Keeping fly ash under control...how?

Demented

Post by Demented » Sun. Jul. 07, 2019 6:21 pm

I was using my insert quite happily for several years despite some ash getting on to the furniture in the living and dining rooms where the insert is located (insert grumbling wife's remarks here ;) ). Well two years ago the wife decided that it was time for a new living room suite and had new carpet. Needless to say, this totally changed the look of the room, but came with a price...I can't burn the insert any more. :what: :(

Fortunately oil is staying reasonably priced, however coal is still MUCH cheaper and I feel provides a "warmer" feel, and I would like to start using the insert again this upcoming winter.

So I was wondering how everybody keeps their ashes under control. I know there will be some ash that escapes the stove and ash pan, but I think that if I can keep the ash that escapes into the living room air to a bare minimum, I can fire up the insert again this winter.

snuffy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF250 & Mark III backup
Other Heating: Oil Hot Water

Post by snuffy » Sun. Jul. 07, 2019 7:20 pm

After the shake down let the ash cool about an hour or more. As cooler air enters it also contains moisture and settles into the ash reducing fly ash.

Serge
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak nuts

Post by Serge » Mon. Jul. 08, 2019 1:25 pm

When shaking your stove, crack open your glass door, less than 1/2 inch while shaking, this creates à draft, so flying ash will go up your chimney. I experience it last season and it realy works for me. Your glass also stay cleaner.

I shake my stove at night and leave the ash in the pan, then skate it in the morning and also leave the ash in the pan, at night before shaking I empty the ashpan in a metal container with a cover, and use a vacuum cleaner connected to your container. This way I am sure wife will be happyer.

PFrank
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Fatsco Midget
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Propane wall heater

Post by PFrank » Tue. Jul. 30, 2019 8:44 pm

Remember to turn off all fans when the stove is open.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”