First time with bit in the 50-93

BlackBetty06
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Nut
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Sun. Nov. 03, 2019 6:03 pm

Thought I would try something new today. I was out in Meyersdale, Somerset county in western PA a few months ago and figured Id pick up some run of mine bituminous for the heck of it. It was only 80 bucks a ton from Heritage. I had 30 cash on me so said why not. I had to re gasket my top load door and the instructions on the glue said after 12 hours you need to fire the appliance to fully cure the adhesive. Ive had the little Jotul woodstove running since friday but figured I could open the doors and windows if it got ugly. So i fired on wood and once that was running well, I started to add some bit. I first added 4 chunks about the size of softballs. Once that was going well I added 2 pieces the size of volleyballs and some other small pieces approx. 30 pounds in all. I have the bi metallic set at 10 and ash pan vent wide open. The bi metallic has not opened once. I cut the ash door vents to about 3/4 open after the volatiles started to die down. The stove is running about 415 on the sides and 190 on the pipe. Was running about 260 on the pipe 4 feet up and about 520 at the breech while the fresh gasses were burning off. The whole time I had no more than some thin gray smoke out the chimney and the faint smell of bituminous coal in the air. I dont have the balls to load it up good yet with Bit coal for fear of puff back. This first run though was totally smooth and really burning nice. Got the screen door wide open. Its a little warm lol. There was the faint smell of an old train station in the house for about 5 minutes after I got done screwing around in the firebox. After that just pure heat. Im sure with some over fire air this thing would chew the bit up real nice but thats not in the cards since its not a 354 double door model and this is just an experiment after all. Cant see the fire cause the glass went black but she sure does kick the heat out with this stuff. Just thought Id post for those who might be curious.

Attachments

image.jpg

Fire 4 hours since loading

.JPG | 493.6KB | image.jpg

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Nov. 04, 2019 5:36 pm

Interesting B--if it works, it works. Savin some $$$$$$$$$ also & ya can't hate that. :)

CorrosionMan
Location: SE Ohio - Carrolton/Kilgore/Perrysville -- inbetween
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Hitzer 82 FA
Coal Size/Type: Reading NUT 40lb plastic bags
Other Heating: Heat Pump

Post by CorrosionMan » Mon. Nov. 04, 2019 6:36 pm

This I am interested in hearing about. And dammit, you know the rules... Where are the pix ?!?!?!

Posted that before the pix loaded. My bad.

BlackBetty06
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Wed. Nov. 06, 2019 9:16 pm

Yea I was surprised it did as good as it did honestly. I’ll be burning some more in it this weekend. I don’t trust it when I’m not around because I can’t predict how it will act yet. But I have two of those hoppers that you put your trash in full of Bit boulders. Literally! I’ll have to post some pics of that too. Like I said I was in the area and the stuff was too cheap to not try and give myself a good sooty puff back lol. But seriously, the stuff puts out big time heat and I can fire it just like wood. I didn’t even have the whole grate covered and the stuff just sat in there and burned.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Nov. 06, 2019 9:24 pm

I'm wonderin what the bit will do to your chimney/pipes???

corey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck Stove Hybrid
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Post by corey » Wed. Nov. 06, 2019 9:37 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Wed. Nov. 06, 2019 9:24 pm
I'm wonderin what the bit will do to your chimney/pipes???
It gets soot buildup just something that needs to be checked often.

corey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck Stove Hybrid
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Post by corey » Wed. Nov. 06, 2019 9:41 pm

BlackBetty06 wrote:
Wed. Nov. 06, 2019 9:16 pm
Yea I was surprised it did as good as it did honestly. I’ll be burning some more in it this weekend. I don’t trust it when I’m not around because I can’t predict how it will act yet. But I have two of those hoppers that you put your trash in full of Bit boulders. Literally! I’ll have to post some pics of that too. Like I said I was in the area and the stuff was too cheap to not try and give myself a good sooty puff back lol. But seriously, the stuff puts out big time heat and I can fire it just like wood. I didn’t even have the whole grate covered and the stuff just sat in there and burned.
Glad it worked out you dont really have to load the stove up like anth.

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Thu. Nov. 07, 2019 11:38 am

Watching soot closely. Will brush if needed before loading with ant.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. Nov. 07, 2019 3:08 pm

A small huff and puff will clean the chimney out... doesnt mean you want one, just saying it happens. If you keep your front glass door just barely cracked after loading for a while it will help it burn the volatiles off.

Dont reload until its burned down and you wont get any or very little smoke in the house, kinda like wood that way, only worse. Maybe load thru front door and not the top but not sure on that,

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Wed. Nov. 13, 2019 6:36 pm

Well I got brave yesterday and loaded the stove full of bit. I did this in 2 stages with a piece of wood to verify I kept live flames at all times. I am very impressed! Stove was running at -.06 draft. Bi metallic CLOSED. Ash door vents half open. Chimney pipe at 200. Stove belly 580-610. Stove top 440. Impressive heat especially for the cost of the coal. I’ve had a solid Bit fire in it for a full 24 hours. It’s going strong currently. Draft -.05 pipe 200 degrees. Stove sides 480. Top 360

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”