Maybe I’m going crazy lol
Be sure & check all the way around the hopper lid with a dollar bill. Whoever drilled the holes for the hinge pins in my 50-93's hopper lid should get their eyes checked. One hole is slightly above center & the other is well below center so one side seals well while the other doesn't unless I bend the locking bar way down. If you have even a small air leak at the lid the fire will run hot.

Cummins junkie

Post by Cummins junkie » Sun. Jan. 10, 2021 10:30 am

Lightning wrote:
Sun. Jan. 10, 2021 9:54 am
Is it the Field Controls type RC?

Set the baro to open sooner, this will keep the draft weaker and it won't pull in so much combustion air via leakage.
I have it set so it opens with the slightest pull. It’s gotta be something stupid just gotta find it is all

BlackBetty06
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Nut
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Sun. Jan. 10, 2021 4:39 pm

McGiever wrote:
Sun. Oct. 04, 2020 12:36 pm
Yep, 500-550*F can take it's toll on less than new door gaskets.
More unneeded air leaking in equals more unwanted heat output...control the air and you will control the fire/heat.
And that ash pan door would have been HOT!!!!!!!!! Since it was a new fire with no established ash on the grates

EDIT: just realized you replaced that gasket. Im curious to know if your window glass gasket replacement changes anything. Im thinking about removing some from my door glass so it can get some over fire air.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”