Tractor Supply Test

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Feb. 25, 2020 5:16 pm

Burning 3 brands and had zero clinkers. You sure you y’all aren’t burning bit? Lol!!!

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Feb. 25, 2020 5:20 pm

After burning this last brand I’m not so sure the TSC is all that bad. All three are burning, it’s just that two are burning slower...I suppose because of all the fines in the bags. This last brand is is wet...to the point of freezing solid if left outside.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Tue. Feb. 25, 2020 5:53 pm

The first pallet I had from Tsc wasn’t too bad. The second pallet was horrible. It wasn’t a full pallet and had been restacked. I’m betting it was returned bags from customers who didn’t want to mess with the fines.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Mar. 02, 2020 10:08 pm

I just checked on my local TSC website, found nut coal, and checked the specs...

...plainly listed it as being from Kimmels as of March 2, 2020.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Mar. 02, 2020 10:13 pm

I tried to do a screen shot on this Iphone, but I haven’t figured out how to do it yet, so I copied and pasted specifications below. I had been told that TSC coal was likely Reading coal...but this should put that all to bed. It is not Reading, rather, it is Kimmels. See below...

Specification Description
Fabric Weight: 640 oz.
Material: Rock
Product Weight: 40 lb.
Package Size: 40 lb.
Package Height: 6 in.
Package Length: 19 in.
Package Quantity: 1
Package Width: 30 in.
Brand: Kimmel's Coal and Packaging
Manufacturer Part Number 1801 40 LB NUT
Last edited by Hoytman on Mon. Mar. 02, 2020 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Mar. 02, 2020 10:15 pm

They sold Kimmels in Kimmels bags the 1st year or two then they switched but never updated their specs. Its Reading now.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Mar. 02, 2020 10:22 pm

Ok...I had edited my post above, but here’s a thought on that...

Unless Reading bought Kimmels how could they be using their name and their packaging? Generally that’s the stuff lawsuits are made from.

Dean at Hitzer had told me he too thought it was now Reading...and you and him may still be right, but like I was saying...

Did reading purchase a bunch of unused bags from Kimmels.

Oh...I see...TSC hasn’t changed their specs on “their” website. Ok...that makes more sense.

Well then, the specs I posted above are only proof TSC hasn’t changed their specs. Hmnnn...I would think that too could cause some legal challenges, but oh well.

Your comments matches what I had been told.

tmbrddl
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 30, Oak Andes 216
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove

Post by tmbrddl » Sun. Mar. 15, 2020 2:53 am

keegs wrote:
Mon. Jan. 06, 2020 7:49 am
Morning tmbrddl. Are you getting your Blaschak from Center Farms?
Hey, keegs. I have purchased coal from Center Farms in the past but I can get it at Aroostook Milling right here in Houlton. Isn't there a fellow in Mars Hill that sells Blaschak? Right across the street from Freshies.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Mar. 15, 2020 10:09 am

I missed a 2-$10 sale last week by one day.

ohabanero
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Efel Arden giant 084-65
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: modified Gibraltar LCC double door model
Coal Size/Type: Stove nut and pea
Other Heating: Burnham boiler #2 fuel oil

Post by ohabanero » Sat. Apr. 04, 2020 12:24 pm

Well if you can get your hands on the blaschak give it a try. I swear it's the best heat output low ash and no clinker coal I've burned. I don't even have a choice here now. My dealer ditched Reading Centralia and another hauler for Blaschak about 4 or so years ago and he said he won't carry anything but that now. I had a bunch of tons of really dirty nut from reading for years before that switch and I had to fight it to get it to burn. Ended up screening many tons as I loaded it in the stove through a supermarket grocery basket into a 50 gallon drum. Then I would just add a thin layer of that on top a good hot fire occasionally. That method worked wonders vs trying to get air to flow through all that fines mixed in. Really helped eliminate the clinkers and I could control the fire easy then after that. Was a total pain in the donkey though but better than watching coal not burn!

Attachments

IMG_20200404_122151384_HDR.jpg
.JPG | 301.5KB | IMG_20200404_122151384_HDR.jpg

11ultra103
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93, DS Comfortmax 75
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by 11ultra103 » Mon. Apr. 06, 2020 6:54 am

ohabanero wrote:
Sat. Apr. 04, 2020 12:24 pm
Well if you can get your hands on the blaschak give it a try. I swear it's the best heat output low ash and no clinker coal I've burned. I don't even have a choice here now. My dealer ditched Reading Centralia and another hauler for Blaschak about 4 or so years ago and he said he won't carry anything but that now. I had a bunch of tons of really dirty nut from reading for years before that switch and I had to fight it to get it to burn. Ended up screening many tons as I loaded it in the stove through a supermarket grocery basket into a 50 gallon drum. Then I would just add a thin layer of that on top a good hot fire occasionally. That method worked wonders vs trying to get air to flow through all that fines mixed in. Really helped eliminate the clinkers and I could control the fire easy then after that. Was a total pain in the donkey though but better than watching coal not burn!
Good idea with the basket. I have burned a few bags of reading, and in my experience, it burned well, but was very dirty right out of the bag. I prefer the blaschak for sure! I do wonder if you would wash the reading if you would still get clinkers

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Apr. 06, 2020 7:33 am

Give it a try U & get back to us. :) BLASCHAK here for 10+ happy yrs.

11ultra103
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93, DS Comfortmax 75
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by 11ultra103 » Mon. Apr. 06, 2020 11:18 am

freetown fred wrote:
Mon. Apr. 06, 2020 7:33 am
Give it a try U & get back to us. :) BLASCHAK here for 10+ happy yrs.
Unfortunately I have so much to do I just cant seem to fit washing my coal into my schedule lol. I burned 5 bags of reading and that was enough for me. It burns well, but I cant understand why it is so dirty. When it first burns it burns with orange flames burning off all the dust, which got me thinking maybe they leave it dusty so in burns like that to get the coal burning faster? Just a theory

ohabanero
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Efel Arden giant 084-65
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: modified Gibraltar LCC double door model
Coal Size/Type: Stove nut and pea
Other Heating: Burnham boiler #2 fuel oil

Post by ohabanero » Fri. Apr. 10, 2020 4:14 pm

Nope. They are not looking out for you. They're just shortcutting at the coal break and saving a dollar. That what it's all about. The $. When I was burning reading sometimes I would get lucky and get a clean batch ( relatively ) it would burn easier but can't remember the clinker outcome it's been so long.
I'm sure it improved SOME though just how much I don't recall. Clinker is chemistry and the coal vein, the break, and how you maintain your fire all come into play there. Washing and filtering accomplish about the same thing UNLESS your coal is real wet already. Filtering doesn't work nearly as well wet unless you really work it. I've never tried washing coal but that would certainly do the trick . That is the coal breaks job though dammmit!

Holdencoal

Post by Holdencoal » Tue. May. 05, 2020 10:45 am

Just picked up three 32 gallons (720lbs +\-) of TS nut with a little bit of pea mixed in from a nice gentleman. He didn’t have a need for it anymore as he only hobby blacksmiths. I guess it was a oops pallet that exploded and TS wanted it gone.

Attachments

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”