Irishcoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm morning
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut
Other Heating: Oil/wood

Post by Irishcoal » Fri. Apr. 17, 2020 8:29 am

CoalHeat wrote:
Fri. Apr. 10, 2020 10:08 pm
You'll find all the info you need on the Legacy Stoves website, there are 4 bolts on the inside of the door that hold the outer window frame and glass in place. You can also contact them and send the photos to help ID the stove. The model can be determined by measuring the stove, as far as the serial number/age that's a bit harder to determine-BUT-the cast door on yours is probably the same one used for years so it's really a non issue.
Those data plates always fall off on the older stoves, the glue melted from the heat of the stove! Mine fell off years ago, I have it in a safe place. Unfortunately I forgot exactly where that safe place is.
I sadly am missing the outer window frame 😭.

I’m going to call legacy with that pdf that was sent over and see if they still cast it and go from there.

Homesteader
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove
Other Heating: H.B. Smith oil fired boiler

Post by Homesteader » Fri. Apr. 17, 2020 9:13 am

The pictures you posted up thread clearly show the gold window frame on the door. Those four bolts inside the door hold the window frame against the glass which holds the glass in place. From those pictures you aren't missing anything. Call Legacy and if asked e-mail them those pictures. I'm sure they'll straighten things out for you.

Irishcoal

Post by Irishcoal » Fri. Apr. 17, 2020 8:57 pm

Homesteader wrote:
Fri. Apr. 17, 2020 9:13 am
The pictures you posted up thread clearly show the gold window frame on the door. Those four bolts inside the door hold the window frame against the glass which holds the glass in place. From those pictures you aren't missing anything. Call Legacy and if asked e-mail them those pictures. I'm sure they'll straighten things out for you.
Sorry I miss spoke, I called them and they said there are four window clips and the glass itself I need to buy and I’m all set. I’m going to redo gaskets and clean it up with elbow grease in the next few days.

Homesteader

Post by Homesteader » Sat. Apr. 18, 2020 10:22 am

Glad your getting the parts you need. Good luck with the refurb. I think you'll like the stove. Very happy with mine over the years.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sun. Apr. 26, 2020 7:21 am

Homesteader wrote:
Sat. Apr. 18, 2020 10:22 am
Glad your getting the parts you need. Good luck with the refurb. I think you'll like the stove. Very happy with mine over the years.
Two days ago I noticed my glass move a little while I was wiping some ash off it. I tightened the bolts on the frame. Two were lose quarter turn. Still moves a little if I push on it. This normal? I had thought the gaskets held it firmly. Has been burning the same, but that is only with 2 weeks experience of running it.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Apr. 26, 2020 9:10 am

Better it moves than break it over tightening it as long as it's sealed up. A dab of high temp cement in a couple of spots on the gasket may stop it from moving around if you want another project.

Homesteader

Post by Homesteader » Sun. Apr. 26, 2020 9:40 am

Like CS said ,be careful about overtightening the bolts. I'd let it go till you shut down for the summer then I'd get some new glass gasket from legacy. It's kind of a flat wrap around gasket that's only supposed to go on the sides of the glass leaving the top and bottom with a thin gap that's supposed to be for the air wash. When I replaced my glass a couple of years ago I put the gasket on the sides & also the top. That helped to reduce the secondary overfire air so I was getting more heat from the stove. Also if you replace the gasket I'd hand tighten the 4 bolts that hold the window frame to the door then slowly tighten them by tweaking one bolt moving to the next then repeat until the glass is just snug. That way you won't put to much stress on one corner of the glass causing a crack. When I did mine after the stove was burning for a few days I tweaked each one just a bit more after things had settled in. Also put some antisieze on the bolt threads before putting them back in.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sun. Apr. 26, 2020 9:27 pm

Thanks guys. Good info. Yeah, I'm thinking I'll cover outer two thirds of glass on top, as well as sides when I do it. :yes:

Irishcoal

Post by Irishcoal » Sat. Oct. 31, 2020 5:39 pm

Homesteader wrote:
Sun. Apr. 26, 2020 9:40 am
Like CS said ,be careful about overtightening the bolts. I'd let it go till you shut down for the summer then I'd get some new glass gasket from legacy. It's kind of a flat wrap around gasket that's only supposed to go on the sides of the glass leaving the top and bottom with a thin gap that's supposed to be for the air wash. When I replaced my glass a couple of years ago I put the gasket on the sides & also the top. That helped to reduce the secondary overfire air so I was getting more heat from the stove. Also if you replace the gasket I'd hand tighten the 4 bolts that hold the window frame to the door then slowly tighten them by tweaking one bolt moving to the next then repeat until the glass is just snug. That way you won't put to much stress on one corner of the glass causing a crack. When I did mine after the stove was burning for a few days I tweaked each one just a bit more after things had settled in. Also put some antisieze on the bolt threads before putting them back in.
I worked on it this summer and got side tracked but just got into it again now that it’s winter. I will put anti seize on the bolts!

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Oct. 31, 2020 5:46 pm

Good Idea! Can You upgrade to high quality stainless fasteners? Just a little more reliability and insurance to go with that high temperature never-seize!!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”