Installing Chimney Upgrades

Ericnelson

Post by Ericnelson » Tue. Aug. 13, 2019 2:37 pm

Hi, I wanted to post this before I started drilling and cutting into my chimney. I purchased a Field Controls 6" RC barometer (1), Dwyer Mark 2 25 manometer and static pressure tip (2), and a Condar Flueguard Thermometer (3.) I just wanted to verify that these are the spots I should install them at. I still plan to put a T pipe and cap at the stove to help with cleaning, but that's down the road.

Attachments

Chimney Parts.jpg
.JPG | 533KB | Chimney Parts.jpg
Coal Stove Adjusments.jpg
.JPG | 170.3KB | Coal Stove Adjusments.jpg

Homesteader
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove
Other Heating: H.B. Smith oil fired boiler

Post by Homesteader » Wed. Aug. 14, 2019 9:30 am

You need to put the manometer between the baro damper and the stove (ie: 2 goes between 1 and the stove. That way you can adjust the draft from the stove with the baro and see the settings on the manometer.

Ericnelson

Post by Ericnelson » Sun. Aug. 18, 2019 10:26 am

Thanks Homesteader, that makes sense, I'm assuming with the barometer set correctly to what the manometer reads, it "theoretically" should stay at zero draft.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Aug. 18, 2019 10:33 am

No, you don't want zero draft. At the best the fire would die and at worst you could die. Usually you want the draft in the -0.03 to -0.06 range. The baro is to limit total draft, if to high you are just heating the outside with your coal by way of the chimney.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Aug. 18, 2019 4:51 pm

In your picture, #1 is where the baro goes. It has to be mounted in a strait piece of pipe. The draft gauge and thermometer have to be connected BELOW the baro, not above it.

-Don

Ericnelson

Post by Ericnelson » Wed. Aug. 21, 2019 4:47 pm

So I have a high and low side on my manometer. Does it matter which one I plug the piece that goes in to my chimney into? Do I need to plug the other side?also I a accidently got a 4 inch thing for my chimney instead of a 3 in which would be directly in the center of my chimney does that matter?

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Thu. Aug. 22, 2019 10:38 pm

Ericnelson wrote:
Wed. Aug. 21, 2019 4:47 pm
So I have a high and low side on my manometer. Does it matter which one I plug the piece that goes in to my chimney into?
Yes. I looks like you have a Dwyer MK2 model 25. You will want to plug into the LO side. This makes the gauge read backwards but you want to see the readings on the larger scale on the right side of the gauge. You just have to keep in mind that the readings you are seeing on the positive side are actually negative draft readings.
Ericnelson wrote:
Do I need to plug the other side?
No. The other side needs to be free to sense atmospheric pressure. If you plug it, or allow it to become plugged with dirt, the gauge will not read properly.
Ericnelson wrote:
also I a accidently got a 4 inch thing for my chimney instead of a 3 in which would be directly in the center of my chimney does that matter?
I don't know what "thing" you are referring to???

-Don

Ericnelson

Post by Ericnelson » Fri. Nov. 08, 2019 2:19 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions for the tube for the manometer? It keeps melting at the connection point on the chimney. I dont know if theres a heat resistant tube I should get but the tubing that came with it definitely isnt going to work.

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Fri. Nov. 08, 2019 2:24 pm

I used high temp silicone tubing... Good to 500 degrees

White SiliconeTubing, 3/16"ID, 1/4"OD, 1/32" Wall, 10' Length https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FN1FLA/ref=cm_sw_r_ ... XDbFX430YJ

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Nov. 08, 2019 6:12 pm

Ericnelson wrote:
Fri. Nov. 08, 2019 2:19 pm
Does anyone have any suggestions for the tube for the manometer? It keeps melting at the connection point on the chimney. I dont know if theres a heat resistant tube I should get but the tubing that came with it definitely isnt going to work.
A short length of brake line tubing with a 90° bend is what I used.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Nov. 08, 2019 10:22 pm

Everything you'll ever need to know about installing and using a mano, is covered in the thread here; Manometer Install

Paul

corey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck Stove Hybrid
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Post by corey » Fri. Nov. 08, 2019 10:31 pm

That Condar probe might be off i replaced my old one with a new model a year ago the temp was 200 degrees high. I know the old one was correct also theirs a thread on Hearth.com discussing it.

just a heads up.

Ericnelson

Post by Ericnelson » Fri. Dec. 06, 2019 3:53 pm

I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for the help. The tube was melting just cause I was getting the stove up to temp its been fine since. The stove is running better for sure, I was able to get 16 hr run times without it struggling to get the next load going, I usually go max 10 hrs though. Someday I'd like to see if I could get closer to 20 but either way, for $100 or so of upgrades it'll save me more than that this winter. I've been running the stove between 400-500 and the chimney temp gauge, around 1 foot up from the stove, reads between 250-300 degrees, I'm not sure if that's good/bad/ugly, maybe someone could chime in. But any who thanks again everyone.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”