Coal EZ Hopper Stoves

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Sep. 11, 2019 2:27 pm

Hadn't seen these before. Thought some folks might at least be interested in looking. I have no affiliation with them.

https://coalohio.com/coal-ez-hopper-stoves

kodadog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Li'L Heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Comfort Max
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Nut
Other Heating: fuel oil

Post by kodadog » Wed. Sep. 11, 2019 3:07 pm

Interesting. It'd be nice if they gave more info like dimensions.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Sep. 11, 2019 4:54 pm

AND--thickness of steel used--don't like the look/length/ diameter of shaker handle. Although 5 yr. warranty sounds interesting.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Sep. 11, 2019 5:27 pm

There have been a couple posts before on these. One was real positive, the other wasnt. At least thats my memory of them. I had one of the posts saved on my pute and lost it in a reboot.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Sep. 11, 2019 7:23 pm

Just got a call from the gentleman selling these. Super nice fella. I forget his name, sorry...was hauling water when he called and I’m bad with names anyway and was having trouble hearing. I think I need a different case for this new fangled phone.

I think he said the mid-sized stove weighs nearly 400 lbs. and material is 3/16” plate, hopper 1/4” plate, if I’m not misrepresenting them with my bad memory.

I believe he said the makers had been making them for a long time, nearly 40 years I think he said. He said they have a reburn system, secondary air tubes, making them more efficient than older models.

I would like to see how heavy the grates are. Not sure if he’ll include a photo of the grates or not when he sends me additional pictures.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Sep. 12, 2019 1:25 am

I like the looks of the stoves in general, and for once the regulator is where it should be...or at least where most shoppers would like it to be.

It’s ok where they are on Hitzers and D.S. stoves too...just takes getting used to.

On these stoves, if a person was exposed to these stoves first, then you’d likely question why other makers placed their controls in such awkward places...like the side or rear. I’m sure some will point out the tear is out of view, but in tight spots against a hearth wall like I have it makes for getting into a tight spot. All three makers of these stoves have clean and plane looks to them and I like all three really. Plenty of options for people to make a choice from for their needs. That’s a good thing.

This stove may or may not have lighter material than others. I have an older wood stove that is made of thinner plate, unlike other wood stoves of the same period, and my stove is a heat throwing beast. Heats up faster, throws heat faster, but gets cold faster too. I would also mention that most of the box circulator stoves of yesteryear, like Warm Mornings, Montgomery Wards, and many more, etc., and even those sold today at the local TSC, they were and are super thin sheet metal above the grates. My neighbor has an old Sears and Roebuck circulator like this and I’m going to nab it from him if he ever wants to sell it on the cheap...just so I can tear it apart and examine it. Lol!

I think these stoves have a good price point too compared to others I’ve seen. To me that makes it somewhat easier for people to get into a coal stove and this hobby we all enjoy and...

...it’s good for coal. Our mines and miners, whether it’s anthracite mining or 24” vein bituminous...those folks need a way to make a living too. I’m not a miner...but my grandpa was, and that’s my heritage. I want to support them...and I’m well aware of some of the mining health risks and so are those folks. They still have to live and provide for their families. Off my soap 🧼 box 📦 now. Lol!

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Thu. Sep. 12, 2019 5:59 am

I like the look of the 25c. I like the gravity feed feature and the long, conveniently placed shaker handle. The control center looks a little like an electric range though. Couldn't find any images of what the inside looks like but I'm guessing it's fire brick lined. I also wonder about the grate design and how well it will stand up.

The Chubby throws more heat and its cast firepot and grate system is pretty bullet proof (I'm pretty sure my firepot is > 40 years old). I also prefer the Chubby's simple charm .... plain but fancy.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Sep. 12, 2019 9:54 am

Here are some photo’s.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Sep. 12, 2019 9:59 am

He is going to send me additional pictures of some spare grates so we can see them better.

-Nick Schwartz is the name of the fella I’ve been talking with and he gave me permission to post these photo’s.

Thanks, Nick!

charlesosborne2002
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: natural gas central forced air

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Thu. Sep. 12, 2019 10:16 am

Hoytman wrote:
Thu. Sep. 12, 2019 1:25 am
I like the looks of the stoves in general, and for once the regulator is where it should be...or at least where most shoppers would like it to be.

It’s ok where they are on Hitzers and D.S. stoves too...just takes getting used to.

On these stoves, if a person was exposed to these stoves first, then you’d likely question why other makers placed their controls in such awkward places...like the side or rear. I’m sure some will point out the tear is out of view, but in tight spots against a hearth wall like I have it makes for getting into a tight spot. All three makers of these stoves have clean and plane looks to them and I like all three really. Plenty of options for people to make a choice from for their needs. That’s a good thing.

This stove may or may not have lighter material than others. I have an older wood stove that is made of thinner plate, unlike other wood stoves of the same period, and my stove is a heat throwing beast. Heats up faster, throws heat faster, but gets cold faster too. I would also mention that most of the box circulator stoves of yesteryear, like Warm Mornings, Montgomery Wards, and many more, etc., and even those sold today at the local TSC, they were and are super thin sheet metal above the grates. My neighbor has an old Sears and Roebuck circulator like this and I’m going to nab it from him if he ever wants to sell it on the cheap...just so I can tear it apart and examine it. Lol!

I think these stoves have a good price point too compared to others I’ve seen. To me that makes it somewhat easier for people to get into a coal stove and this hobby we all enjoy and...

...it’s good for coal. Our mines and miners, whether it’s anthracite mining or 24” vein bituminous...those folks need a way to make a living too. I’m not a miner...but my grandpa was, and that’s my heritage. I want to support them...and I’m well aware of some of the mining health risks and so are those folks. They still have to live and provide for their families. Off my soap 🧼 box 📦 now. Lol!
Hoytman, don't they just blow up the mountains and scoop off the coal nowadays?

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Sep. 12, 2019 10:28 am

“Our mines and miners” was mentioned to cover actual deep mines, strip mines, and dead lifting. That pretty much covers it all, I think. Yes I know with regard to anthracite we’re not talking about a couple of those. Our bituminous friends need work too...and most of the world doesn’t seem to know this or care. There are likely ways to clean up emissions if some groups weren’t so intent on killing the industry and crushing the people. As soon as all those people are driven from their landsAND there homes and communities (and this is the biggest part of the discussion) someone is going to be buying vast tracts of land for cheap. Then watch what happens. It’ll likely come back full circle. Someone wants full control of what is in the ground and they want all of it.

kodadog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Li'L Heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Comfort Max
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Nut
Other Heating: fuel oil

Post by kodadog » Thu. Sep. 12, 2019 11:05 am

I like the 25c as well. Look pretty good. Dimensions? Shipping?

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Sep. 12, 2019 11:34 am

I don't see a hopper in any of the pictures.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Sep. 12, 2019 1:39 pm

franco b wrote:
Thu. Sep. 12, 2019 11:34 am
I don't see a hopper in any of the pictures.
Yup. All I see is a top-loader. Is the hopper an extra add-on ?

Paul

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Sep. 12, 2019 3:06 pm

Looks like a hopper on the ground in picture six to me. These pictures were sent to me. I’m sure he’ll come along and post more pictures.

I would like to see some more close ups myself.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”