Thoughts on keeping fire going

Vonda
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby born 1980
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Gas

Post by Vonda » Sat. Nov. 09, 2019 3:47 pm

I think I am probably the only one who burns cold for heat in Georgia.
Anyway, Atlanta is going from 60° to 33° in a day. I have been losing my fire once the temps hit 52°. Any ideas on how to keep the fire going do I don't have relight.

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Sat. Nov. 09, 2019 4:52 pm

Not sure what this means "I have been losing my fire once the temps hit 52°

corey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck Stove Hybrid
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Post by corey » Sat. Nov. 09, 2019 5:09 pm

How high is your chimney? your draft will get weaker as the temperature outside rises.

Vonda

Post by Vonda » Sat. Nov. 09, 2019 7:25 pm

corey wrote:
Sat. Nov. 09, 2019 5:09 pm
How high is your chimney? your draft will get weaker as the temperature outside rises.
I am not sure but I would guess at minimum 30 ft. But probably 36 ft

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Nov. 09, 2019 7:37 pm

Vonda,

That should be tall enough to run in warmer weather. That's about the height of mine and of many of the brick chimneys here that were built in the late 1800's when coal was the main fuel ( my house was built for the former coal dealers here).

I use my coal range late into Spring when some days it can get as high as 80F. It keeps on running, but,....

.... when it gets over 50 F outside, I have to open the Primary and the MPD dampers more to maintain the same heat output.

.... and, above 50 F it also get's sluggish to respond to damper changes. Once it gets up into the 70's, it takes about twice as long for the stove to respond to changes and to recover after refueling/shaking ash.

But don't let anyone tell you a decent coal stove and chimney system can't run when it gets over 50 F outside. They are just admitting they either don't know how to run a coal stove, or they don't have a decent stove/chimney system. ;)

Paul

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Nov. 09, 2019 8:00 pm

Do you have a manometer? Thats the only sure way to know how much draft you have but do you smell sulfer before its out? If you dont there is likely still a little draft especially with your tall chimney. Top door gasket sealing well? Top cast iron piece gasket sealed well? Keeping the dog ears closed? Any one of the last 3 things I mentioned will give over fire air which you dont want with low draft and you likely already know those. A lot of fines in the coal wont help either. Other than those, follow SB's suggestions, more primary air. That is likely all you really need to do. it gets old relighting stoves. Good luck!

corey

Post by corey » Sat. Nov. 09, 2019 8:07 pm

Vonda wrote:
Sat. Nov. 09, 2019 7:25 pm
I am not sure but I would guess at minimum 30 ft. But probably 36 ft
Plenty high enough.

+1 on what Sunny Boy said had mine going when it hit 70 just had to give it more air.

Vonda

Post by Vonda » Sat. Nov. 09, 2019 8:57 pm

[quote="Sunny Boy"

Thanks Paul,
I will try that tomorrow. My house is a Victorian with coal burning fireplaces. However, the chimney is the steel kind because the previous owner cut of the brick chimney. Since my roof is high my chimney has to be higher. I think my problem is ash build up and not adjusting for the higher temperature.
[/quote]

Vonda

Post by Vonda » Sat. Nov. 09, 2019 8:57 pm

keegs wrote:
Sat. Nov. 09, 2019 4:52 pm
Not sure what this means "I have been losing my fire once the temps hit 52°
It means my fire dies, the coal stop burning

Vonda

Post by Vonda » Sat. Nov. 09, 2019 9:06 pm

warminmn wrote:
Sat. Nov. 09, 2019 8:00 pm
Do you have a manometer? Thats the only sure way to know how much draft you have but do you smell sulfer before its out? If you dont there is likely still a little draft especially with your tall chimney. Top door gasket sealing well? Top cast iron piece gasket sealed well? Keeping the dog ears closed? Any one of the last 3 things I mentioned will give over fire air which you dont want with low draft and you likely already know those. A lot of fines in the coal wont help either. Other than those, follow SB's suggestions, more primary air. That is likely all you really need to do. it gets old relighting stoves. Good luck!
Thanks. I dont have a manometer. I also was not doing the things you mentioned. I was led to believe, coal does not burn in warmer temps so I didn't try. Then I realized Atlanta stove works building is less than a 2 miles from my house and I have coal burning fireplaces. So there must be a way to burn coal in the warmer temps. I meant why would there be a factory for an item that no one locally could use and why build a fireplace that can only be use may 20 days out of a year?

corey

Post by corey » Sat. Nov. 09, 2019 9:45 pm

At first you had me thinking you had a draft problem when you said you lose the fire once it hits 52. The manometer will help you out for sure. Mine is only 15 foot I run the stove in warm weather but im burning bit coal here still works fine.

Vonda

Post by Vonda » Sun. Nov. 17, 2019 10:13 pm

Thanks guys. I have kept my fire going in 65°. I actually was able to leave the primary 1/4 open and damper close and still have fire hours later when I returned home.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”