coal stove vs pellet stove

chefiam1
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 50-93

Post by chefiam1 » Wed. May. 20, 2020 10:11 pm

have hitzer 50-93 in garage. but tired of a high propane bill, low heat in the upstairs of my house (main level) have pellet stove in basement part of house. so, i'm trying to figure out what the best wise way to bring heat upstairs. right now it's forced air with very little force. what would be the best economical way for heat? small coal stove to cover say 1400sq ft bedroom, small front room and kitchen. any suggestions are well welcomed . this is a two story modular home.

thanks, chef

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Wed. May. 20, 2020 10:18 pm

I am running a Keystoker 90 chimney vent, in the basement heating basement and upsatirs 2200 sq ft with no problem at all.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. May. 21, 2020 6:36 am

Heatin comfortably with 50-93 around 2000+ sq in a broke up 200 yr old farm house--why the garage C??? How are you movin heat to the living spaces?

chefiam1
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 50-93

Post by chefiam1 » Thu. May. 21, 2020 7:27 am

moving heat with upstairs propane forced air. which does not work well! uses to much propane . we only sleep in the upstairs of the house. and the hitzer i rebuilt for my workshop. always out there in the winter and it heats up a 1600sq ft area fine.
should i put a coal stove in basement with some kind of vent? with blower piped upstairs. or run a 6"from basement ceiling
with fan in 6" duct to the bedroom registers using heat from pellet stove. we spend 80-90% of the time in basement. i don't like running propane upstairs if no one is up there.the pellet stove in basement is a harman and works for downstairs. but, pellets cost keep going up! thanks for the input sierra, and freetown fred!! should i stick to one fuel source?

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. May. 21, 2020 9:24 am

The return is just as important as the supply with hot air, to move the heat.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. May. 21, 2020 12:23 pm

Those pellet stoves are typically 1/2 to 2/3 the BTU's of where coal starts. You can of course buy coal unit that can easily handle the heat load for the entire house.

Keep the propane as it can be used to meet demand if you have smaller coal stove that can't meet it during real cold weather. Useful for emergencies in case something breaks on the coal unit and last but not least you have unattended heat if for any reason no one is around for few days in the winter.

I'm no expert on ducting but based on what you are saying I'd looking for coal stove or stoker that already has the duct outlet on it. Hook into existing system, there is all kinds of posts on here how this has been done. Thermostatically operated duct damper before it goes into main trunk that can cut the heat off to upstairs and direct it all into the basement. The trouble there is you can end up with way too much heat in the basement using hand fired stove

A stoker is more suitable for what you are trying to do, you can thermostatically control the heat in basement and it ramp up when there is heat being distributed upstairs.

xackley

Post by xackley » Fri. May. 22, 2020 9:38 pm

I have 2 houses being heated with stokers in the basements.
Mine is a Leisure Line pocono. I am using the oil furnace convection fan to move the heat upstairs. I built a shell around the stove and route the cold air return so it sucks off the heat from the coal stove. The coal trol system works well to keep the house at a steady 70* while the basement is 60 to 65*.

The other house has an Alaska 140. This comes with a heat jacket and convection fan. Their thermostat system puts the simple thermostat in the living area.
I routed the heated air into the propane furnaces ductwork. It works well. Less ingenuity than routing the pocono.
This spring, the relay went bad in the Alaska thermostat system, so for $400 I replaced the controller and thermostat with the coal-trol system.

As stated above, circulating the air is important. Some how make sure the stove is sucking out of the living area, warm it up, and send it back.
Don

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”