354 burn times.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Jul. 17, 2019 3:00 pm

Anyone using a Hitzer 354 and have any comments about it? Would like to see some burn time and loading/tending information.

I am hearing it is a heat monster.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Jul. 17, 2019 5:02 pm

H, did you try the search bar--top right-- might help--just type HITZER 354. YES, she can throw out some heat!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .>)

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Jul. 18, 2019 8:03 am

Hoytman wrote:
Wed. Jul. 17, 2019 3:00 pm
Anyone using a Hitzer 354 and have any comments about it? Would like to see some burn time and loading/tending information.

I am hearing it is a heat monster.
It really depends how hard you run the stove. I ran a model 82, and it would easily go 12-15 hours between tending in the dead of winter. In the spring and fall I could tend it once per day.

buffalo bob
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 354 and a 254
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut

Post by buffalo bob » Thu. Jul. 18, 2019 3:57 pm

every 12 hours is best, can go 16 easy...luv mine...

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Jul. 22, 2019 2:42 pm

What size home are y'all using the Hitzer 354 in?

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Jul. 22, 2019 2:47 pm

H, that depends on what size YOU are wantin to heat with it. :)

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Aug. 06, 2019 10:32 pm

Well...I guess we’re going to find out for ourselves this winter. Hint...hint...

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Aug. 07, 2019 7:24 am

LOL--indeed H. :)

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Aug. 07, 2019 9:45 am

H, If I read you correct then that young'in will have a another new found hobby with dear ole Dad!

Enjoy your shared venture.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Aug. 07, 2019 11:52 am

Yep...least I'm hoping. He's as excited about it as I am. He also enjoyed meeting everyone at the Hitzer factory last year.

Just found and bought...had it two weeks now...a 20 year old Hitzer 354 double door. This thing was 25 minutes from my house and I am telling you...it hasn't had 6 fires in it...it's barely got small spots of surface rust on the inside.

It's likely going to be way too big for my 1300 sq. ft. house, but at least I'll get to see what it's like burning black rocks and can gauge from there what size stove will be best. Either way, it's found a home and if nothing else I'll oil it up and keep it for a rainy day...a bigger home. I like the looks of those double doors too. I will post pictures soon I hope. Going to clean the dust off of it first...and there's not much of that.

Apparently an elderly widow had an addition put on her house and bought the stove to be placed into the addition. The story she told the new owners was that she only had 2-3 fires in the stove before she sold the home to the current owner. The current owner only used wood it in and even then he said he only used it one winter. I believe I misunderstood that statement because it looks like he only had one wood fire in it. That is, very minimal staining of the fire bricks from any use of the stove at all. As you can tell, I'm just a little excited about getting a stove.

Here is a link to some pictures of a similar stove by a member of this forum...scroll down and you will see it...by Glenn...aka grobinson2. Glenn actually called me a talked to me about this stove and was real helpful.
Pictures of Your Stove
… his is silver detail, mine is gold.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Aug. 07, 2019 12:00 pm

I had called and talked to Kyle at Hitzer and he also was very helpful. Apparently, they still make and sell a few double door stoves. He just said they don't have them in their brochures. He and another person I talked to said they preferred the double doors on stoves both in form and function. I found that interesting. They was also able to look up the serial number of the stove and give me an approximate time it was built as well.

The wife and I were going to go to Berne for Swiss days and visit the factory again and take another tour, but that fell through. I had two boys decided they wanted to camp in a tent in the woods on the hill behind the house, so we put the trip off. We plan to go back in the next two weeks to look around, ask more questions, buy a few bags of coal to try out, and take another factory tour. Can hardly wait.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Aug. 07, 2019 12:37 pm

H, if ya run into Dean on your Berne trip--tell him Freetown Fred (from the Coal Site) said hi!! :)---check all the gaskets on that 354--even if they look a lil iffy--replace--you're gonna love that stove--also, check grates for smoothness of operation.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Aug. 07, 2019 1:14 pm

I will tell him, Fred.

Believe it or not, the gaskets look pert near factory new...nice and clean and white and the grates look and work new as well. You won’t believe the pictures when I post them. This stove is as near new as can be, Fred.

Unlike the pictures in the link, the only two things that are different from the stove I bought and the one Glenn had are:

1. Ash door opens from the left side.

2. Ash door is solid rather than having a slide air control.

I was considering hauling the stove with me to Hitzer just to let them look at it AND to possibly have a vented ash door made for it if I needed to...and have two doors. I don’t know why that would be necessary, but I could and may do it. I’ll likely buy some spare fire bricks while I’m there as well as gasket material to have on hand. They’re only about an hour forty minutes from me.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Aug. 07, 2019 3:34 pm

If you cant dial it down low enough, that is what windows are for. :D

I can feel your excitement from your writing. Congrats.

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Wed. Aug. 07, 2019 10:52 pm

Are you able to put the stove in the basement? That will make the heat less brutal. Though I bet with good gaskets you'll be able to idle it way down. Good Luck! Sounds like a great find.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”