Hitzer/DS Insert

orrsmills

Post by orrsmills » Thu. Apr. 18, 2019 8:52 am

Hi folks,

I was on here a few years back researching coal stoves as I was planning on replacing my wood burning insert with a coal insert. However, I just kept cutting wood and continued with the wood insert. This winter/spring I have not cut any wood as I could not get motivated for that laborious work(been doing it for 16 years) so this time Im really going to make the switch.

My current wood insert (Quadra Fire 4100I) does a great job and hoping to have even better results with the coal insert.

I was set on the Hitzer 503 but also looking into the DS Machine. However, I cannot find any documentation on the DS Insert. Does anyone know this stoves rating, hopper size, etc? Pros, cons between the two stoves From the pics of the stove it seems the Hitzer is larger stove.

Any info to help make my decision would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Thu. Apr. 18, 2019 7:11 pm

Just from the fact that the DS insert is quite new and the Hitzer is established and has many users, I would surmise that most opinions will naturally lean toward the Hitzer. And I further suspect that this may be rather unfair due to the bias of ownership and the relative newness of the DS insert leading to the likelihood that few own it.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Thu. Apr. 18, 2019 7:25 pm

Hitzer has a great reputation and an established line of stoves. DS makes lots of noise and introduces something new every time you turn around.
Harman (now Legacy, I believe) makes some nice coal units, but I don't know if they have a fireplace insert.
The hoppers offered with DS and Hitzer make tending the stove much easier and faster than a non-hopper model.
If it fits your physical space, it's better (within reason) to go with a stove larger than you need rather than smaller -- coal can be dialed back to a long slow burn.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Thu. Apr. 18, 2019 11:00 pm

JerseyGuy has one...
Ds coal insert

coalfan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds circultor1500 \chubby coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/ pea ant.some bit.
Other Heating: kerosene\cold nat. gas

Post by coalfan » Fri. Apr. 19, 2019 8:57 am

go to messick stove . com site i think it has specs on what you are looking for etc. good luck ,

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”