Chestnut Coal in a Harmon Mark II

Dans58

Post by Dans58 » Thu. Jul. 24, 2008 7:17 pm

I'm thinking about purchasing a used Harman Mark II. The current owner tells me that it uses "chestnut" coal. How is chestnut different from rice coal, and why can't I just burn rice coal in the Mark II ? Also, are there any problems with the Mark IIs that I should be aware of? thanks

jpete
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Post by jpete » Thu. Jul. 24, 2008 7:25 pm

Rice coal will just fall through the grate in a Mk II. I have Mk I and bought a bag just to try. It didn't work too well. I started out burning "nut" in my Mk I but I couldn't throttle it down enough to a comfortable temperature. I switched a few years back to "pea" and have been very happy.

If it gets really cold, I buy a couple bags of nut to mix in with the pea to raise the temp just a bit.

Dans58

Post by Dans58 » Thu. Jul. 24, 2008 7:27 pm

Jeff, how long will I be able to run the fire without tending the stove if I use Pea coal? thanks Dan

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Thu. Jul. 24, 2008 7:51 pm

I'm just the opposite of Jeff. I burn nut in my Harman Mk I, have no trouble controlling the burn rate, and find that pea does not burn well. My guess is that Jeff has a better chimney than I do and it can suck the air through the pea better than mine.

Burn time between tendings, for me, can be as little as 9 hours if I'm really pushing it in cold weather, and as long as 24 to 26 hours when the weather is warmer in Spring and Fall. It really will depend how big an area you are heating, how well insulated (or not) your house is, and whether the stove is the right size for your needs.

As to problems inherent with the Mk II, I have not heard of any.

jpete
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Post by jpete » Thu. Jul. 24, 2008 10:18 pm

Dans58 wrote:Jeff, how long will I be able to run the fire without tending the stove if I use Pea coal? thanks Dan
I suspect rberq is right. I seem to have an extraordinarily good draft. I can PACK it with pea coal, throttle it down about to about 1/2 a turn on the air inlet and get a solid 20 hours out of it with only a quick shake once or twice and keep my 1200 sq/ft house at 75*(give or take).

With chestnut coal, I could never get the air balance right, it was either choked out dead, or 100*+.

Typical operation is 1 bucket every 12 hours. Keeping the ash pan empty was the most critical thing in controlling the fire and keeping it consistent.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”