Room Thermostat Control of DS1300

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Wed. Mar. 13, 2019 6:58 pm

I have wanted to try this for ages, and finally got around to it -- using a room thermostat to control heat output from my DS 1300.

I ran 2-inch aluminum flex duct to just under the bi-metal heat control. The clamps supporting the duct are held to the stove with magnets. At the other end of the duct I put a hair dryer set to low/no heat. I used the LUX WIN100 programmable outlet thermostat – switches the outlet on/off based on temperature – to turn on the hair dryer when the room cools too much. It simultaneously turns on a pedestal fan to circulate room air. The cool air blown through the duct tricks the bi-metal to open the combustion air inlet, so the stove heats up.

It worked, but the hair dryer sounded like a jet engine, and my better half was NOT pleased. :evil: So I replaced it with an old 4-inch doorway fan. I made a simple fan housing by wrapping it circumferentially :!: with that foil-faced bubble wrap that you see on the heat shield, then attached the flex duct. The doorway fan puts out vastly less air than the hair dryer, but still chills the bi-metal pretty quickly, and is practically inaudible. Everything but the flex duct sits out of sight behind the heat shield. I like the fact there are ZERO stove modifications, and I can put it back to stock condition in thirty seconds by pulling off the magnets that hold the duct.

So far it is working pretty well. I have programmed a setback for night, and a boost for 6 AM so it will be warming by the time we get out of bed, and a larger boost for evening when we are just sitting around. Once set, I haven’t had to touch it at all. The bi-metal thermostat stays at its lowest number, which seems to be OK for a baseline minimum. When the weather gets really cold next winter, I may have to set the baseline somewhat higher. Minimum stove temperature is about 160 degrees, and the maximum boost I have seen so far is to 400.
lux3.JPG
.JPG | 539.8KB | lux3.JPG
lux4.jpg
.JPG | 13.9KB | lux4.jpg
lux5.jpg
.JPG | 53.3KB | lux5.jpg

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Wed. Mar. 13, 2019 7:50 pm

Now that's a hot idea! And also a cool idea!

DENNIS BAUER
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 105 - SOLD
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95 - Garage
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: HITZER 50-93 - HOUSE
Coal Size/Type: NUT
Other Heating: PROPANE FURNACE, ELECTIC BASE BOARD, AND WOOD FIRE PLACE

Post by DENNIS BAUER » Wed. Mar. 20, 2019 11:59 am

I'm wondering if they make the temperature controlled plug with a remote sensor. It'd be nice to do this same idea for a little bit of a distance away to get a more even house temperature.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Mar. 20, 2019 12:18 pm

DENNIS BAUER wrote:
Wed. Mar. 20, 2019 11:59 am
I'm wondering if they make the temperature controlled plug with a remote sensor. It'd be nice to do this same idea for a little bit of a distance away to get a more even house temperature.
Yup, that would be a common extension cord... ;)

DENNIS BAUER
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 105 - SOLD
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95 - Garage
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: HITZER 50-93 - HOUSE
Coal Size/Type: NUT
Other Heating: PROPANE FURNACE, ELECTIC BASE BOARD, AND WOOD FIRE PLACE

Post by DENNIS BAUER » Wed. Mar. 20, 2019 12:27 pm

McGiever wrote:
Wed. Mar. 20, 2019 12:18 pm
Yup, that would be a common extension cord... ;)
Not a bad idea but I'm thinking for the person with a stove in the basement type of thing....

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Wed. Mar. 20, 2019 3:26 pm

DENNIS BAUER wrote:
Wed. Mar. 20, 2019 11:59 am
The only one I could find was this Nashone, shown below. I was a little afraid of it because it appears to be a Chinese wonder marketed under at least half a dozen brand names. Also it has less sensitivity -- a full degree swing according to the literature, where the Lux swing is adjustable down to 1/4 degree. And the Lux is programmable for four different periods a day, which makes for a convenient night setback. Maybe the Nashone will have new models soon, and maybe programmable. The Lux seems to be very good quality.

For your purposes, or for a heater in the cellar, I can see why you want a remote sensor. My outlet is closer to the stove than I would like, and I was afraid it would be a problem, but it turned out to be kind of an advantage. It responds pretty quickly and cycles more often, but I have had zero problems with room temperature over-running. I wrapped the temperature sensor with foil to reflect radiant heat from the stove or the wall; and also screened the whole unit from the stove with a 6-inch square of foil-faced bubble wrap.
zzzz.jpg
.JPG | 9.3KB | zzzz.jpg

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”