Hitzer 50-93 New style Hopper

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Mar. 17, 2020 11:36 pm

They are the same box...identical. Just asked Dean less than two months ago. Doors are the same, grates sit same distance below the door lip.

I thought the same, but after seeing them in person, they are the same.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Tue. Mar. 17, 2020 11:46 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Tue. Mar. 17, 2020 11:36 pm
They are the same box...identical. Just asked Dean less than two months ago. Doors are the same, grates sit same distance below the door lip.

I thought the same, but after seeing them in person, they are the same.
...and there you have it... Thanks Hoytman

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Mar. 18, 2020 12:07 am

I think I put 94 lbs in mine, not 96, after looking at my thread. I also recall I could have added more at the time had I more experience at the time.

I think I might be able to put in 3 bags. Actually we may find out after this warm spell if it cools down again. I have exactly 3 bags of nut left. By tomorrow the 5 bags of pea will be gone.

Even if I can get in 3 bags, it would be because the bricks I put in under the door lip are full sized brick and they stick up above the door opening. I don’t mind the look. The extra few inches helps it to hold more coal.

Factory 254/354 and 30-95 and 50/93 stoves have brick that are ripped down so that the front bricks sit even with the door lip.

BlackBetty06
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Nut
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Wed. Mar. 18, 2020 6:52 am

Oliver thats interesting you like hitzers grates more. To each their own I guess lol. I dont have any real complaints with the hitzer grate except it seems that it can get a few dead spots more easily than the harman. Maybe its my coal or tending/firing technique too. I can say though that it seems like the hitzer grates will chew up a clinker better though if one is to get lodged when shaking. I remember having to shut the harman down for such an occasion whereas the hitzer I gave a little extra force on the handle and it busted up the problem. I wish there was a way that I could get my 50-93 modified for the double door setup like the 354 has. I really like the look of it number one and number two Id like to be able to add “X” amount of overfire air for those couple times a year that I burn some bituminous or wood in the shoulder season. Combine the removable hopper with double door and overfire air would be like having the 50-93 and 354 in one package. You couldnt beat that with a stick!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”