Salvo Machinery

Spacecadet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95, Hitzer 30/95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: US stove 6041 pellet

Post by Spacecadet » Sat. Sep. 12, 2020 8:58 pm

I probably wouldn’t suggest welding steel to the cast iron doors. It can be done. Cast iron is not easy to weld to - but it can be done. It would require a torch to heat the cast and a mig welder
Anyway. I would suggest purchasing a quality drill bit. Good drill bits are not cheep and cheep drill bits aren’t good. Drill out the broken screws and either tap them or purchase a few self taping screws.

JohnB
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Mostly nut, some pea

Post by JohnB » Sun. Sep. 13, 2020 2:28 pm

franco b wrote:
Sat. Sep. 12, 2020 3:50 pm
For small screws that are broken, try to file a flat and then center punch. Use a small drill, followed by the right size tap drill, and follow with a tap for the new screws..
Had 5 of the 6 screws that hold the glass in my 50-93's door snap off this summer & that's exactly how I ended up clearing out the holes. Tried weeks of soaking & applying heat, ect with no success. Bought some 2500* nickel based anti seize for my coffee roaster's stainless screws/nuts so I used that on the new door screws. We'll find out how that works in a few years.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Sep. 13, 2020 6:17 pm

Spacecadet wrote:
Sat. Sep. 12, 2020 8:58 pm
I probably wouldn’t suggest welding steel to the cast iron doors. It can be done. Cast iron is not easy to weld to - but it can be done. It would require a torch to heat the cast and a mig welder
Anyway. I would suggest purchasing a quality drill bit. Good drill bits are not cheep and cheep drill bits aren’t good. Drill out the broken screws and either tap them or purchase a few self taping screws.
To protect the glass gaskets inside the cast doors, like I said, I made a steel plate and used existing screw holes to fasten it to the cast doors, and sandwiched a few pieces of gasket material between the steel and the cast doors. My steel plates do not touch the door castings or the glass gaskets, but protects the glass gaskets from heat.

Thought I’d explain that a little further and hopefully better as well.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”