Beautiful night to burn the Coal Chubby

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Wed. Nov. 13, 2019 7:08 pm

Been running the Chubby these past few days.I've had excellent luck with the Sherman Coal burning to a fine ash. 80+ degrees in the living room and the rest of the house is very comfortable with the blower running. Grateful to be burning anthracite instead of oil. Cold Beer,Shepherds Pie, and a Warm Coal Stove. Doesn't get much better. Hope everyone is having a warm pleasant evening.

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Wed. Nov. 13, 2019 7:40 pm

I burned alot of Sherman stove coal in the Clairon 115. She ate that like a bag of Smarties candy. Nice big chuncks and lumps, some needed resized to fit load door.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Nov. 13, 2019 7:43 pm

No Coal Chubby for me, but I can appreciate what you are saying. It is cold and clear here as well, and we are having Sheppard's pie with some hoppy beer.

8 degrees outside my house right now.

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Wed. Nov. 13, 2019 7:46 pm

With the assist of several members here lately I've been exploring Chubby's lower operating temp range. Indoors I'm averaging in the mid-high sixties (this is where I prefer it) I'm reloading about every 12 hours instead of 8-10 and the fuel ash is well over 95% spent....using TS and Blaschak. With tonight's lower outside temps, looking forward to flexing my skills a bit more.

It's a great stove the Chubby... like the man says... Plain but Fancy.... :yes:

ASea
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120

Post by ASea » Wed. Nov. 13, 2019 7:50 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Wed. Nov. 13, 2019 7:43 pm
No Coal Chubby for me, but I can appreciate what you are saying. It is cold and clear here as well, and we are having Sheppard's pie with some hoppy beer.

8 degrees outside my house right now.
The Hitzer is a great stove! Not to mention your EFM. I have a Coal Boiler in my future! Not sure which one but I've been agonizing about it for years. In the meantime I have a "Estate" Warm Morning 120 I'm gonna hook up in the basement.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Nov. 13, 2019 8:03 pm

Having a stove in the basement will really change the feel of the house.

ASea

Post by ASea » Wed. Nov. 13, 2019 8:25 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Wed. Nov. 13, 2019 8:03 pm
Having a stove in the basement will really change the feel of the house.
Wondering if I would need the Chubby upstairs. It's a 50s ranch so it's balloon I think the heat will come up through the floor and walls. Almost kind of a radiant heating.

Freedom
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby jr.
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Freedom » Wed. Nov. 13, 2019 9:14 pm

Hot hot can I run the chubby jr ... 525 to 550 ok ? Not looking for continuous burn at that temp just a few hours to warm the place up when I get home

ASea

Post by ASea » Wed. Nov. 13, 2019 9:41 pm

Freedom wrote:
Wed. Nov. 13, 2019 9:14 pm
Hot hot can I run the chubby jr ... 525 to 550 ok ? Not looking for continuous burn at that temp just a few hours to warm the place up when I get home
I think that would be fine. Dont see an issue. Especially if it's built like its big brother. Call Larry Trainer he will let you know for sure.

Freedom
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby jr.
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Freedom » Thu. Nov. 14, 2019 7:08 am

ASea wrote:
Wed. Nov. 13, 2019 9:41 pm
I think that would be fine. Dont see an issue. Especially if it's built like its big brother. Call Larry Trainer he will let you know for sure.
Thank you , ran at 500 last night for a few hours really warmed the place up & seemed like no problem for the Jr. Just burned a little more coal . Thanks again

lobsterman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby, 1980 Fully restored by Larry Trainer
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Chubby Jr, early model with removable grates

Post by lobsterman » Sun. Nov. 17, 2019 7:37 am

keegs wrote:
Wed. Nov. 13, 2019 7:46 pm
With the assist of several members here lately I've been exploring Chubby's lower operating temp range. Indoors I'm averaging in the mid-high sixties (this is where I prefer it) I'm reloading about every 12 hours instead of 8-10 and the fuel ash is well over 95% spent....using TS and Blaschak. With tonight's lower outside temps, looking forward to flexing my skills a bit more.

It's a great stove the Chubby... like the man says... Plain but Fancy.... :yes:
The Chubby has a sweet spot around 350 on the barrel for the 12 hour burn. I couldn't believe it when Larry told me he burns only 1 ton or so per year when I was burning 3-4 tons, so I backed off both on number of months burning and also I just run a steady stove temperature (don't need to push it in a cold snap) and the gas heat might come on but it is very rare that it does. That puts me at a ton and that is enough to burn Thanksgiving through February. Our winter is mild. I burn wood occasionally in the shoulder months if we have a cold Spring or Fall evening. Got to love the Chubby.

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Sun. Nov. 17, 2019 8:22 am

Yeah... I gets tempted from time to time looking at those fancy antiques but the Chubby fills the bill totally.

I insulated the attic this past summer. The heat loss dropped significantly. Overnight temps were in the teens and single digits most nights. With everything closed down, the side body thermometer on the Chubby showed 290 - 310 on average. That was enough to maintain inside temps in the mid sixties. I gained some more control by leveraging the ash level, keeping some in the pot to dampen the burn. It's taken a few years but I feel like I'm pretty familiar with burning coal in the Chubby.

lobsterman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby, 1980 Fully restored by Larry Trainer
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Chubby Jr, early model with removable grates

Post by lobsterman » Sun. Nov. 17, 2019 12:13 pm

keegs wrote:
Sun. Nov. 17, 2019 8:22 am
Yeah... I gets tempted from time to time looking at those fancy antiques but the Chubby fills the bill totally.

I insulated the attic this past summer. The heat loss dropped significantly. Overnight temps were in the teens and single digits most nights. With everything closed down, the side body thermometer on the Chubby showed 290 - 310 on average. That was enough to maintain inside temps in the mid sixties. I gained some more control by leveraging the ash level, keeping some in the pot to dampen the burn. It's taken a few years but I feel like I'm pretty familiar with burning coal in the Chubby.
That sounds very similar to my setup. I close mine down too when I am out for the day to lower the temp to the 300 range. The 350 number is with the primary open about 1/8 inch and the damper closed.

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Sun. Nov. 17, 2019 12:32 pm

Those Chubby’s are decent stoves, very reliable. They don’t make them like Larry anymore, one hell of a guy! I ran one for years before jumping over to an antique. I had an issue with cracked/warped grates...quite often. Probably user error. I used to get the grate squeaky clean during tending, probably not so good for the grate. I was very aggressive with tending. I’ve since learned to keep a fine layer of ash on the grate to help insulate it from the fire.

Attachments

ASea

Post by ASea » Sun. Nov. 17, 2019 4:23 pm

Depending on the coal I burn, the Chubby grates can be a little frustrating. My only complaint. My next stove will be a Glenwood 30 in my garage waiting for restoration. That has prismatic grates.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”