magic coal?

squigglefunk
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Baker Stoves Coal/Wood
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite nut

Post by squigglefunk » Fri. Mar. 15, 2019 2:41 pm

how to make coal burn for 48-72 hrs like I see people talking about here? I can't for the life of me, maybe 12 hrs on a load max?

I plan on using as much wood as possible as it is cheaper (even free many times) but I would love to hear the magic way to make coal burn so long. It seems like it wouldn't make very much heat burning that slow?

thanks!

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Mar. 15, 2019 5:24 pm

Non electric hopper stoves (Hitzer 30-95 or 50-93 stove are an example), or large deep fire bed stoves are needed. They arent always running at low temps to run that long.

I just looked on the Baker site and it does not give stove specs.

archangel_cpj

Post by archangel_cpj » Fri. Mar. 15, 2019 8:54 pm

My cooking range with the drafts cracked get me 12 hours solid on 20pds my base burner mica stove went 4 days on 60 pounds of coal and I regularly was able to go 15 plus hours with only one shakedown...

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Fri. Mar. 15, 2019 9:22 pm

squigglefunk wrote:
Fri. Mar. 15, 2019 2:41 pm
how to make coal burn for 48-72 hrs like I see people talking about here? I can't for the life of me, maybe 12 hrs on a load max?

The fact you are using a coal/wood stove is my first concern. Wood burns from the top down, which is why wood stoves burn just fine on fire bricks or even sand. Coal stoves burn from he bottom up which is why there are grates. Now combustion air is a whole other element. Typically some coal stoves will burn wood pretty well but good wood stoves cannot perform so well with coal as you may be experiencing.
This may be a reason for your dissapointment. Keep the questions coming so we can help.

Spacecadet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95, Hitzer 30/95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: US stove 6041 pellet

Post by Spacecadet » Fri. Mar. 15, 2019 11:20 pm

The Harmon TLC2000 I had would go 48 hours easily with a full full fill without touching it. The Hitzer 30/95 i presently have has gone for 36 hours without touching it. I may be able to get it to go a little longer once the weather allows me to try.
Knowing how a real coal stove works and comparing it to the design of the wood (only) stoves I've had in the past, I see no way of them burning coal. Well maybe with a fabricated grate that sits on top of the fire brick. Even then, I do't think they would do a good job of heating with coal. I've seen coal insert grates for sale for the Russo stoves. I don't know how well they work and won't be buying one to finds out. I am happy with my Hitzer

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)

Post by keegs » Sat. Mar. 16, 2019 5:55 am

.....so you guys aren't mentioning the capacity of you burn pots and how much coal you're loading up at the start of a burn...otherwise I'm doing something wrong or this must be a downside to the Chubby.... or both.

I doubt I could get more than 10 hours out of a recoverable load of coal (25 lbs).

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Mar. 16, 2019 7:07 am

Results vary,Your Unit Type calls the shot on this one! There's a tool for every need. The Shoulder months are an interesting time for Coal Burners!

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Sat. Mar. 16, 2019 8:37 am

keegs wrote:
Sat. Mar. 16, 2019 5:55 am
.....so you guys aren't mentioning the capacity of you burn pots and how much coal you're loading up at the start of a burn...otherwise I'm doing something wrong or this must be a downside to the Chubby.... or both.

I doubt I could get more than 10 hours out of a recoverable load of coal (25 lbs).
You might need the BTU's that 25 pounds of coal makes in 10 hrs and that is why you cant run longer, unless your not able to run the stove lower temps without losing the fire.

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)

Post by keegs » Sat. Mar. 16, 2019 11:46 am

warminmn wrote:
Sat. Mar. 16, 2019 8:37 am
You might need the BTU's that 25 pounds of coal makes in 10 hrs and that is why you cant run longer, unless your not able to run the stove lower temps without losing the fire.
Unless I'm loading, the manual damper is closed and after she's digested some of the new fuel I turn the primary air down to 1/8" ...with those parameters she runs at around 400 F which is about what I need with outdoor temps in single digits or lower. The gaskets are two years old and so it's pretty tight. I can't say I've done it but I think I might put it out by shutting down the primary air completely. Maybe one variable is what I'm putting 25 lbs on top of. I try to tend just twice a day but if I load up at 6AM I'm going to need more fuel sometime before I load up for the night. My ash is typically fine with some small bits of burnable fuel but usually not very much. I clean the pan once maybe twice a day. The chimney has a good draft. It's 6" square tile at about 30' or so. The baro should keep any overdraft in check though and the draft control does flop around from time to time especially with high winds.

https://gfycat.com/disloyalspecificandeancat

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Sat. Mar. 16, 2019 12:22 pm

Sounds like you got her as good as you'll get her. I run my Jr on 8 hr tends if possible. kinda for the same reasons. Some do 12 hrs, and Ive done it, but I lose the fire sometimes too. I only run Jr when its sub-zero and windy, and in the shoulder seasons. My other stove will do 24 hrs easily spring and fall.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sat. Mar. 16, 2019 4:06 pm

Yep a big coal capacity stove will run long...
DS Basement #4 held close to 200# when stuffed...
It will slowly choke itself off if not ashed though...
But then you have a larger grate surface...
My DS basement #4 would go about 72 hrs...
Before getting to an unrecoverable state...
Mind you there was not much heat coming off the stove...
But would hold at 200* no problem...
Spring time weather 40's and let the house cool to 68...
The Hitzer 503 goes 24 hours no problem at about 250*...
It hold about 120# abit more if I stuff it full...
Had the windowstats open to air out the house...
Kept the stove at 250*...

ratherbeflying
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibraltar MCC
Coal Size/Type: stove, nut, pea
Other Heating: electric baseboard- breakers OFF!!

Post by ratherbeflying » Mon. Mar. 18, 2019 1:54 pm

i have gone 36 hours without shaking, running low temps like <250* stove face. i have a gibraltar mcc holds a solid 100lbs if you really want to, at low temps like that at the 36 hour mark i just have to shake down and keep going not needing to add any, recently went 3 full days without adding coal and recovered her no problem. if im running hot >550-650 i can get 36 hours without shaking but i ate through the most of the bed and need to add more at that point.. i may be able to go even longer when running low or higher i just never wanted to loose the fire so i never really tried to push it much more i was happy with 36 hours, may have been a little longer i cant remember exactly. i get the best low burns when i put a good couple of inches or more of pea on top. just the other day i had the face as low as 155*!! i was able to put my hand on top of the stove no problem! took a long time to get her hot again but she was still lit!! ill never burn wood again.

Bubbalowe
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Baseburners & Antiques: Grodin Petite
Other Heating: electric radiators until used boiler hook up

Post by Bubbalowe » Mon. Mar. 18, 2019 3:43 pm

After a short hospital stay turned the Vigilant over to wife to keep running and have to admit she is twice the coal burner as me. One pail every 12 hours evening and morning with small pan of ashes removed in morning. Absolutely hands off in between. After filling the house with ash dust and having fires go out regularly from over manipulating I've become a fan of coal burning watching someone that knows what they're doing. Not sure if burn time means time between refueling or length of time from start of burn until fire goes out without refueling. Most here have burn times measured in months while coal is added as needed, amounts used varying by size of stove and output.

squigglefunk
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Baker Stoves Coal/Wood
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite nut

Post by squigglefunk » Mon. Apr. 01, 2019 5:23 pm

meh i'll get the hang of it someday lol

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”