Disapointed with the DS Insert

orrsmills

Post by orrsmills » Sat. May. 11, 2019 6:50 pm

I went to look/buy a DS Insert today. Left the place disappointed. The door of the coal loader on top of the stove is such a lousy design. It was such a pain in @ss to open the door. Even the stove dealer had a hard time opening the door. Maybe over time it would get easier after the tool wore in a little. But after doing it a couple of times the gasket on the door came off. Plus the wooden handle would twist. Im not sure if this was an older stove and it has been redesigned. Looks like Im going to get a Hitzer.

cedar
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Fireplaces Insert
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut
Other Heating: Osburn 2400 insert

Post by cedar » Sun. May. 12, 2019 4:40 pm

Well that's a bummer to read as I get ready to order one this week...Is the lid still the design seen in the messick you tube videos??

orrsmills

Post by orrsmills » Sun. May. 12, 2019 5:00 pm

cedar wrote:
Sun. May. 12, 2019 4:40 pm
Well that's a bummer to read as I get ready to order one this week...Is the lid still the design seen in the messick you tube videos??
Hi,
I just looked at the YOUTUBE video of the insert with a published date of Jan 3 2017 and in that video the door on top is different from the one I looked at yesterday. Actually the one in the video looked a lot better. However, in the video they said that stove is a prototype and they will be making changes. Looks like they changed it for the worse.

When I looked at the stove yesterday I asked the guy twice if this is a newer stove and he said yes. You should look at the stove before you order it even if you have to drive out of your way to see one. I had to make a trip to look at one as not too many people sell DS inserts.

Take a look at hitzer too.

orrsmills

Post by orrsmills » Sun. May. 12, 2019 5:10 pm

Hey Cedar,

Another thing I did like about the DS is that if you have to replace the fan you can replace it without having to remove the stove by removing the bricks in the back for access. However, the stove is so deep it would be a major pain to do so. Plus if replacement needs to happen in middle of winter you have to kill the fire and wait for those bricks to cool down. Other than that I did like the stove, it seemed very solid.

But they really missed the mark with those wooden handles and the top door mechanism.

Let me know what you end up getting. Im almost certain Im going with Hitzer as that insert seems so solid and have been proven.

cedar
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Fireplaces Insert
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut
Other Heating: Osburn 2400 insert

Post by cedar » Mon. May. 13, 2019 6:20 pm

Yea, the fan replacement is/would be a bummer.. So what was the top lid design that you saw then?
The place I'm likely to buy from has a Hitzer in the show room, while everything seems solid and I'm sure I'd be happy with it, I just didnt care for it's overall appearance.Granted its not much, but I just don't care for the gold/silver accents.
Having said that it's funny you mentioned the wood handles on the DS because I actually liked them. Now how well they hold up who knows, but I just kinda liked its overall no frills, flat black, just down to business appeal. It reminded me of my osburn i have now.
Sadly there is no one near by that has a DS insert, they'd have to order. DS themselves is like 6-7 hr ride for me, so that's not happening. I was able to look over the Anthramax stoves and those sure seem solid.. I've talked to Messick they've had no complaints with the several they sold.
Sigh...

orrsmills

Post by orrsmills » Tue. May. 14, 2019 8:06 am

cedar wrote:
Mon. May. 13, 2019 6:20 pm
Yea, the fan replacement is/would be a bummer.. So what was the top lid design that you saw then?
The place I'm likely to buy from has a Hitzer in the show room, while everything seems solid and I'm sure I'd be happy with it, I just didnt care for it's overall appearance.Granted its not much, but I just don't care for the gold/silver accents.
Having said that it's funny you mentioned the wood handles on the DS because I actually liked them. Now how well they hold up who knows, but I just kinda liked its overall no frills, flat black, just down to business appeal. It reminded me of my osburn i have now.
Sadly there is no one near by that has a DS insert, they'd have to order. DS themselves is like 6-7 hr ride for me, so that's not happening. I was able to look over the Anthramax stoves and those sure seem solid.. I've talked to Messick they've had no complaints with the several they sold.
Sigh...
Hi, the lid design I saw had a like a little key hole on top and the you used a tool like a key to put in the hole and turn it. It was tough to get the "key" into the hole. Had to try it a few times and it would scratch the lid. also, after trying it a few times the gasket came loose.

I know it can be a tough decision. Good luck, let me know. Like I sad I got two other Private messages with negative views on DS, take that for what its worth. Im sure there are a lot of people who may like the stove. I just think its too new of a stove and going with the Hitz after seeing it in person. You may like it.

Jerseyguy

Post by Jerseyguy » Tue. Sep. 10, 2019 5:41 am

I know this is an old post, but I bought the ds last year. The lid was very simple to remove, only complaint I had was it's not hinged and has to be completely removed to fill. The reason I went with the ds over the hitzter was the shaker design. I dont like that the door is open when you shake it down, ds is an exterior design. The ds worked great for me last winter. Good luck with your purchase.

Jerseyguy

Post by Jerseyguy » Tue. Sep. 10, 2019 5:44 am

Also, I got more upto date info from ds themselves than I did messick. Bill is a great guy and I purchased from him, but there were design changes that he was unaware of that I found out by going to ds and talking with them.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”