Sad in Alabama

charlesosborne2002
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: natural gas central forced air

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Sat. Feb. 29, 2020 10:35 am

Vonda wrote:
Sat. Feb. 29, 2020 8:48 am
Hi there, i thought i had responded to this. Clearly, i didnt.
I use TSC. I cant find any place else that is affordable.
It appears no one believes people burn coal in the south. Most places have bituminous coal for $17 a bag for welders.
You are lucky in Alabama because Alabama uses Chicago's distribution center and coal is on the product list. Georgia use Macon's distribution center, it doesn't have coal on its list. I use to travel to Alabama to get coal until a TSC store manager took pity on me. Luckily, several welders in the area was asking for coal as well.
If you hear of a place that sells coal let me know.
No TSC in my area carries coal, and my store manager said she tried it for years to no avail--till I told her that a TSC 30 miles away carries it for blacksmiths there. She called him and found it was quite easy to get one bag or a pallet, so she has supplied me ever since. (I agreed to buy up remainders at the end of season so her buying office would not gripe about it.) She puts it out so other people can see they have it--they sell a few that way. Here, it costs more than natural gas, but far less than electric or propane, so people in the country around here ought to consider it. But home wood stoves made in the last 40 years are not made for coal. People can buy those made for sheds or barns and burn coal in them, but I doubt they are the best stoves. I think most people around here that buy wood or coal stoves look for the cheapest thing they can find (or old used ones for nothing).

I suspect that if your TSC warehouse does not stock it, your store could still special order a pallet out of their other warehouses. I live by the Mississippi River, yet I pay no more than customers in coal country, PA, because warehouse shipments come every week regardless, so there is no shipping cost added as there is with FOB shipments from outside suppliers.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Feb. 29, 2020 11:06 am

Some stores can order it and some cant. Personally I think its more the manager spending time to figure it out. The price does vary some on the east side of the Mississippi River, and it jumps $2/bag ($8.99/bag) on the west side of the river where I am. They can keep it.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Feb. 29, 2020 12:00 pm

warminmn wrote:
Sat. Feb. 29, 2020 11:06 am
Some stores can order it and some cant. Personally I think its more the manager spending time to figure it out....
...there you go.

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Sat. Feb. 29, 2020 12:29 pm

Has anyone ever noticed that a lot of the bigger coal dealers are on here answering questions, taking complaints and compliments, and not a word from TSC? We all have to guess at where to buy it, guess where its from, etc, and not a word from them.... i know many here have to buy it because of price and/or location or maybe they even like it better, I get that. Ive bought it myself. Maybe 3 or 4 pallets in the past when on sale. But zero feedback from them on the only coal forum there is? They could do better than that. Just my opinion.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Feb. 29, 2020 1:59 pm

W, TSC would/could but won't--I wouldn't consider them a coal dealor plus most of the employees don't have a clue when it comes to coal burning. :)

CorrosionMan
Location: SE Ohio - Carrolton/Kilgore/Perrysville -- inbetween
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Hitzer 82 FA
Coal Size/Type: Reading NUT 40lb plastic bags
Other Heating: Heat Pump

Post by CorrosionMan » Sat. Feb. 29, 2020 3:26 pm

I'd guess that amount of money TSC makes from coal sales is dangerously close for coal being discontinued.

Just guessing.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Feb. 29, 2020 4:29 pm

I doubt if that happens, but it could. Too many Amish in places where there are TSC stores and no other coal dealers.

That said, whoever sells TSC their coal, I’d say they sell way more in bulk or in their own bags than what they sell to TSC. It’s likely just another avenue for them to move coal and make a little more money. It’s not like it’s costing them much to ship it since shipping costs are shared by so many other product manufacturers. Really a win, win, for that coal company.

CorrosionMan
Location: SE Ohio - Carrolton/Kilgore/Perrysville -- inbetween
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Hitzer 82 FA
Coal Size/Type: Reading NUT 40lb plastic bags
Other Heating: Heat Pump

Post by CorrosionMan » Sat. Feb. 29, 2020 4:44 pm

I was speaking that TSC would drop coal.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Feb. 29, 2020 6:29 pm

Understood that. I’m saying that TSC as a whole... they won’t stop carrying it. Maybe that wasn’t clear by my post. It should be now. I’m often wrong though. I’m guessing as well. Lol!

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Sat. Feb. 29, 2020 7:30 pm

I think it is what it is and I don't see anything that can change the status quo, at least in the near term. Places with large pop densities use natural gas, Heating oil prices are in the $2.50 range and the oil supply seems relatively stable. Seems like more folks outside areas served by gas pipelines are going with propane and heat pumps... then there's pellets and wood. Maybe choice is a good thing unless you like warming up to a coal stove. You could be living west of the Mississippi.

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Sat. Feb. 29, 2020 10:31 pm

keegs wrote:
Sat. Feb. 29, 2020 7:30 pm
I think it is what it is and I don't see anything that can change the status quo, at least in the near term. Places with large pop densities use natural gas, Heating oil prices are in the $2.50 range and the oil supply seems relatively stable. Seems like more folks outside areas served by gas pipelines are going with propane and heat pumps... then there's pellets and wood. Maybe choice is a good thing unless you like warming up to a coal stove. You could be living west of the Mississippi.
Yep. I am so lucky to have close sources where I live besides TSC. Obviously I could use propane at a slightly higher, sometimes lower cost but Im a space heater person. I love having a hot spot.

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Sun. Mar. 01, 2020 6:36 am

WM....One day someone will identify a dark, hard, shiny area of the brain that derives pleasure from burning coal.

Meanwhile, It's zero degrees and foggy outside...The Chubby has been running all night at 360 deg (by the side thermometer) ....Inside it's a comfortable, dry 68 deg .. and I just poured a fresh cup of coffee.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”