Harman Mk II blower

DRBill
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mk II
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: oil hot air

Post by DRBill » Sun. Mar. 10, 2019 4:02 pm

We got our Harman Mk II about 17 years ago. I thought the blower was a bit noisy, so I got a higher capacity blower and had a friend who worked in an HVAC shop make a stainless steel adapter. Worked fine for years, but in retrospect, it may have been more noisy. It died last fall and I replaced it with the original blower. This winter it just didn't seem to be putting out the air I thought it should and it seemed to be laboring. A week ago, I checked, and the intake screen was blocked with cat hair and coal dust. Removed that and now it really is putting out the air. Got to check both sides of the blower. The intake screen and the other side. Just a thought. Yes, the cats love to sleep behind the stove. Cleaning up the occasional hair ball is a chore.

Bill

BostonBob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman DVC500,Alaska Gnome 40
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by BostonBob » Sun. Mar. 10, 2019 10:13 pm

:lol: yes it is, we have 2 cats that let us live here and take care of their every whim ! Best part is we get to keep them toasty warm 😁😷

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Sun. Mar. 10, 2019 11:21 pm

Yep, I used to vacuum the blower screen weekly. The other thing was, if you looked closely at the curved blower vanes, they would gradually fill up with fine packed dust. The solution was to take the blower off the stove, turn it on, and blast compressed air at the vanes. Best NOT done in the living room.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Mon. Mar. 11, 2019 6:38 am

If you look into the fan you will see curved blades that are probably also full of debris. Remove the screen covering the intake and use a small tool to clear the debris out of the concave part of the blades it will work even better.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”