Double Door Hitzer 50-93

BlackBetty06
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Nut
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Wed. Sep. 18, 2019 2:20 pm

Does anybody know if the 50-93 was ever offered as a double door unit or if there is a conversion “kit”. I like the looks of the 354 double door and am into the secondary air spinner knobs. As a side note, I’m on a quest to burn some somerset bit coal in it since I have a pile of it and figure secondary air would be helpful.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Sep. 18, 2019 3:54 pm

Here’s some eye candy for you...
Check your pm’s.

I know you asked about a double door hopper stove, but I sent you some info about one like the one in the picture.

Would be easy enough to call Hitzer and ask. Calling right now...

Edit:
No! They do not offer the hopper stove's in double doors. That is, they do not currently offer it. Did not ask if they had ever offered that configuration. Sorry!

Not sure who I spoke with, but I did place a call and talked to a man. I guess I should have asked his name, but I did ask the question for you...well, for us both.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Sep. 18, 2019 4:28 pm

Like I said in my pm...

From reading this forum, I'm not too sure the door, or 2ndary door air controls, are that advantageous other than maybe during a re-loading of coal, or during wood burning.

For wood burning, my plan of attack has been to brick off the floor, and build a removable 2ndary re-burn system for my stove.

Now, to be clear, I'm not saying that from experience, rather, it's sort of the information I've gathered here on the forum. Perhaps I may have misunderstood all of that.

If you do a search on the forum, member, grobinson2 had some rather lengthy comments about his 354 and spoke highly of that stove and it's long burn times...once getting a 6 day burn on a full load...from cold start until burn out. I will mention that he noted hating the majority of hopper stoves. (He also mention liking the D.S. Comfortmax and Anthramax stoves as well.)

Again though, like I said in my pm to you...he had/has a 35' chimney. Having said all of that, and without my own further experience with this stove, I better defer to folks having more experience than me with regard to this idea of 2ndary door vents. This will be my first year burning anthracite and using my first coal stove, a Hitzer 354 double door. I too would like to hear more input from those with more experience. I'll take every tip I can get.

BlackBetty06
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Thu. Sep. 19, 2019 9:34 am

Thanks for placing the call to hitzer! Too bad to hear there is no such critter. I wonder if I called up there and told them I want them to make me one if they would do such a thing. My 50-93 works fine and does a good job. Don’t fix what ain’t broke I guess lol. I do really like how the 354 has a damper in the flue section. I know the hopper stoves are using the hopper as a flue gas restriction. For fun I’d like to run a 50-93 and 354 side by side and compare flue gas temps vs stove temps.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Sep. 19, 2019 9:52 am

Damn B---cabin fever already????????????????????????? LOL

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Thu. Sep. 19, 2019 12:44 pm

Lol FF. I’m my own worst enemy. My brain never stops :)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”