Chubby question

kweis

Post by kweis » Mon. Jan. 20, 2020 10:05 pm

Haven't been on here in five years (previous was when it was NEPA Crossroads). Still have my little German Wittigsthal stove I run a handful of times a winter but will be changing over to coal from wood when my free firewood source runs out in a few years. Hence I've been Looking at the Chubby's and Jr Chubby's and are taken by them. Torn between the JR and the full size. The stove would be sitting in a 11 X 13 room with an open doorway to the main house. House is a 1886 ballon frame construction no insulation in walls save for 1/2" foam under vinyl siding. This room has 3.25 exposed sides (outside walls). Has strong natural airflow from room into the main house. If the full size Chubby can be throttled down to surface temps around 300 I think that can work for me instead of the Jr as they apparently aren't making them anymore and are harder to come by. Right now the aforementioned room has a Vermont Castings Intrepid flexburn that heats well. But has said if I have to pay for wood coal it will be. Trying to plan ahead here. Thoughts?

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Jan. 20, 2020 10:30 pm

No insulation... large Chubby. 300 is a nice temp to run most coal stoves as then you know you can run it hotter in extreme cold weather. As dumb as this may sound to you, you can always crack a window in mild weather and its better than not having a big enough stove in cold weather.

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Tue. Jan. 21, 2020 6:52 am

+1 ...

I run my Chubby (standard size) around 280-300 most of the time with the MPD and the primary air closed. If the temp drops I open the primary as needed. I bought mine used 3-4 years ago. It's 40 years old and still in very sound working order. I replaced the grate, the gaskets and added an ash catcher (just to gussy it up some). I have an old style fire pot (probably original).

If you choose to go with the Chubby, check the condition of the grate and firepot (these are among the most likely and expensive parts to replace). Also check the grate ring retainer that sits atop the grate. The more recent gen firepot with the bottom cross bar and grate pin will allow for easier shaking. The bottom heat shield should be standard on these stoves but not sure. Of course make sure the doors and MPD operate normally.

Lots of Chubby stoves in the FB and CL listings. Plain but fancy.

kweis

Post by kweis » Tue. Jan. 21, 2020 10:45 am

Thanks for the replys! It would be going into a 6" SS liner that's in a 24' outside brick masonry chimney. Draft is not overwhelming so this should bid well for runing the Coal stove low. The newer room addition the stove is in was built around 1900.

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Tue. Jan. 21, 2020 11:01 am

Get the big one. If your in New England, as stated, FB & C/L sales are populated. I have 2 with blowers, one top vent, one rear vent.(1979 models-built like a tank) Real good heaters, and, you can still get parts from the guy who makes them!!!
Cheers

kweis

Post by kweis » Tue. Jan. 21, 2020 6:11 pm

I'm in north central Maryland. It gets to below zero or around that a few times a winter here. My quest to find a Chubby will probably be in southern PA.

Bob500
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite nut
Other Heating: gas steam

Post by Bob500 » Sat. Jan. 25, 2020 6:28 pm

Go with the large one. I have mine in a small insulated sun room on the back of my Cape Cod house. It does a nice job and can be brought down to a low idle on warmer days. It is rugged and parts are easy to get.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Jan. 25, 2020 7:37 pm

Big one definitely--best to have more & tone it down then to need more & not have it available!!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”