Easy pour hod

charlesosborne2002
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: natural gas central forced air

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Sat. Aug. 03, 2019 12:31 pm

I have a top loading coal stove which is easy to load (Vigilant II), except that if I try pouring coal in from a traditional hod, nut coal tends to go back behind the (open) damper, making it impossible to close the damper after loading. Sometimes it is easy enough to drag the nugget out into the fire, but other times it is not easy, especially if the lump is small and slides into the crevice.

Of course, loading one scoop at a time would work, but is more trouble. I like to just pour a bucketful in.

A coal hod with a partial top so that coal pours out in a stream (rather than just dumping every which way) would be so much better for aiming the coal. Simply taping a piece of cardboard, leaving an open spout for pouring, would work--but of course would have to be done again each time. Does anybody make a scuttle with a more controlled pour, or do I have to go to a metal working shop?

Maybe a metal screen or grate could rest on the damper floor during loading--on a chain for lifting it out... obviously nothing to block the draft.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sat. Aug. 03, 2019 1:00 pm

I have the same stove, so know the problem. I have found that not tipping the hod so much, but just on the edge of the coal falling, and then kind of shaking the back side of the hod, the coal falls straight down with only a rare piece going astray. I have a poker with L shaped end I use to level the coal pile and hook that rare piece. The lip of the hod also has to be on the edge of the opening or as close as possible. A hod with a wide lip is harder to control than one with a narrower one.

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Sat. Aug. 03, 2019 1:49 pm

Try Facebook marketplace or any antique shop that is local. Some have factory spouts, some copper ones shaped like a big water pitcher might work for your heater.

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Sat. Aug. 03, 2019 3:15 pm

I do a modified version of Franko B's method. I let the lip of the hod sitt on the front edge of the opening and slowly tilt it to one side then as I tip the back. This makes the coal flow to the side of the bed (sort of). Then I continue to tip the back and tilt the hod toward the other side and slide the hod in the opposite direction of the pour. Good for you if you can figure out what I mean!

charlesosborne2002

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Sat. Aug. 03, 2019 5:16 pm

franco b wrote:
Sat. Aug. 03, 2019 1:00 pm
I have the same stove, so know the problem. I have found that not tipping the hod so much, but just on the edge of the coal falling, and then kind of shaking the back side of the hod, the coal falls straight down with only a rare piece going astray. I have a poker with L shaped end I use to level the coal pile and hook that rare piece. The lip of the hod also has to be on the edge of the opening or as close as possible. A hod with a wide lip is harder to control than one with a narrower one.
Thanks, Franco, some of that I knew (I have the poker with a crook on it too), but I have only tried one hod. I suspected a smaller spout would control the flow better.

charlesosborne2002

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Sat. Aug. 03, 2019 5:18 pm

mntbugy wrote:
Sat. Aug. 03, 2019 1:49 pm
Try Facebook marketplace or any antique shop that is local. Some have factory spouts, some copper ones shaped like a big water pitcher might work for your heater.
Wow, mtnbugy, that picture is just what I was looking for, with the controlled flow spout. Might it be sold for water, or for coal? Haen't seen one.

charlesosborne2002

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Sat. Aug. 03, 2019 5:24 pm

VigIIPeaBurner wrote:
Sat. Aug. 03, 2019 3:15 pm
I do a modified version of Franko B's method. I let the lip of the hod sitt on the front edge of the opening and slowly tilt it to one side then as I tip the back. This makes the coal flow to the side of the bed (sort of). Then I continue to tip the back and tilt the hod toward the other side and slide the hod in the opposite direction of the pour. Good for you if you can figure out what I mean!
Alas, VigII, your method relies on skill rather than just buying something. But yes, when it works that is sort of what I try to do. The jamming is somewhat rare, but one time last season a small piece was stuck behind the damper so stubbornly that I could not get it out until next time I let the fire die for cleaning--so it stayed on updraft all the time. (That works, of course, but limits controls.) You can't just reach up in there, even with stove gloves and a sharp tool, while the coal rages.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Aug. 03, 2019 6:00 pm

Not my idea but others have taken a 5 gallon bucket with a lid, cut a hole in the lid and attach some PVC pipe.

charlesosborne2002

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Sat. Aug. 03, 2019 6:04 pm

charlesosborne2002 wrote:
Sat. Aug. 03, 2019 5:24 pm
Alas, VigII, your method relies on skill rather than just buying something. But yes, when it works that is sort of what I try to do. The jamming is somewhat rare, but one time last season a small piece was stuck behind the damper so stubbornly that I could not get it out until next time I let the fire die for cleaning--so it stayed on updraft all the time. (That works, of course, but limits controls.) You can't just reach up in there, even with stove gloves and a sharp tool, while the coal rages.
But wait. I thought of something like a big funnel to feed the coal, or a sort of filling hopper. Here is an ordinary cheap granite ware roaster. The deep sides fit right into the open stove top and it rests securely on the pan ridge. Cut out the front half of the bottom, or a bit more, and there you go.
download/file.php?mode=view&id=96054&sid=07d22449 ... 6e885c3519
download/file.php?mode=view&id=96055&sid=07d22449 ... 6e885c3519
The hod overflow is only a problem when it is loaded full. After you get about half of it poured in, the rest is more easily controlled.

But the hods with a covered spout were ideal, and for coal burning cook stoves would be almost necessary unless a scoop is used, if pouring into the round holes.

Attachments

graniteware1.jpg
.JPG | 418.4KB | graniteware1.jpg
graniteware2.jpg
.JPG | 439.1KB | graniteware2.jpg

charlesosborne2002

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Sat. Aug. 03, 2019 6:06 pm

Richard S. wrote:
Sat. Aug. 03, 2019 6:00 pm
Not my idea but others have taken a 5 gallon bucket with a lid, cut a hole in the lid and attach some PVC pipe.
That sounds practical and efficient.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”