Vented ash pan door for the Hitzer 354

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Jul. 23, 2020 10:18 pm

Went to pick up a ton of nut coal today as well as pick up a vented ash pan door I had Dean Lehman build for me.

I was looking at the new 354 today and noticed that the ash pan door was wider than the door I had made. Actually, my son Levi caught it. (Great eye, Levi! I’m sure Steve and Pauliewog will be proud of you.)

At first I thought the new 354 stove was wider than mine, but Dean informed me they were identical. He told me with my stove when you shake down you end up with ash missing the ash pan on both the left and right sides of the stove. My eyes lit up because I found that to be a pain in the butt to clean out, and apparently so did Dean. He said they simply widened the ash pan and the ash pan door and eliminated the problem. On the old stove there’s about 2 1/2” to 3” on each side, so they had plenty of room to make the change.

This is one of the things that I think Steve mentioned I may want to modify on my stove, somehow. I think he said the DSM didn’t have the same issue, if I recall correctly. I can see that being of benefit because cleaning out the sides of my older stove is a pain. My only complaint really.

Thinking of modifying mine via a riveted full length piece of metal on each side of the ash pan, riveting a full length piano hinge on each side. Emptying the pan, fold the metal to the inside, and when the pan is put in place, then flair them open. Haven’t really measured if it’s possible yet. Maybe someone else has a better idea. I first thought it was possible to attach something to the shaker grate frame, but I think the shaker connecting rod is in the way.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Jul. 23, 2020 10:30 pm

You guys that have the vented ash pan door...

Are you supposed to be able to adjust the air, then tighten the knob to hold it in position?

As it stands now, mine slides no matter how hard I tighten the center knob. Perhaps the knob is just there as a handle to move the vent closed or open? Seems like you’d be able to bump it open or closed. Closed wouldn’t hurt anything, but bumping it open could be a serious issue.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sat. Jul. 25, 2020 4:41 am

Hoytman wrote:
Thu. Jul. 23, 2020 10:30 pm
You guys that have the vented ash pan door...

Are you supposed to be able to adjust the air, then tighten the knob to hold it in position?

As it stands now, mine slides no matter how hard I tighten the center knob. Perhaps the knob is just there as a handle to move the vent closed or open? Seems like you’d be able to bump it open or closed. Closed wouldn’t hurt anything, but bumping it open could be a serious issue.
Yes, tightened knob should hold it in place. Without looking, seems there's a lock nut between actual knob, and ash pan vents. The lock nut is what actually holds the vents from sliding. The knob is just a handle.

To make that change in the ash pan door shows that HITZER is willing to improve / listen to customers. That being said, with the ash pan being a big shovel, what's the big deal. I never had an issue. So a little ash is along the sides.... It doesn't effect / hinder performance. Empty the ash pan, slide it back in, and be done with it... If it was a 4 sided ash pan I can see the ash along the sides being a problem.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Jul. 25, 2020 9:44 am

On my stove if I don’t take a poker and sweep the coal from the sides about every 4-6 shaking then the right side blocks the air intake and will continue to fill up if I don’t clean it away. It did affect performance enough for me to notice. Just clean it now, but have to crawl on the floor to make sure I can see it’s clean.

The ash pan handle on mine catches on the sides of the opening when you’re putting the pan back in the stove if you’re not holding your mouth right. Catches on me every time. I’m sure I can fix that easily though. Just haven’t tried yet.

They have a new paint as well “_ _ _ _ bronze” (something bronze...can’t remember the first part of the name). It’s a black with a bronze hew to it that sort of shiney. It is sharp!!! Think I’ll repaint mine next spring to match.

I like the new design better because it should make...as you said...sticking the ash pan in and shoveling it out...easier.

EDIT:
Oh! Just checked. Tightening the knob has no effect on it. I can still easily slide the vents open.

There’s the knob/handle, lock nut, then a flat washer. Seems odd to me...like it’s missing something. Just a bolt going through tack welded to the back side. Slides real easy. Maybe it was designed to simply tighten the nut just a tad more. They may have left it loose so as not to scratch the paint because I can see it wearing the paint away with use over time. Seems like there should be a spring or something between the flat washer and the lock not. Maybe not.

It’s not a big deal because I can live with it as is. The workman ship is great. Super nice folks up there at Hitzer!!!!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”