Looking for Small Coal Stove..What Brand?

JoePA

Post by JoePA » Tue. Jul. 08, 2008 9:56 am

Hi! New to the board and I'm looking for a small coal stove to help keep the chill out of the house. I plan on installing the stove in the garage, which is below the apartment, and having the warm air rise up to the apartment through vents. The one problem I see having is the chimney. I'm either going to have to build a new one or power vent it. Any suggestions?

I'm looking at the Harman stove or the Hitzler brand? I live in Northeast PA so any idea would help greatly....these oil prices are going to kill me unless I do something soon!

thanks!
Joe

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Jul. 08, 2008 11:48 am

Hello Joe, what type of heat do you currently have in the apartment? How large of an area are you trying to heat?

If you can afford a new chimney, that is the way to go.

JoePA

Post by JoePA » Tue. Jul. 08, 2008 2:40 pm

The apartment and garage is currently heated by oil burner, hot water baseboard. The garage is 30W x 30L x 10H. My goal is to keep the garage, where the oil burner is located, as warm as possible so it doesn't cycle on and off as much. The problem is I don't know if it's calling for heat upsatairs or if the oil burner is cooling off and that's what's causing it to cycle.

I can afford a new chimney but if it's better to put the coal stove upstairs then I'll go that route. If I do install the stove upstairs can I run chimney pipe out through the wall then up to the roof or do I have to install a full blown concreate chimney no matter where I install it?

Thanks again and sorry for all the questions.

Joe

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Jul. 08, 2008 2:59 pm

Don't worry about asking questions, thats how you learn. You will certainly get a lot more useful heat from the stove if you install it in your living area, but you would still need to run the oil boiler to heat your garage and keep the boiler/baseboards from freezing.

Since you already have a hot water baseboard system, have you considered a coal boiler? Do you have a total budget in mind for this project?

gambler

Post by gambler » Tue. Jul. 08, 2008 3:37 pm

Hi Joe, First off do you own the apartment or are you renting it? If you own it a coal boiler would be the best thing that you can do if you have the cash. The next best thing you can do is get a coal stove and hook it to the chimney for the oil boiler (shut down oil boiler and remove chimney pipe) just use the coal stove as only heat source. Coal stove setup is less money than a boiler.

If you are renting the apartment then I would not purchase a boiler and get in writing the o.k. to install a coal stove.

With the stove in the garage you can hook up a hot air supply to the apartment and a cold air return from the apartment and that would leave enough residual heat from the stove in the garage to keep the pipes and boiler from freezing.

What ever route you decide to go you need to do it yesterday. Most manufacturers are out to a 3-5 month lead time and some are not taking any more orders for the year.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Tue. Jul. 08, 2008 4:03 pm

My vote is for Harman

JoePA

Post by JoePA » Tue. Jul. 08, 2008 8:30 pm

Thanks for all the input. :up:

We just purchased the oil burner last year so that's brand new. I was thinking the same thing as far as the stove in the living space. We own the apartment and trying to save some $$ any way possible!

Any idaes on the chimney? Can I run straight "pipe" for a chimney or does it need to be all concrete? Just curious. Going to do some searching next weekend or so for a stove...thanks for the insight...didn't know there was that much of a backlog on orders. Well I'll keep looking and keep asking!! Thanks again guys!

Joe

gambler

Post by gambler » Tue. Jul. 08, 2008 9:09 pm

JoePA wrote:Any idaes on the chimney? Can I run straight "pipe" for a chimney or does it need to be all concrete?
You will need either a block chimney or a stainless steel class "A" chimney. You can not use just single wall pipe for a chimney.

morrisfamily3098

Post by morrisfamily3098 » Fri. Aug. 15, 2008 6:38 am

i have a hitzer 30-95 in excelent condition that I am letting go this year if you are interested

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”