Maine Coal

Were Man
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jøtul NR507B
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anthracite
Other Heating: Wood VC Encore

Post by Were Man » Sat. Nov. 09, 2019 5:43 pm

Hi Folks just joined the forum. So far it's been a great source of information, about the only source online I can find. I inherited a Jøtul NR507B when recently bought this house, and about 10 bags anthracite nut. Checked the stove all out, regasketed it, replaced pipe and thimble and liner, and got my first burn going yesterday. Without a doubt it is the best heat source I have ever encountered. Been burning wood most my life, and been working these past years and months on cutting and splitting and stacking. Not getting any younger and getting tired of the wood work. I think based on my limited experience with coal, I will take this path least followed from here on in. I still remember shoveling coal for my grandparents when I was a kid.

I am located in midcoast Maine. Been working on sourcing for Blaschak or Kimmels. Located 4 solid sources for bulk, the best price I could find in state is $6.70/50 lb bag, 60 bags to a pallet 1.2 tons. The place is 3.5 hours north of me. Am wondering if there are any folks who burn coal in state and area that might be interested in going in on some bulk purchasing and delivering, maybe can work something out. Most likely this winter will finish what coal I got and get the stuff at a place close to me but at about $1+ more per bag. Anyways, keep up the good work.

Attachments

.MP4 | 8.7MB | IMG_9291.mp4

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Sat. Nov. 09, 2019 6:16 pm

Maine is an anthracite desert.... When I did my search last year there was only one outfit in the state selling unbagged bulk coal for delivery. Center Farms happens to be about 10 miles from where I am here in Bridgewater. But a ton runs in the $360 range last I checked.. The guy trucks it up himself from NEPA. But there's TS and some other smaller outfits in state as you probably already know. There's a guy in Goldsboro that sells Lehigh (Downeast Coal) anthracite.... A lot of folks on the site go on about Lehigh... so it might be something to look into.

Your story sounds like mine. The last tree I felled came down with such a thunder I about *censored* my pants. I'm getting too old for that stuff. Oh... and I can sleep through the night burning coal. Welcome to the forum.

CorrosionMan
Location: SE Ohio - Carrolton/Kilgore/Perrysville -- inbetween
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Hitzer 82 FA
Coal Size/Type: Reading NUT 40lb plastic bags
Other Heating: Heat Pump

Post by CorrosionMan » Sat. Nov. 09, 2019 6:41 pm

Welcome to the forum. You even started great with the pix/video.

No issues so far with burning coal? Must be a natural.

Were Man

Post by Were Man » Sat. Nov. 09, 2019 7:04 pm

Thanks guys. No issues burning coal so far. I got a lot of good information here on the forum before I started, so it just came together nicely. I used to live Downeast. Don't know why but I'm wicked obsessed with this whole coal thing. I talked with Center Farms might be able to get it delivered closer on one of their runs, but still seems expensive compared to the prices I'm seeing posted here in other states. I'm surprised Maine is such a desert, being one of the colder harsher winter climes in the Republic.

CorrosionMan
Location: SE Ohio - Carrolton/Kilgore/Perrysville -- inbetween
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Hitzer 82 FA
Coal Size/Type: Reading NUT 40lb plastic bags
Other Heating: Heat Pump

Post by CorrosionMan » Sat. Nov. 09, 2019 7:08 pm

If I was around you, I'd go in. But I'm in Ohio. I buy 10 tons bagged every year.
IMG_20191019_152859.jpg
.JPG | 272.1KB | IMG_20191019_152859.jpg

Were Man

Post by Were Man » Sat. Nov. 09, 2019 7:20 pm

PS
Downeast is $350/ton. It's a little under 2 hours from me. Might in the long run make sense.

ShawnLiNy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Waterford
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by ShawnLiNy » Sat. Nov. 09, 2019 9:42 pm

I'm glad you joined , as for the price up there ( I pay 340- a ton delivered on Long Island Ny for bulk ) so although it seems high in relation to oil right now ( you cannot beat the steady consistent temps of coal , my oil burner only comes on about 30 minutes a day in these temps just to reheat the superstore or if someone is taking a shower longer than 12 min )

ShawnLiNy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Waterford

Post by ShawnLiNy » Sat. Nov. 09, 2019 9:45 pm

Coal is definitely an addiction 👍

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sat. Nov. 09, 2019 10:10 pm

You can always check in with LehighMatt...
See if any one new or unknown to you is selling in Mid Coast...

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Nov. 10, 2019 12:30 am

keegs wrote:
Sat. Nov. 09, 2019 6:16 pm
The last tree I felled came down with such a thunder I about *censored* my pants.
Thanks for the laugh! :lol: having once had a tree fall all around and on me I understand and so does Fruit of the Loom!.

Check with Lehigh, Blaschak, Kimmels, etc, etc, for dealers. Theres always TSC and I bet they will be the cheapest. Your results may and will vary and so will the quality with each.

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Sun. Nov. 10, 2019 7:19 am

Were Man wrote:
Sat. Nov. 09, 2019 7:04 pm
Thanks guys. No issues burning coal so far. I got a lot of good information here on the forum before I started, so it just came together nicely. I used to live Downeast. Don't know why but I'm wicked obsessed with this whole coal thing. I talked with Center Farms might be able to get it delivered closer on one of their runs, but still seems expensive compared to the prices I'm seeing posted here in other states. I'm surprised Maine is such a desert, being one of the colder harsher winter climes in the Republic.
....and there's almost no natural gas infrastructure here. I puzzled on this too. A lot of folks burn wood (cord or pellets) as a primary or secondary, low(er) cost fuel. Coal prices in Maine are closer to diesel and it's not as convenient. Trucking coal in is probably a big part of the delta in price relative to NJ/NY/PA. If the demand was there maybe they'd look at rail.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sun. Nov. 10, 2019 10:01 am

Buy a tt load yourself...
Get the good stuff...
Lehigh or Blashack...
Find a trucker with a dump or walking floor...
That will not be deadheading...

oldschoolhouse
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Sun mogul 295 laundry stove
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Treasure 12

Post by oldschoolhouse » Sun. Nov. 10, 2019 11:14 am

I've been getting 40 lb bagged Lehigh nut and stove from Union True Value for 6.99 a bag which equals to 350 a ton. I've also ordered it through Hammond Lumber in Rockport/Camden and they deliver for free, for about the same price. Rankins in Camden has Kimmels in 50lb bags but its wicked expensive for whatever reason.

Were Man

Post by Were Man » Sun. Nov. 10, 2019 1:58 pm

Hammond doesn't sell this year, nor does Union True Value. Bummer.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”