D.S. vrs Hitzer Bi-metalic thermostat

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sat. Jan. 18, 2020 11:02 pm

Hello all,

Having run both stoves, I thought I'd post my observations / findings, along with differences / functions of the D.S., and Hitzer bi-metallic thermostats.... I welcome others to add there thoughts / experiences / comments.

The D.S. is well made. The flapper door is cast aluminum, and hinges on a pin (hinge pin). When near closed, it too (like the Hitzer) will tap continuously. However, being a heavy cast aluminum, it is a deadened, dull tapping, which is not annoying. The control knob turn ratio is much lower than the Hitzer in order to handle the weight of that heavy cast aluminum flapper door. I'm assuming the spring is heavier as well, making it hard to fully close the flapper door during wind gusts. Instead, it pulls air through the over fire inlets, taking heat up the chimney. D.S. recommends installing a damper of some kind in the stove pipe for reducing this draw.

The Hitzer flapper door is nothing more than a piece of sheet metal. The upper part of the flapper is notched to slip into another sheet metal slot, which together, acts as a hinging point (No hinge pin). When close to being closed, you will hear a tapping noise, which can be annoying to some people, if watching TV in the living quarters. Hitzer installed a magnet just inside the primary air inlet to prevent this tapping noise. That's all the magnet is for. It needs to be adjusted for minimum magnetic pull on the flapper door. Just enough to stop the tapping. Any more, and it interferes with stove performance. The control knob turn ratio is much higher on the Hitzer, as it doesn't take much to hold that light weight tin flapper door. I assume the spring is a little lighter as well. Some might say; Why would Hitzer build such a nice stove, and install such a light weight, cheap, bi-metallic thermostat. The answer is: Being light weight, it responds almost instantly to wind gusts. It closes instantly, allowing air to be drawn through the ash pan vents, livening up the fire. Heat going up the chimney during a gust is not a big concern, due to the long path around the hopper.

So there ya have it:
The D.S. bimetallic is a better build quality, and works quite well.

The Hitzer bimetallic is lighter. It's built for quick response, and stove performance. It also works quite well.

I have had the flapper on the Hitzer stick open after a puff back. Maybe a hinge pin would be a plus... Then again, being light weight, maybe not....

11ultra103
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93, DS Comfortmax 75
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by 11ultra103 » Sun. Jan. 19, 2020 12:24 am

oliver power wrote:
Sat. Jan. 18, 2020 11:02 pm
Hello all,

Having run both stoves, I thought I'd post my observations / findings, along with differences / functions of the D.S., and Hitzer bi-metallic thermostats.... I welcome others to add there thoughts / experiences / comments.

The D.S. is well made. The flapper door is cast aluminum, and hinges on a pin (hinge pin). When near closed, it too (like the Hitzer) will tap continuously. However, being a heavy cast aluminum, it is a deadened, dull tapping, which is not annoying. The control knob turn ratio is much lower than the Hitzer in order to handle the weight of that heavy cast aluminum flapper door. I'm assuming the spring is heavier as well, making it hard to fully close the flapper door during wind gusts. Instead, it pulls air through the over fire inlets, taking heat up the chimney. D.S. recommends installing a damper of some kind in the stove pipe for reducing this draw.

The Hitzer flapper door is nothing more than a piece of sheet metal. The upper part of the flapper is notched to slip into another sheet metal slot, which together, acts as a hinging point (No hinge pin). When close to being closed, you will hear a tapping noise, which can be annoying to some people, if watching TV in the living quarters. Hitzer installed a magnet just inside the primary air inlet to prevent this tapping noise. That's all the magnet is for. It needs to be adjusted for minimum magnetic pull on the flapper door. Just enough to stop the tapping. Any more, and it interferes with stove performance. The control knob turn ratio is much higher on the Hitzer, as it doesn't take much to hold that light weight tin flapper door. I assume the spring is a little lighter as well. Some might say; Why would Hitzer build such a nice stove, and install such a light weight, cheap, bi-metallic thermostat. The answer is: Being light weight, it responds almost instantly to wind gusts. It closes instantly, allowing air to be drawn through the ash pan vents, livening up the fire. Heat going up the chimney during a gust is not a big concern, due to the long path around the hopper.

So there ya have it:
The D.S. bimetallic is a better build quality, and works quite well.

The Hitzer bimetallic is lighter. It's built for quick response, and stove performance. It also works quite well.

