Tractor Supply Test

Were Man
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jøtul NR507B
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anthracite
Other Heating: Wood VC Encore

Post by Were Man » Mon. Nov. 18, 2019 2:14 pm

So I was in TS and curious to try their nut coal, bought a bag $6.79. Product is uniformly sized little bit bigger than a walnut, noticed that when starting it the coal will crackle unlike I ever noticed with my current supply, of which I am not sure of brand but larger pieces, shinier. Was here when I bought the house and packed 50 lb heavy brown paper bag. The stuff I have seems to start much quicker and easier than the TS stuff, but now that I got some blue dancers will chill out and wait to see what awaits in the ash pan.

Attachments

TSC.JPG
.JPG | 134.6KB | TSC.JPG
TS Prem Nut Coal.jpg
.JPG | 49.8KB | TS Prem Nut Coal.jpg
blueflame.JPG
.JPG | 75.2KB | blueflame.JPG

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Nov. 18, 2019 2:48 pm

Before buying a ton/pallet of it, buy 10 bags and see if they are all nice like that bag. They can have real consistency issues. Usually every 5th bag was full of fines for me the last 2 or 3 times I bought any.

Hrdnox1
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Pea

Post by Hrdnox1 » Mon. Nov. 18, 2019 3:13 pm

I wasn't too happy with this stuff especially for the price. It had too many fines in it and was super inconsistent along with big ole wood chunks approx 4-5/ bag. Now i did hear somewhere that this i contracted through Lehigh but i find that hard to believe since the nut coal at their breaker looks wayyyyyy better, consistent, super shiny not a lot of wood or fines not much in the way of flat stuff either.

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck, and Nut

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Mon. Nov. 18, 2019 3:20 pm

Hrdnox1 wrote:
Mon. Nov. 18, 2019 3:13 pm
I wasn't too happy with this stuff especially for the price. It had too many fines in it and was super inconsistent along with big ole wood chunks approx 4-5/ bag. Now i did hear somewhere that this i contracted through Lehigh but i find that hard to believe since the nut coal at their breaker looks wayyyyyy better, consistent, super shiny not a lot of wood or fines not much in the way of flat stuff either.
It is NOT bagged by Lehigh....

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Mon. Nov. 18, 2019 3:50 pm

There's a lot of idle seasonal retail space at Walmart, Lowes, HD during winter months... The coal suppliers should try to work out something.

Hrdnox1
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Pea

Post by Hrdnox1 » Mon. Nov. 18, 2019 3:55 pm

Thanks for clearing that up Matt, Like i said i see something different from your breaker and its not whats in those bags.

Were Man

Post by Were Man » Mon. Nov. 18, 2019 4:59 pm

Yeah some of the bags looked pretty dicey, did some prodding and feeling, some obviously had a lot of fine, others just looked spent. I just got a little bitty old Jøtul 507B in the basement that was here when I bought house last year, along with 10+ bags of coal. But from the little time and experience I have had with coal, it really seems the way to go for me in the future. As soon as I get done burning the 20 cords of wood I got will maybe invest in a good hand fired stove.

Meanwhile, the Tractor coal seems to be burning well so far. But I've used practically the whole bag so far, which was 40 lbs. The other stuff I have seems to burn longer and slower, though I have noticed a lot of slag but I think I had not enough draft going. Still working out the kinks.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Nov. 18, 2019 6:08 pm

LehighanthraciteMatt wrote:
Mon. Nov. 18, 2019 3:20 pm
It is NOT bagged by Lehigh....
Thank you for confirming that, Matt, but Dean Lehman has told me it wasn’t Lehigh....so I bought some real stuff from him.👍

Been meaning to get back in touch with Matt, about bulk coal...just had other priorities.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Nov. 18, 2019 6:11 pm

By the way...that tractor supply coal...as far as price is concerned is the over my limit for coal locally and bagged. I’ll either buy it bulk, get a pellet stove, or put the wood stove back in. Really pushing the limit at $6 bag.

You folks in the east have it made.

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck, and Nut

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Tue. Nov. 19, 2019 9:17 am

Hoytman wrote:
Mon. Nov. 18, 2019 6:11 pm
By the way...that tractor supply coal...as far as price is concerned is the over my limit for coal locally and bagged. I’ll either buy it bulk, get a pellet stove, or put the wood stove back in. Really pushing the limit at $6 bag.

Pellets are almost double the price per BTU so pellets make no sense...

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Nov. 19, 2019 10:26 am

Yep...that's why I've stayed the course with coal. Understand what you're saying...just meant I'd buy in bulk at much more per bag cost than that.

archangel_cpj

Post by archangel_cpj » Tue. Nov. 19, 2019 12:21 pm

I used TSC for two seasons very inconsistent lots of fines... I switched to Lehigh last year was far better... this year Lehigh is even better very few fines and much better sizing... I was told they did some work on their breaker...

Were Man

Post by Were Man » Tue. Nov. 19, 2019 1:53 pm

The TSC one-bag test verdict is:
a lot of small unburnt/partially burnt coal pieces, some rocks (?!), other miscellaneous unidentifiable detritus. The unburnt pieces I will reuse just because I'm a cheap so and so.

lobsterman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby, 1980 Fully restored by Larry Trainer
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Chubby Jr, early model with removable grates

Post by lobsterman » Fri. Nov. 22, 2019 8:01 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Mon. Nov. 18, 2019 6:11 pm

??? I went from scrounge and burn anything for free when old houses around here still had basements full of coal to all I need now is one ton of something really good. We get Lehigh at the local shop here for 6.75 per 40 lb bag, so $340 on the season works for me, the coal sippin' Chubby just purrs for 3 months. Coal is not very expensive but it ain't free either so I don't waste it.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Fri. Nov. 22, 2019 10:15 pm

Lobsterman you are just getting older...
LOL...
There are basements still full...
Just a bit harder to sniff out...
Besides nothing is ever free...
Sometimes it is just better to pay the coal dealer...
LOL...
Must get the kids trained but they are just 7 now...
I a few years I will bring them on an adventure...
To the Shallow Suburban Mines...

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”