High winds high heat chimney questions

Bluesdad
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Hitzer 50 93
Other Heating: Electric heat pump

Post by Bluesdad » Thu. Nov. 28, 2019 10:45 am

Ok I have been keeping the house around 72 degree till yesterday. We had high winds 40 mph gust here and manometer went nuts. From .03 to .15 Normally stays at .05 with the high winds house heated to 80+. And was using a 40 lb bag in a day and a half. To a full bag a day. I have no damper at all on the chimney. This morning the wind has died down and house temp are back to normal. If I install 3 or 4 more feet on the chimney and a barometric damper. Will this fix the problem? My chimney is only 13 feet tall now but it is 12 inches above the peak. And the home is on the bottom of a hill side. Thanks in advance and Happy and safe Thanksgiving to all!

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Nov. 28, 2019 10:57 am

I'm kinda surprised that the bi metallic thermostat on your 50-93 didn't react and keep the stove's heat output in check.. is it working properly?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Nov. 28, 2019 11:04 am

-.15 is sucking the heat right out. You need to get a handle on that.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Nov. 28, 2019 11:23 am

House at 80 sure indicates bimetallic operated damper is not closing down enough or else doors gaskets are leaking,
Only with no high winds and a 13' chimney you didn't realize this issue, but it's true.
If you know door gaskets are good then look over chain length to see if it is adjusted too short which doesn't allow it to close down to bearly a thin gap to avoid overheating.
Having enough draft, wind or no wind, plus no extra unneeded air being drawn in and you then will have full control of heat output.
Last edited by McGiever on Thu. Nov. 28, 2019 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bluesdad

Post by Bluesdad » Thu. Nov. 28, 2019 11:28 am

Yes the metallic seams to work just fine. When we got colder temps I would just turn it up a little and the home would warm up or vice versa. But with this wind the coal bed would just glow. I try turning it down to even slack in the chain and hours later still glowing strong. The ash door vents are still just barely open maybe a half a moon. The stove has all new gaskets so I don't believe they are leaking. Now this morning the wind has died down outside temp was 36 degrees home 72 with the stove set back to old setting. That's why I am thinking the draft is just to high in the wind.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Nov. 28, 2019 11:29 am

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not anti-baro--I just know that I've tried both & my MPD works excellent along with bi-metallic for days you've just described-- I keep MPD 2/3 closed at ALL times. No muss, no fuss.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Nov. 28, 2019 11:38 am

Then ash door vents are where it's getting extra air then...slow that air one way or another...

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Nov. 28, 2019 11:48 am

The combination of strong draft and your ash door vents being slightly open is what caused the stove to run so warm. Closing the ash vents completely may solve this, but likely the real fix is to regulate the draft...which can be done with a barometric damper, or a manual pipe damper. If you prefer set-it-and-forget-it, a baro is the way to go.

Bluesdad

Post by Bluesdad » Thu. Nov. 28, 2019 11:55 am

Ok my metallic dial has 1 thru 15 on the dial. I am set on 6. I have 22 balls left on the chain. The chain on the door side is just tight. It is lifting the door on the hinge but not opening it. If I turn it back any I have slack. My coal bed is glowing even under the stones. But yesterday the hole bed was glowing. Fred if I put a mpd on it I am afraid i won't get enough draft. With no wind it stays real close to. 05 with the stove running. And around .02 with no fire at all.

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Thu. Nov. 28, 2019 12:05 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Thu. Nov. 28, 2019 11:29 am
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not anti-baro--I just know that I've tried both & my MPD works excellent along with bi-metallic for days you've just described-- I keep MPD 2/3 closed at ALL times. No muss, no fuss.
Mpd controls the (non forced air) stove by holding the air from pushing from the stove, baro tames and regulates the chimney draft by limiting the pull.

Tame the chimney first. Then maybe the existing stove controls will be enough to regulate your burn.

It sounds like they were overwhelmed by the high winds.

We can't control the outdoor environment. A baro adjusts automatically to changing conditions, Even when you aren't home or near the stove.

MPD's have their use, for sure, but it sounds like this situation would benefit from a good baro install.

Bluesdad

Post by Bluesdad » Thu. Nov. 28, 2019 12:29 pm

Ok so I am get from the replys to add a damper. Barometric or a mpd. More so the barometric but with the chimney having only .05 with fire in normal to no wind. Do I need to add more chimney to it to increase the draft?

Bluesdad

Post by Bluesdad » Thu. Nov. 28, 2019 12:31 pm

Like I said .03 to .15 with high winds and .02 with no fire.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Nov. 28, 2019 12:37 pm

You are misunderstood how a baro works. It opens when the draft exceeds a set value. e.g. -0.05. if the draft is less than that, the baro stays closed.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Thu. Nov. 28, 2019 12:39 pm

the stove was simply being over fed primary air.

you would have been fine with the ash door vents closed and the bi metal flap set to stay open about the width of a small paper clip leg.

your chimney is like mine, -.02 on a warm summer afternoon no fire. it's a gift not a problem esp. with a bi metal control.

you can run that stove on the heat setting i described and never have a problem at -.02 with a fire going.

-.05 is giving up heat and using extra fuel at every heat setting.

take the hose off the stove side of your mano. and put it in your mouth, now see how much draw it takes to get -.05 and IF you can even hold it there. try -.02 as well.

our stoves are BARELY moving any air at all and all the baro. is showing you is how much velocity it is moving at.

if you have a tight well insulated house a baro. may do no harm but ,if you have leaky windows and doors and little insulation it will certainly draw more outside air into the house than you can keep heated, net result, colder house and more so the higher you turn up the stove and / or have high winds opening the baro.

cry havoc and loose the dogs of war
steve

Bluesdad

Post by Bluesdad » Thu. Nov. 28, 2019 1:23 pm

KingCoal the house is tight and well insulated. Like yesterday I left the house at 8 am. The winds kick up around 10 am I returned at 4 pm to 84 degrees. Now I understand the ash door vents but I wasn't her to close them. Now the hitzer manual said to run at .03 to .06 Under fire I am .05 And I live on a hill side witch I am going to get a down draft and up drafts per the wind. If I add more chimney I should have more draft. Then add a baro and set it to .05 like I have now. I should be good to go? If I just add a barometric with such a low draft how do I set it so it doesn't drop below .03 and get co in the house? Yes this is my first year with coal but have had great success with keeping the stove going and not over heating the house. But this wind and hills is a hole different story.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”