Ordered Stove Now What Do I Do With the Walls?

JoePA

Post by JoePA » Tue. Jul. 29, 2008 9:45 am

OK I ordered up our new Vermont casting coal stove. I'm going to get the house ready and want to put something up on the walls as a heat barrier. The stove will be going in a corner and would like to put stone up. Will this work ok as a heat barrier? Any tips on the best way to go about this? Do they sell a heat barrier type of board instead of going a stone route? Any tips would be great!

thanks!
Joe

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Tue. Jul. 29, 2008 12:39 pm

The manual usually tells you the min. distance (18-30" usually) to a combustable wall wheather at an angle in the corner or flat.
yes, they do sell those types of backer boards at local fireplace shops.

JoePA

Post by JoePA » Sat. Aug. 02, 2008 11:54 pm

OK I figued out what I'm going to do with the walls. My other question is if i'm going to have a 1" space between the stone wall and interior wall, what do I use for a spacer? I was told somethign noncumbustable. Any ideas?

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Aug. 03, 2008 12:31 am

This was mentioned before, use cheap steel pipe/conduit as a spacer between the wall and some thin sheet metal. The bolts go through the middle of the pipe/conduit. you can build the rock wall against the sheet metal. Having said that with a rock wall... how close do you intend on putting the stove near the wall?

Attachments

wall.gif
.GIF | 11.8KB | wall.gif

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Aug. 03, 2008 8:12 am

In Richard's diagram above, it is very important to leave a gap at the bottom of the sheet metal shield.. this gap at the bottom allows air to enter the gap and rise, taking heat with it.. I'd say a 1" gap between the sheet metal shield and the floor or floor covering is about right.

Greg L

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Sun. Aug. 03, 2008 9:30 am

Also keep in mind, the heat shield arrangement only reduces your clearances, it does not eliminate them. I've seen fires start from stoves too close to walls and scorched framing behind drywall and brick from stoves too close.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sun. Aug. 03, 2008 1:03 pm

You can also have a stove mounted heat shield.

Attachments

VC shield 1.JPG
.JPG | 84.2KB | VC shield 1.JPG
VC shield 2.JPG
.JPG | 90.1KB | VC shield 2.JPG

JoePA

Post by JoePA » Mon. Aug. 04, 2008 9:14 am

Thanks!! According to the specs on my stove....I can go as close as 9" with a heat barrier. So that's my plan due to space where the stove is going. I just want to make sure I'm doing it right so I DON'T burn the house down!!

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Mon. Aug. 04, 2008 9:29 am

I have a corner mount and need heat barrier but I'm a lot farther then 9". I used the clearnaces from Alaska. I would just use ceramic tile over sheetrock but u better check code.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Mon. Aug. 04, 2008 12:25 pm

Ceramic tile over sheet rock does not provide any heat protection. The tile will transmit the heat right on through. If I could find the pictures I would post them of scorched framing behind brick and drywall from a wood stove.

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Mon. Aug. 04, 2008 12:47 pm

JoePA wrote:Thanks!! According to the specs on my stove....I can go as close as 9" with a heat barrier. So that's my plan due to space where the stove is going. I just want to make sure I'm doing it right so I DON'T burn the house down!!
JoePA, don't overlook the required clearance for the vertical stovepipe if you plan on a top exit. I needed to go with double wall SS to keep those clearances. I've got the exact rear heat shield that CapCoaler posted pictures of but had to hold clearance from the DWSS to 10". That placed the shield for the back of the stove at 10.5" and the stove pipe shield, which is part of the stove's shield, at 9.5" from the wall. The wall stays cool behind the stove but is warmest just behind the DWSS just above the shield.

JoePA

Post by JoePA » Mon. Aug. 04, 2008 1:56 pm

I got double walled SS 6" pipe for everything from the ceiling up. From my understanding I can use normal stove pipe from the stove to the ceiling.

Because of the clearance issues I'll be using a 52" corner board and that will probably put me at 10" to 13" from the wall.

Here are the specs for my stove...maybe you all can make heads or tails of my clearances.
http://www.vermontcastings.com/catalog/elements/f ... gilant.pdf

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Aug. 04, 2008 2:47 pm

Single walled pipe is usually 18-24" clearance. Double wall stove pipe usually will allow 6-12" clearance. Check your MFG of pipe for actual clearances.
From the pdf
Do you have a rear heat shield supplied from VC like in my pictures? if so:
When a rear heat shield is used on the stove and a
double wall chimney connector is used, the rear clearance
is 15¹⁄₂" (395 mm) and the chimney connector
clearance is 12" (300 mm).
You have the stove in a corner.
If the Vigilant is installed in a corner (corner installation)
and no shields are used, the corners of the stove must
be at least 16” (410 mm) from nearby walls. (Fig. 6)
Measure these distances from the edge of the top plate
of the stove nearest the wall to the combustible part of
the wall.
Unshielded single wall chimney connectors must be a
minimum of 17”
(430 mm) from the wall or ceiling.
I would also use the bottom heat shield if available, even if you have a solid masonry hearth.

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Tue. Aug. 05, 2008 10:55 pm

CapeCoaler, it stays just warm under my Vigilant which I think is the same model as JoePA's. The ash pan for this stove fits into a piece of flat stock that's fastened to the ash compartment door. The assembly sits inside the compartment which acts as a heat shield. My cats, before they they climbed the great scratching post to the sky, use to curl up and sleep under there when the stove was running full out. The hearth is warmest a few inches out in front of the ash lip for the double doors.

If JoePA is setting the stove diagonally, across the hypotenuse, of the corner in the room, he might get the 17 inches easily. If it's going to sit parallel to one of the walls, it's worth measuring very closely before deciding to go with single wall stove pipe. My wall gets the warmest just behind the double wall stove pipe where it exits the stove and then cools down quickly as you measure up the wall behind the pipe.

JoePA

Post by JoePA » Wed. Aug. 06, 2008 8:06 am

I ordered the rear heatshield for the stove so that's another thing to help out. It is going in a corner and the thing I'm worried about the most is the side walls. According to the manual I can have an unproteceted wall, just a normal drywall wall, and be 16" away from the corner. So I figured if I put stone on the wall, with a 1" spacing behind it, I can go as close as 9" from the wall.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”