Franco beldge model 104.008

Jgspfldma
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Franco beldge model 104.08
Coal Size/Type: Pea or nut coal

Post by Jgspfldma » Tue. Sep. 10, 2019 5:19 pm

I'm in a quandary, chimney sweep did a really good thorough job and was honest. He found and after the inspection I saw that my boiler flue is broken just above the smoke shelf in the fireplace. I can visibly see it now that everything is nice and clean. 1 how can I fix this, and 2 I am in a hurry to get this stove hooked up, but I also don't want to endanger my household. The flue liner I'd be piping the stove into got a A+ rating it is in great shape, but he mentioned a SS liner for the stove but I know that just running through the clay tile is best and easiest. But how could I go about repairing the small section of boiler flue that's broken off? Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks all

Jgspfldma

Post by Jgspfldma » Tue. Sep. 10, 2019 6:27 pm

I'm in a quandary, chimney sweep did a great job, but he found the boiler flue just above the smoke shelf has a 6×8 in break in it so it's venting into both flues. Good news is both flues are in great shape other than this small broken section. Any recommendations on how to repair or fix this? Gotta get my stove hooked up but I want everything to be safe as well, currently it would not be safe . Thanks for any input!

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Tue. Sep. 10, 2019 7:13 pm

I would simply run the connecting pipe from the stove past that damaged area. Even if it were not damaged the stove pipe should go at least several feet into the clay liner. Seal around the stove pipe with stuffed in rock wool or fiberglass insulation. Five inch pipe will go through most dampers with the help of two adjustable elbows, but easier if you can provide more room by removing the damper and cutting the frame for more clearance. Keep in mind you want simple when cleaning the pipe.

If you are going into an existing SS liner then there is no problem either.

Jgspfldma

Post by Jgspfldma » Fri. Dec. 11, 2020 7:55 pm

Well it's been a heck of a year, had help from neighbors to install a ss liner for my oil boiler found a broken clay tile in smoke shelf for the boiler service flue. My fire place tiles are in good shape though and tomorrow is the day I'm hooking up my stove and buying my coal. My one question I have franco B experts is do I need to install a barometric damper on my 114.08.02 ? My chimney as it is now I can feel the draw when I open the fireplace damper it blows my hair lol, going up the chimney so draft is not going to be an issue. But I don't want to lose heat either just getting sucked up the chimney. So how good is that thermostat setting? Thanks

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Fri. Dec. 11, 2020 7:58 pm

Should not need any damper as long as the ash door is tight and you remember to close the slots after shaking. The thermostat will control temperature.

Jgspfldma

Post by Jgspfldma » Fri. Dec. 11, 2020 8:03 pm

Awesome , so I have the T I will just cap it then so I have easy clean out access. One more question, I suppose my mantle is maple it's a good 22 or so inches away from the top of the stove, is that enough clearance? I know they say 36 in all around but im not sure how hot this stove will run.

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Fri. Dec. 11, 2020 8:12 pm

With the stove running, hold your hand on the wood. Should be just warm. If hot, you will have to shield.

Jgspfldma

Post by Jgspfldma » Fri. Dec. 11, 2020 8:17 pm

Seems easy enough to check what is the best shielding if I need to just metal or some fire retardant board? Thanks so much for your time in answering my questions, the forum has taught me more than I ever thought I'd learn lol.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”