Harman TLC-2000 Questions, Comments, Ramblings

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Fri. Jul. 25, 2008 10:12 pm

Mantis wrote:Devil, sweet pic. Looks like the same bags my stove dealer has for sale. There price is 300. a pallet which I thought was a bit steep considering the prices I've seen some of the members paying.
That's a good price for around here where it is now almost $400/pallet.
Mantis wrote:Also the dealer said that a pallet works out to be a ton and a quarter. Is this accurate or a sales pitch? Just to get an idea of storage area, how much tonage/pallets is in that stack. I've got a walk out basement with an overhead porch which I plan on stacking my bags under if I go that route.
The dealer is right. A pallet from Blaschak is 60 forty pound bags (2400 lbs) The stack I have is (2) pallets & about 20 bags from b4...........so about 140 bags total, which for me is enough for one full winter & probably a month or so of the next winter...depending on the temps. I want to buy another 2 pallets b4 the fall.

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Fri. Jul. 25, 2008 10:23 pm

Mantis wrote:Greg, Hello and when I was pricing chimney block the man behind the counter, when I asked the price of their 16X16 chimney block asked me; solid or cored. I didn't know what he was talking about so I said price for both. 6.29 for cored, 6.49 for solid. I was thinking it had something to do with the outer holes around the 8x8 flue hole vs no holes just the 8x8. Does this make sence. I'm clueless sorrry.
You are correct about the hollow vs. cored chimney block. I asked my mason about the holes and should insulation be put into the holes. He said most people don't understand the purpose of the holes. It makes the block lighter, easier for the mason to lay, uses less raw materials and because it's lighter cost less to ship because they can get more on the tractor trailer. A large part of the cost is getting the block to your masonry supply distributor.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Fri. Jul. 25, 2008 11:10 pm

$250/ton for the pallet $4.17/bag not bad, bags going for $6-7 here in New England. Bulk is always cheaper.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sat. Jul. 26, 2008 11:07 am

The only block available in my area are the cored ones.. must have a bunch of lazy masons around here,, the offer for solid was never made to me,, and I looked at all the different chimney block,, they all had different sizes and shapes,, but none were solid walls

Sorry about the confusion.. I thought you meant solid 4x8x16" block to make up a square.. lots of work..

Greg L.

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Sat. Jul. 26, 2008 8:21 pm

One way to build a two flue clay lined masonry chimney is to use chimney block for one flue and 3 standard 4" wide hollow core blocks for the second flue. It's possible because you only need to face three sides of the second flue line. My new two flue chimney was build this way where the chimney was hidden from view. The rest was faced with brick without any block.

Mantis
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC2000
Coal Size/Type: Chesnut/Private mine IDK

Post by Mantis » Tue. Jul. 29, 2008 2:45 pm

Thanks guys for the info.

I guess when you run the numbers right it looks like a better price for a pallet. With buying the stove and building a chimney it doesn't look like I'll be able to purchase a full seasons worth for another month or so. How much do you anticipate it will rise as winter draws closer?

And Devil why would you buy two more pallets? Is the price of coal forever going up?

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Tue. Jul. 29, 2008 4:05 pm

Mantis wrote:And Devil why would you buy two more pallets? Is the price of coal forever going up?
Not much but I have to try to keep up the the bulk buyers here who get 20+ tons of coal at a time! :devil:

Mantis

Post by Mantis » Tue. Jul. 29, 2008 4:11 pm

I should've known :roll:

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Tue. Jul. 29, 2008 4:13 pm

Mantis wrote:should've known :roll:
On a more serious note, another pallet would give me a 2 complete winter supply.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Tue. Aug. 19, 2008 12:06 pm

Just devised simple DIY stop blocks for the TLC2000 shaker mechanism & they may work for other Harmans. Here is the thread with pics. Simple to make & works great!
"Stops" for Harman Shaker Mechanisms?

Mantis

Post by Mantis » Thu. Sep. 18, 2008 3:39 pm

I've been a busy bee around here getting the stove ready to fire. here's some pic's of my progress I thought I'd share. Couldn't have done it with out you guys.

the gas stove being replaced. (still for sale btw :P )

Don't fit!

Free field stone from a friends farm and local creeks. Not easy for a first timer!
I plan to put cultured stone up the block wall.

now on to the chimney; tied into the retaining wall/house/pad with 8x8x16
core filled with mortar.

My first block laying project so cut me some slack.

Now to cut my house. I'm not exited about hackin' away. wish me luck!

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Thu. Sep. 18, 2008 7:39 pm

Mantis wrote:I've been a busy bee around here getting the stove ready to fire. here's some pic's of my progress I thought I'd share. Couldn't have done it with out you guys.
Suggestion: You might try reversing your shaker handle position. (on the TLC) I find it easier to shake down with the handle pointing up rather than down. Try it & see what you think. (the Harman owner's manual also shows it vertical)

Mantis

Post by Mantis » Thu. Sep. 18, 2008 8:00 pm

yeah in that picture I just got the stove and slid in on quick without really thinking. Later I realized it's better the other way. thanks though! :cheers:

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Thu. Sep. 18, 2008 9:18 pm

Mantis, Nice looking work! You go!

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Fri. Sep. 19, 2008 5:32 am

Looks to be coming along nicely, good work. :)

Do worry about your block laying you can always cover up the imperfections by covering it with stone later on. ;)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”