Chubby or Vigilant.??

WJSlater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Sr. & VERMONT CASTINGS VIGILANT 11
Coal Size/Type: Nut /Stove
Other Heating: Oil

Post by WJSlater » Tue. Aug. 13, 2019 1:24 am

Which one is a better heater the Chubby of the Vermont casting Vigilant 2 ..??

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Aug. 13, 2019 2:52 pm

Posted in the wrong sub-forum. This is the hand fired boiler forum. Try one sub-forum up from this one, hand fired stove forum, and you should get plenty of help. Be patient, it's sort of slow this time of year. Welcome!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Aug. 13, 2019 7:15 pm

I'd personally do the CHUBBY due to it's simplicity--BUT----------- it comes down to what/how much your heating--open floor plan or an old broke up farm house like my situation--ended up with a HITZER 50-93 & have never looked back.

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Thu. Aug. 15, 2019 12:04 pm

Chubby all the way. More BTUs, easier to use and shake down, and way less moving parts. i believe the Chubby holds more Coal. You can fill from the top or the door. Customer service by Larry is second to none, you speak to the owner every time. Also the Chubby has a very effective blower whereas I believe the VC does not.

Larry will also refurbish your existing or sell you a refurbished unit if brand new is not for you.

If I was burning wood, I'd be all for the Vermont Castings product. The Chubby is so much better for Coal burning.

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Tue. Aug. 20, 2019 9:47 pm

Vigilant II 2310 all the way but i am just a little biased. There hasn't been a wood burning Vigilant made in decades. I must admit customer support is priceless if you are starting out and you won't get that from VC for the vigilant.

I can say the 2310 is a great heater for its size. As stated, the shaker grates are not too aggressive.

Bob500
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite nut
Other Heating: gas steam

Post by Bob500 » Wed. Aug. 21, 2019 8:40 pm

I love my chubby. Granted it's the only coal stove I've ever owned but it does what I need. It's rugged, easy to use, burns all night and the service (Larry) is great.

woodandcoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Vigilant II
Coal Size/Type: pea and nut
Other Heating: Vermont Castings Resolute

Post by woodandcoal » Wed. Nov. 06, 2019 3:52 pm

I would like to get a Chubby one day but I have a Vigilant II. Burning only anthracite I can get 12 hours or more no problem as long as I keep the fly ash down. Biggest problem is the corners get full of ash and when that happens burn times drop and so does heat output. Other than that I also burn wood in it before it gets really cold and it is a great wood burner with 6-8 hours burn time. Have had the stove for over 5 years and also have a VC Resolute wood burner that is 30 years old. The older VC products are great stoves.

Eb426
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Eb426 » Sun. Nov. 10, 2019 10:54 am

I am biased too. I absolutely love my chubby!!
Super simple and rugged.
And Larry’s customer service sets the bar for any company out there!

Freedom
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby jr.
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Freedom » Sun. Nov. 10, 2019 2:18 pm

So what did ya go with ?

Ultralume
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Vigilant II, Godin 3720, Godin 3731
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut and Stove Coal

Post by Ultralume » Fri. Nov. 19, 2021 11:38 pm

I do not own a Chubby but do own a Vigilant II stove. I am very pleased with the Vigilant II. The doors have relatively large windows that give you a nice view of the fire. Top loading makes adding coal real easy. Ease of ash and clinker removal as well as long burn times are important if you want to keep a fire going continuously. That is where the Vigilant II shines IMHO. The doors open and a cover piece easily comes out to expose the grate. It is easy to floss the grate and push ashes out. I don't bother using the shaker handle at all. I never spend more than 5 to 10 minutes servicing the stove. Despite what some have said about the grates, they seem robust and are very easy to replace if need be. The individual pieces can move a little bit side to side making it easy to get rid of clinkers. The stove has a recirculation mode that, when engaged, re routes exhaust gases down the sides and up the rear of the stove, a concept similar ( albeit not as elaborate) as a baseburner antique stove. The air intake has a flapper "valve" thermostat that maintains an even stove temperature. I only have a barometric damper. No MPD is needed with the Vigilant II. I can burn pea, nut and stove coal without any issues. 12 hours burn time with 400-450F temperature is no problem even with large stove sized coal. Nut and pea coal burn even slower and I can get 15-16 hours easily. Yes... ashes can accumulate in the corners and reduce the amount of coal that burns.... but cleaning out the corners is easy and never a problem. I can't compare to a Chubby, but I can compare the Vigilant II to a large Godin Oval stove. The Godin does not have a recirculation mode. Instead, the exhaust manifold in my Godin is set up to vent low, which makes it more efficient as the manifold acts as a heat exchanger. Both are great stoves and put out a good amount of heat. However, the Godin takes more time to service. I have to spend more time poking out ashes through the front grate and move the lower grate with the riddling rod. I alternate between poking ashes out and using the ridding rod for about 15 minutes to get all the ashes and clinkers out. The end result is the same. I can keep both stoves going continuously. However, there is much less mess and work cleaning the Vigilant II. I've had my Vigilant II for about 25 years and have not had any problems with it. I take care of it, clean it out thoroughly at the end of the season, remove ashes and coal pieces from the sides and rear, use stove polish. It still looks and works like new. I guess I am biased toward the Vermont Castings stove. It is my favorite.

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Sat. Nov. 20, 2021 1:28 pm

FWIW... I bought a used older Vigilant some years ago and it came with coal grates (but they were still in the original box never installed). I wasn't aware at the time of purchase but the manufacturer recommended (or maybe required) this Vigilant use an 8" exhaust vent. My chimney is 6" and so I never used the stove and sold it shortly after buying it at a small profit.

I've been real happy with the Chubby.

keegs

Post by keegs » Sat. Nov. 20, 2021 1:30 pm

Ha! This is an old thread :)

ASea
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120

Post by ASea » Sat. Nov. 20, 2021 2:42 pm

keegs wrote:
Sat. Nov. 20, 2021 1:28 pm
FWIW... I bought a used older Vigilant some years ago and it came with coal grates (but they were still in the original box never installed). I wasn't aware at the time of purchase but the manufacturer recommended (or maybe required) this Vigilant use an 8" exhaust vent. My chimney is 6" and so I never used the stove and sold it shortly after buying it at a small profit.

I've been real happy with the Chubby.
6" probably wouldve been fine for Coal. Chubby is a grate stove.

keegs

Post by keegs » Sat. Nov. 20, 2021 4:45 pm

ASea wrote:
Sat. Nov. 20, 2021 2:42 pm
6" probably wouldve been fine for Coal. Chubby is a grate stove.
Yeah.. the 6" flue would have worked fine but I probably wasn't sure how the insurance company would look at it had there been the need for a claim.

ASea

Post by ASea » Sat. Nov. 20, 2021 5:06 pm

keegs wrote:
Sat. Nov. 20, 2021 4:45 pm
Yeah.. the 6" flue would have worked fine but I probably wasn't sure how the insurance company would look at it had there been the need for a claim.
Truth! Anything that gives them an out.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”