Alaska Kodiak gravity feed

Reddog807
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak
Other Heating: Vogelzang wood stove and Sierra 1000 wood stove

Post by Reddog807 » Sun. Apr. 12, 2020 8:47 pm

Hey all, new member here. Recently, I found an Alaska Kodiak gravity feed coal stove on Facebook marketplace for free. I practically ran out the door to get it. I have intention to spend the summer restoring it and either keeping it or selling it. It needs the usual stuff, fiberglass rope, fire brick, wire wheeled, and painted. The unusual thing it needs is the internal hopper for the coal. The guy who had it before me cooked the hopper out of it. The hopper is melted and warped in really bad ways. Does anyone know if or where I can find a replacement hopper for it? I'm gonna reach out to a dealer up the road from me and try to get some direction from them. Any info would be helpful.
Last edited by Reddog807 on Mon. Apr. 13, 2020 5:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Apr. 12, 2020 9:14 pm

They are still being made so unless they changed the design a new hopper should be able to be bought. Great price you got!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Apr. 12, 2020 9:15 pm

R, Nice find--how's the grates look? If ya post some pix--inside & outside--beats shootin in the dark with suggestions. PLUS--if ya put location in your profile, might be a place close by for any parts, etc. I promise, nobody's gonna steal ya!! :)

Reddog807
Other Heating: Vogelzang wood stove and Sierra 1000 wood stove

Post by Reddog807 » Mon. Apr. 13, 2020 5:16 am

Thank you for the advice. The grates look brand new honestly. I'll get more pictures when I get out to my garage. It was a really good find. Last week I also found a Sierra model 1000 wood stove for free too. Everyone is switching to gas heat and dumping their old heating units.

Attachments

Snapchat-1836607297.jpg
.JPG | 310.2KB | Snapchat-1836607297.jpg
Snapchat-1397645148.jpg
.JPG | 303.7KB | Snapchat-1397645148.jpg

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Apr. 13, 2020 6:57 am

Good on the pix R. My HITZER hopper looked the same way from wood burning--I was able to purchase a boot from HITZER for the bottom--which was great cause my hopper is welded in place --(looks like yours just bolts in place) --other then that, some TLC & I'm bettin you'll be ready for next heating season. :) Lookin fwd. to more pix.

Hrdnox1
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Pea

Post by Hrdnox1 » Tue. Jun. 02, 2020 2:29 pm

Reddog807 wrote:
Mon. Apr. 13, 2020 5:16 am
Thank you for the advice. The grates look brand new honestly. I'll get more pictures when I get out to my garage. It was a really good find. Last week I also found a Sierra model 1000 wood stove for free too. Everyone is switching to gas heat and dumping their old heating units.
This year was the first year i burned my Kodiak and i love it, Mine too did need some TLC and all the parts are readily available.
If you do a search on here you'll find my threads and i believe i posted the manual for these. Parts can be picked up in Bloomsburg Pa.
I replaced all gaskets and found that the load door gasket can be bumped up in size and provides a better seal.
My hopper is also a bit warped from the previous owner and i will be replacing it this year along with adding a blower.
I replaced all my fire bricks, baffle, side plate brick keepers and front keeper.
Tractor supply had the best deal that i found on rope gasket and replacement bricks starting the end of summer to fall time frame. Buy a few extra brick and load door gaskets to have on hand. I had to replace my load door gasket 3 or 4 times this past burn season.

charlesosborne2002
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: natural gas central forced air

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Wed. Jul. 08, 2020 1:45 pm

Reddog807 wrote:
Sun. Apr. 12, 2020 8:47 pm
Hey all, new member here. Recently, I found an Alaska Kodiak gravity feed coal stove on Facebook marketplace for free. I practically ran out the door to get it. I have intention to spend the summer restoring it and either keeping it or selling it. It needs the usual stuff, fiberglass rope, fire brick, wire wheeled, and painted. The unusual thing it needs is the internal hopper for the coal. The guy who had it before me cooked the hopper out of it. The hopper is melted and warped in really bad ways. Does anyone know if or where I can find a replacement hopper for it? I'm gonna reach out to a dealer up the road from me and try to get some direction from them. Any info would be helpful.
Yes, you can Google the stove to find them. I considered that stove myself, but found an equally good one on sale. I was told that if you use it without the hopper insert, it puts out more BTU's (makes sense--less of the coal is on fire). In my climate, I would use the hopper during fall and spring, and take it out in the dead of winter.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”