I have had the flapper on the Hitzer stick open after a puff back. Maybe a hinge pin would be a plus... Then again, being light weight, maybe not....
So which do you feel performed better? Also which model Hitzer, and Which model DS? Did you use a damper with either stove?

oliver power
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sun. Jan. 19, 2020 4:56 am

11ultra103 wrote:
Sun. Jan. 19, 2020 12:24 am
So which do you feel performed better? Also which model Hitzer, and Which model DS? Did you use a damper with either stove?
Although briefly touching on a stove feature, the topic is on the two bi-metallic dampers. One has a much better build quality than the other. That being said, the other is built for quick response, which is why it's built lighter. It does the job, and has nothing to do with the quality of the build. Personally, I like the build quality of the D.S.. The Hitzer has a wider adjustment range on the knob, which is nice. In the end, they are the same, only different. If you were to look at the two side by side, you'd say that one's nice, and the other is junk. Fact is; any stove I've seen with a bimetallic thermostat has a tin flapper door.

JohnB
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Mostly nut, some pea

Post by JohnB » Sun. Jan. 19, 2020 9:22 am

Must be another benefit of my barometric damper as I've only gotten that flapper tapping with my 50-93 in the shoulder months when the baro is out & the tee is capped. During the heating season the flap is either open or closed, no back & forth. I also keep the ash pan vents fully closed unless burning wood Spring & Fall.

oliver power

Post by oliver power » Sun. Jan. 19, 2020 6:13 pm

JohnB wrote:
Sun. Jan. 19, 2020 9:22 am
Must be another benefit of my barometric damper as I've only gotten that flapper tapping with my 50-93 in the shoulder months when the baro is out & the tee is capped. During the heating season the flap is either open or closed, no back & forth. I also keep the ash pan vents fully closed unless burning wood Spring & Fall.
My D.S. has a barometric damper install, as per D.S. instructions. If not, excess BTU's would go up the chimney due to non adjustable over fire air. Oh, the heavy cast aluminum D.S. flapper taps.....

The Hitzer flapper won't ever tap if the magnet is properly adjusted. That's what the magnet is for, to prevent tapping...

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Sun. Jan. 19, 2020 6:52 pm

The only time my DS 1500 flapper taps is if there was a puff back of some kind.

I adjust my chain as per heating needs. In the shoulder months the chain is 2 balls longer, semi cold weather it gets shorten one ball, deep cold another ball shorter. I like knob straight up and down per average stove temps.

Over fire air is controlled with amount a bolts closing off air wash for the window.

Mine is almost antique, had it about 20 years.

oliver power

Post by oliver power » Mon. Jan. 20, 2020 4:49 am

mntbugy wrote:
Sun. Jan. 19, 2020 6:52 pm
The only time my DS 1500 flapper taps is if there was a puff back of some kind.

I adjust my chain as per heating needs. In the shoulder months the chain is 2 balls longer, semi cold weather it gets shorten one ball, deep cold another ball shorter. I like knob straight up and down per average stove temps.

Over fire air is controlled with amount a bolts closing off air wash for the window.

Mine is almost antique, had it about 20 years.
I use to close off using bolts when first playing with the stove. The D.S. pockets gas. I had the biggest explosion ever in a coal stove. I leave the holes wide open for dilution of gasses now.

mntbugy
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way

Post by mntbugy » Mon. Jan. 20, 2020 7:18 am

Oliver,

Kingcoal, rberg and I had to hold your hand for a while with your DS. :D

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Jan. 20, 2020 8:35 am

Hence, the purpose of the FORUM----------who held yours M?????????????? :)

mntbugy

Post by mntbugy » Mon. Jan. 20, 2020 8:44 am

Nobody, no puters back then. Grandpa, and Grandma showed me the ropes on high volitle bit.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Jan. 20, 2020 9:19 am

LOL--indeed M. :)

oliver power

Post by oliver power » Mon. Jan. 20, 2020 3:11 pm

mntbugy wrote:
Mon. Jan. 20, 2020 7:18 am
Oliver,

Kingcoal, rberg and I had to hold your hand for a while with your DS. :D
Yes You's Did..... :) Appreciated ALL of you's help. Some real trial & error..... The D.S. continually had me baffled, as I expected the D.S.(being twice the stove) to dwarf the Hitzer 30-95. Turns out it was the other way around.... It is, what it is..... The D.S. is still a likeable stove. And may work great in other applications. But not in my application...... Seeing I have had the two stoves, I was willing to share my experiences.... Have to say; it has been fun to play with. If I had simply bought a 50-93, I may have had fun, but not the same fun.....

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”