Replace My Propane Stove With Wood or Coal - Need Advice

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Wed. Nov. 13, 2019 2:33 pm

I see many types/brands of stove pipe in the listings. Someone with knowledge of the different types of pipe and pipe condition might be able to pick up a good deal.

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Wed. Nov. 13, 2019 2:47 pm

keegs wrote:
Wed. Nov. 13, 2019 2:33 pm
I see many types/brands of stove pipe in the listings. Someone with knowledge of the different types of pipe and pipe condition might be able to pick up a good deal.
Wondering if it would be cheaper to go get a masonry chimney kit? Clay flue never rots out.

Jazzguitar67

Post by Jazzguitar67 » Wed. Nov. 13, 2019 2:53 pm

Actually, my Terra Cotta chimney liner did break down from the gassed in my Van Wert Stoker. Every year, the chimney sweeps showed me sheets of the clay liner that had come out when swept. The house was 140 years old, so I don't know how long it took to get to that point.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Nov. 13, 2019 3:08 pm

ASea wrote:
Wed. Nov. 13, 2019 12:58 pm
And agreed on the Baseburner vs backpipe. Still the Oak Stoves with a back pipe can be a steal $1800 for the 118 or 40 vs over $3000 for a Baseburner, and do a really good job. To be honest I think any of the older Oak or Baseburner types are better stoves in allot of ways than their modern counterparts and more interesting.

Also I think we tend to mention Glenwood because they were so prolific but there are so many other brands etc. I really like the Crawford Stoves, Wings Best, etc. Supposedly the Wings Baseburner doesn't have the issues with the weak bottom like the Glenwood. Sears and Roebuck sold Acme Stoves. Allot of them were made here in Massachusetts. I believe Glenwood was in Taunton and Crawford was in Boston.

Think about it, they had features in their stoves that companies like DS are just now starting to reintroduce. Reburn etc.

And for all my big talk I'm heating my 1800sqft with a humble Chubby Coal Stove. A product of Rawley Mass.

Yes the old base heaters are much better heaters than the modern box stoves. Steve (King Coal) proved that by turning his modern box stove into a base heater and running comparative tests.

The GW #6, Harold #6, and Wings Best X116 are very much alike and all good base heaters. However, each have their weak points.

I went to Wilson's ready to buy a Wings Best X116,.. until Wilson showed me that the long, curved back pipe that Wings has can crack just as easily as the cast iron base chamber of the GW#6. He made an all welded plate-steel base chamber for the #6 that he had there. Seeing how strong it was and that it would never crack or warp, I bought the #6 instead.

Two seasons now and many times I've run that #6 very hard. That plate steel base has been bullet proof. So, problem solved for the GW#6, not so for the other's brand's weak points.

Anyone thinking of getting a GW #6 or #8 talk to Wilson first. He can build you a better #6, not only with a base chamber you can drop the stove on, but with sets of the proper, replaceable firebricks (I'm two seasons into using the first set made and still no cracks). Plus he has recasts of the gas rings that many #6 & #8 are missing, and new grate bars and frame if those are needed.

Paul

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Wed. Nov. 13, 2019 3:39 pm

Love that many of these stoves are over one hundred years old and still cranking away. I've found and sold a few over the years. I sold William Sherrick my Glenwood 113 prior to his illness. Wish I had kept it but I felt a certain satisfaction knowing it went home with him. Wonder who has it now? I have my eye out for something to replace the Chubby in the living room. Maybe a Glenwood 20 with back pipe? I just don't want to heat us out of house and home. I have a Warm Morning 120 I have yet to install in the basement.

Condor

Post by Condor » Fri. May. 08, 2020 8:30 am

I'm new on here so first I'd like to say hello to everyone hope all is well .....i have question..where can I sell a king o heat that's in mint condition?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. May. 08, 2020 10:54 am

Condor wrote:
Fri. May. 08, 2020 8:30 am
I'm new on here so first I'd like to say hello to everyone hope all is well .....i have question..where can I sell a king o heat that's in mint condition?
You can post an ad here, attach some pics if you like. Make sure you post where it is!

For Sale Coal Boilers, Furnaces, Stoves & Heating Related Items

11ultra103
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93, DS Comfortmax 75
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by 11ultra103 » Fri. May. 08, 2020 11:28 am

I bought my house 2 years ago, burned wood the first 1.5 winters, I recently replaced my wood stove with a DS Comfortmax wood/ coal stove. I had the intention I would burn wood up until winter, switch to coal and then burn wood again in spring. I quickly acclimated to the ease and heat of the coal. Only have to tend twice a day, and my house is warm all day and night, even in the morning when I wake up. Now I let the coal go out last Saturday since it was 80 degrees, and now that its cold again I'm using wood, and let me tell you I did NOT miss it one bit. I'm so tired of wood I cant wait to sell all that I have and buy coal with the money. Its great to have the option as I need it now, I wouldn't want to start a coal fire just for 3 days. But that is exactly why I bought this stove, for the wood and coal capability.

Looks like you are set up to run an exterior chimney there. It Wouldn't be too bad to install a duravent chimney.

https://www.northlineexpress.com/chimney-pipe-builder.html

Check out this website, I have the duratech pipe in my house, you can use the chimney builder system to see how much pipe you need. I have also read good things about the shasta vent. Iused the triple wall duravent for my garage and the biggest downfall in my opinion is the size of the pipe, its 6 inch inside but with the triple wall its about 10 inch outside diameter. The duratech is better made in my opinion also.

I do not know anything about direct vent coal stoves, but I would say that could be a viable option as youre already set up.

11ultra103

Post by 11ultra103 » Fri. May. 08, 2020 11:32 am

I wanted to add that I also thought I would miss the ambiance of the wood fire, but I honestly find the blue flames of the coal fire much more enjoyable. Its funny how experience changes your outlook.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. May. 08, 2020 12:27 pm

Pretty good proof of Blue by looking at your avatar!!

11ultra103

Post by 11ultra103 » Fri. May. 08, 2020 1:45 pm

McGiever wrote:
Fri. May. 08, 2020 12:27 pm
Pretty good proof of Blue by looking at your avatar!!
Yes that's my Hitzer I ran in the garage most of the winter. That stove burns great as well!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”