Chubby

RSorjanen
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby,Warm Morning 617A/Warm Morning 523
Baseburners & Antiques: Empress Atlantic
Coal Size/Type: nut, pea

Post by RSorjanen » Mon. Oct. 21, 2019 12:55 pm

warminmn wrote:
Mon. Oct. 21, 2019 12:33 pm
You should be able to idle it down with nut. You might still have a leaky bottom door gasket (could be hinges too as you mentioned). If not, put a piece of aluminum tape over one of the bottom door air slots. I did that with my JR and can control the fire a lot better. I have a wild draft that even with a baro the draft can get high. But regardless, I just open the slot left a little more. I can run it 200 degrees all day now.
The bottom door seals nicely but will check again. I like the idea of sealing up one of the slots on the bottom door. When I said the Lehigh burns hot didn't mean the stove was getting too hot it just seems to burn hotter than the Kimmels or TSC coal.
Bob

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Oct. 21, 2019 2:44 pm

The bottom door holes leak a little bit and I know it helped me doing it. Your results may vary.

Freedom
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby jr.
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Freedom » Tue. Oct. 22, 2019 4:23 pm

Fix the leaks & it will run slowly for hours . Only had my rebuilt Jr Chubby for two months now . But she will sit at 175 -180 for 24 hours with the bottom air just barely open about the thickness of a matchbook cover .... Hasn't been real cold here yet in Orange county NY yet. So far I love this stove .with the MPD just about all the way closed and air door open the slightest crack as I said above I only load & shake once a day . The thing I like best is when it's in the upper 50's furring the day she stays at around 175 , then when it cools off at night to say mid to low 40's the temp climbs all by itself to around 300 - 325 , that I can't explain for sure but I'm thinking the draft increases as the temp drops and she pulls more air in causing the temp to go up ????? Like I said I don't know why but I like it . Never going back to wood again . Sincerely ,Freedom , stay warm burn coal

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Tue. Oct. 22, 2019 8:20 pm

Glad you got it working good Freedom. Yes, its the cold air increasing the draft. Kind of a natural way to get more heat when needed as you've found out. A lot of coal things, the natural things work better.

Freedom
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby jr.
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Freedom » Tue. Oct. 22, 2019 11:19 pm

Thanks for clearing that up warminmn & all your advice in the past . The stove has become a real hobby beside just heating my place and I’m enjoying learning more about each time

RSorjanen

Post by RSorjanen » Wed. Oct. 23, 2019 9:59 pm

warminmn wrote:
Mon. Oct. 21, 2019 12:33 pm
You should be able to idle it down with nut. You might still have a leaky bottom door gasket (could be hinges too as you mentioned). If not, put a piece of aluminum tape over one of the bottom door air slots. I did that with my JR and can control the fire a lot better. I have a wild draft that even with a baro the draft can get high. But regardless, I just open the slot left a little more. I can run it 200 degrees all day now.
waminmn have to thank you for the tip on sealing up one of the bottom door openings on the chubby.
I tried the metal tape over one of the bottom holes, it is like night and day have much better control can idle it down to a slow burn now. Told one of my friends about that and he is going to try it on his Chubby. His is one I told he could try to see if he will like burning coal, so far he likes it not having to get up in the middle of the night to put wood in.
Bob

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Wed. Oct. 23, 2019 10:42 pm

You welcome. Im glad it worked for you too. its not going to work for everyone as no two situations are the same. Im burning the best coal Ive ever bought this year and its making it even easier. TSC coal I'd need both slots open as more ash from it.

RSorjanen

Post by RSorjanen » Wed. Oct. 23, 2019 10:47 pm

warminmn wrote:
Wed. Oct. 23, 2019 10:42 pm
You welcome. Im glad it worked for you too. its not going to work for everyone as no two situations are the same. Im burning the best coal Ive ever bought this year and its making it even easier. TSC coal I'd need both slots open as more ash from it.
right now burning up the Kimmels pea coal that I got when I bought the two stoves, but will hopefully be burning the Lehigh nut for the winter.
Bob

lobsterman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby, 1980 Fully restored by Larry Trainer
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Chubby Jr, early model with removable grates

Post by lobsterman » Sun. Nov. 17, 2019 12:48 pm

RSorjanen wrote:
Sat. Jul. 06, 2019 9:14 pm
I actually ordered some parts from Larry. Then before heating season going to order the fireview door for the one I will be using here. yes have heard GREAT things about Larry
Bob
Do they have the newer shaker system? If not, it is a must-do upgrade. I actually prefer the natural convection and the quietness of the non-blower. Others, Including Larry, like to run the blower.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”