Hitzer 354: First coal fire in a few days

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Dec. 19, 2019 10:41 pm

If not tomorrow, then on Saturday, I’ll be doing a test run of the Hitzer 354 outside.

Just cleaned the glass and put new gasket material around the glass.

All door gaskets are out, channels have been cleaned, test fit of new gaskets, and I am ready to put them in permanently with gasket adhesive.

Still need to order my manometer.

Here’s my coal stash, which should get me a good start and get me through the rest of winter. Will also help me decide which will serve me best for a bulk order.
6 Bags TSC Nut
5 Bags Blashak Pea
10 Bags Lehigh Nut
20 Bags Blashak Nut
0495D347-781E-4C4A-B605-1A49F926BE9D.jpeg
.JPEG | 1MB | 0495D347-781E-4C4A-B605-1A49F926BE9D.jpeg

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Dec. 19, 2019 10:50 pm

By the way,
I’m going to go out on a limb here and tell you about an observation I’ve made on the coal...even before I open any of the bags.

Just by handling the bags I can tell...it seems...which brand has less fines and the most consistent sizing...just by feeling the bags.

The Lehigh feels most consistent by feel, and less fines in the bag. Next would be the Blashak, last would be the TSC...which I think is Reading coal.

Will use the pea on top of the nut when it’s warmer outside to help idle the stove.

Anyone want to make any recommendations which brand I should start with?

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Dec. 20, 2019 12:07 am

TSC nut already has the pea in it...and the rice and the buckwheat. :P

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Dec. 20, 2019 12:16 am

Going to try burning off of the front grate only. Anyone have any input regarding how to cover the back grate? I have extra bricks. Wasn’t sure if I could lay them flat. Thought maybe try to angle them, but also not sure if I get get them to stay in that position.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Dec. 20, 2019 12:17 am

McGiever wrote:
Fri. Dec. 20, 2019 12:07 am
TSC nut already has the pea in it...and the rice and the buckwheat. :P
Are you saying it would be good for spring shoulder season, Larry? Lol!!! I here it’s junk...

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Dec. 20, 2019 12:44 am

Hoytman wrote:
Fri. Dec. 20, 2019 12:17 am
Are you saying it would be good for spring shoulder season, Larry? Lol!!! I here it’s junk...
Bill,
I've seen some bags of nut that were pretty bad with fines to rocks and with some real coal and lots of unburnables...then I've seen bags of nut as I've described above but they still burned pretty good and hot...was just that the sizing was pretty loose.

When you see what's inside you'll have to make a call as to when to use it. ;)

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Dec. 20, 2019 1:05 am

Hoytman wrote:
Fri. Dec. 20, 2019 12:16 am
Going to try burning off of the front grate only. Anyone have any input regarding how to cover the back grate? I have extra bricks. Wasn’t sure if I could lay them flat. Thought maybe try to angle them, but also not sure if I get get them to stay in that position.
Or simplify it and just let ash build up on the back grate and not shake it... or is that not possible with your stove??? Crap, the early alziemers has kicked in! I forget...

McG's description of the bags of TSC match mine fairly close.

Best and worst on the same pallet for me. In a perfect world with smiley faces, dry coal, the right sized as advertised, with your multitude of coal choices I'd start it with the TSC, but only if it isnt wet, so it must have been bought a year ago, or months ago, and have holes poked in the bags to be dry as those bags are almost airtight. Poke holes in the bags, even if not TSC. Wet coal is not good at all for starting a fire. i could darned near light dusty dry TSC with a match if its nut sized, it does have its positives! Takes off easy except for the fines. Kimmels was nice for me that way too, the easy lighting, much less fines. After thats burning, throw any half dry coal you have on top of it slowly, shake it every 12 hrs thereafter, add as needed, read a book, watch a movie, enjoy life.

After i figured it out years ago, lighting it is easy. Keeping it burning is much harder to learn. Much much harder. Then you figure it all out and its easy. So easy you think you were real dumb not figuring it out quicker. Its not rocket science.

Get that thing in your house and start enjoying it!

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Dec. 20, 2019 1:46 am

I’m trying. Lol!

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Dec. 21, 2019 7:21 am

You're going to burn a bag a day. More if it's cold. Use the Lehigh to get it going and figure things out. It will be the most consistent. Learn the way it's supposed to run, then use coal that you're not sure of. I wouldn't worry about restricting firebed until you know it will give you heat you want.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sat. Dec. 21, 2019 9:59 am

I agree with others. Put the stove in, and enjoy it. If unsure of which coal to start with, choose the one that has been suggested. Once you have an established bed of coals, use the brand that's on top. The Hitzer has nice grates, and doesn't care much about which brand of coal you use. They will all burn good in a Hitzer. Remember to always leave a hot spot....

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Sat. Dec. 21, 2019 11:36 am

41 bags will get you through January.... unless you move the whole shabang to Arizona. :) keep an eye out for those TSC sales... Enjoy the new flame Bill.

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Sat. Dec. 21, 2019 12:06 pm

Hoytman good luck with your new Hitzer words can’t describe how pleased I am with my 983! I’m burning Lehigh nut... bag a day give or take. Fill her up dial her in and sit back and enjoy easy street and all the heat you need or don’t need by controlling how much air goes in your bed of coal! In a short time you will be amazed!

Jenp
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Hitzer 503

Post by Jenp » Sat. Dec. 21, 2019 1:52 pm

I’m using a hitzer 503 insert with anthrocite.
Is it normal to have chunks of burnt coal in the ash pan?

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Dec. 21, 2019 3:12 pm

Anyone have any recommendations for where to put the magnet thermometers on a 354 double door blower model?

I assume the sides of stove would be good. Not sure of getting an accurate reading from the top since it’s a blower model.

I have two (2) magnet mount thermometers and a IR fun. One magnet therm will be placed on the pipe. I plan to get another so that I can have two on the stove so they can be seen from either end of them room. Probably should mount them high on the sides I guess.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Dec. 21, 2019 4:24 pm

Yep----next page :)
Last edited by freetown fred on Sat. Dec. 21, 2019 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”