Im making the switch this year.

orrsmills

Post by orrsmills » Wed. Aug. 14, 2019 8:30 pm

Hi folks,

After burning wood for 16 + years Im making to switch to coal. I picked up my Hitzer 503-insert. I currently have a wood burning Quardra=Fire which I love and works well but I just don't have the time to cut wood anymore.

Below is a pic as if you don't already know what it looks like. I have two questions.

1) There is a lever just underneath the main door that will give air just at the bottom of the glass on the door. when would I use this lever and whats it purpose. Obviously to provide air but the ash door level will provide most of the air to the coal.

2) The stove comes the fan power cord on the left side of the stove. Would there be a problem to run the power cord back around the stove so the cord come out on the right side of the stove? I don't think it will get hot enough back there to melt the cord. please let me know.

Thanks
Boxer_1565828352.522485_asset.jpg
.JPG | 428KB | Boxer_1565828352.522485_asset.jpg

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Aug. 14, 2019 10:31 pm

1) is for over fire air...
will add air to burn off some of the coal gas and cut back on poofs...
2) call Hitzer about the cord situation...

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Aug. 14, 2019 11:09 pm

There is a learning curve for that lever...it is NOT really a set-it and forget-it thing...can keep the fire starting fuels from sooting up the glass too...that's called an "air wash".

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Aug. 14, 2019 11:18 pm

yep a learning curve...
But not that steep...
LOL...
Just need to pay attention to how the 503 is burning...

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Thu. Aug. 15, 2019 8:21 am

The Ancient Quote here: "As You Burn,So You Shall Learn" Make small,noted adjustments and give it time to show the results. Your chimney flue,atmospherics,wind and whatnot are all variables that come into play. Be Patient,Be Attentive and above All,Enjoy watching Your New Amish TV!

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Sat. Aug. 31, 2019 5:46 am

As a wood burner that switched to coal no more moisture meter no more chance of chimney fire no more feeding endlessly on really cold days. I had days on wood I thought I was firing a wood burning locomotive going up a 7% grade with a mile of cars behind it. You have landed in the world of coal burners me excluded for the most part that have endless knowledge. I have been burning coal long enough to not remember when i switched but if there is one lesson I have learned is be patient there is no direct feedback it will settle down at a new setting in a while. There is no instant gratification or failure. First burn best done for on a weekend when you can hang out with it and watch and learn. Mine was mid december and 30 outside and stove ran the first day seemingly doing little. I have an 1870's house with plaster walls and it took a day to heat soak the plaster. Like magic at 30 hours or so the walls are warm no drafts house 72 and slowly turning the stove down to not hear the oil heat every now and then when average temps above 50. If you lose the fire a few times just consider it a chance to practice lighting it. Above all ask questions if not sure or sure you are lost.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”