Alaska Kodiak rebuild and fire up!

Hrdnox1
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Pea

Post by Hrdnox1 » Wed. Sep. 04, 2019 4:16 pm

Hello all,
After purchasing a used Alaska Hand fired gravity fed coal stove and spending much of the summer rebuilding it... Gaskets, Fire Bricks, keepers, view screen... it seems as though I've come to a point where purchasing the optional 125cfm blower is going to cost $200. I was wondering if someone here has been able to source this blower elsewhere?

charlesosborne2002
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: natural gas central forced air

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Wed. Sep. 04, 2019 6:26 pm

Hrdnox1 wrote:
Wed. Sep. 04, 2019 4:16 pm
Hello all,
After purchasing a used Alaska Hand fired gravity fed coal stove and spending much of the summer rebuilding it... Gaskets, Fire Bricks, keepers, view screen... it seems as though I've come to a point where purchasing the optional 125cfm blower is going to cost $200. I was wondering if someone here has been able to source this blower elsewhere?
I considered a blower on my last stove but did not get it because I was advised that most people who buy them don't use them--it does not increase the BTU's (apparently). It seems more useful to me to use a cheap box fan if I need to pull the heat to another room (which I don't, in my cottage). Also, one of my reasons for a stove was to have heat when the power is down. My coal stove is in a room that has wide openings into two other rooms, and sometimes if I want to move air around I do have ceiling fans (on low).
I was very tempted to get the Alaska--nice stove.

Hrdnox1
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Pea

Post by Hrdnox1 » Mon. Sep. 09, 2019 3:09 pm

I did find the company that manufactures the blower it's call Bay Motor products and after speaking with them i would have to buy a minimum of 50 for this specific application. I am aware that the BTU's will not change with this blower however i am looking to get more heat away from the stove itself and more into the rest of my un-insulated all concrete and block garage. I really didn't want to go with the box fan method.

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Mon. Sep. 09, 2019 3:37 pm

Fasco and Dayton make a lot of blower configurations... Surely one of theirs could work... Might need a little engineering to join it up.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Sep. 09, 2019 7:27 pm

3rd party suppliers will sell the correct fan...

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Sep. 09, 2019 7:44 pm

Orrrrrrr, think ceiling fan. Works real well with my HITZER in this 200 yr. old broke up farm house.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”