casting queston

stovepipemike

Post by stovepipemike » Tue. Sep. 10, 2019 6:26 pm

I took my grate from my crane 44 to have one made for another stove. They are not available anywhere I know about. The foundry called and said the job is ready to pick up. He also said he would give me a second new grate for free in trade for my original grate. He said the grate I took him is ideal to pattern from since it is in nice shape. I am inclined to hang on to my grate but can't think of a good reason. What does anyone think??

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Tue. Sep. 10, 2019 6:52 pm

who did you send it to ?

unless it was someone well known here i'd hang on to the original. even then, i'd hang on to the original.

stash the original and use the copy, you will probably never need another anyway but if you do, you can reuse the original for a minimum shrink copy again and in the mean time maybe loan or rent the original to others.

did i say hold on to the original yet ?

.02 worth

stovepipemike

Post by stovepipemike » Tue. Sep. 10, 2019 6:55 pm

Thank you King, you have confirmed my gut feeling. I had the feeling but did not know why, now I see why.

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Sun. Sep. 22, 2019 11:52 am

How much was the grate casting? Sounds to me like someone wants to sell grates based on your pattern and for pennies on a dollar get the pattern. Making a copy of a copy introduces more error and why he wants yours. Keep yours and the only person I would loan it to is DCrane if he is still selling parts.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”