50-93 relocating with pics

BlackBetty06
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Nut
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Sun. Feb. 24, 2019 5:38 pm

Hey gang, I have this thread in another location also called Hand Fired stove location. I figured Id create this one to be more direct and detailed. My plan is to sell my Bradford White Aero oil fired water heater and install a new propane power vented water heater. This opens up an 8x8 masonry flue. The hitzer is currently hooked up through the fireplace in a 12x12 masonry flue. Both exterior for what its worth. The stove currently sits in front of the fireplace and blows across the basement through a set of double doors. Everything is directly inline with my stairwell. When the heat goes up the steps it does a solid 180 degree turn before it makes its way through the house. I really miss using my fireplace and so does my wife more than me. So my plan is to move the stove across the basement and hook it up into the other chimney where the water heater resides. This puts it near but "behind" the steps. Do you think my heat movement will be better or worse?

I want to get a large piece of sheet meatal made to put behind the stove and stand off the block about an inch to help keep heat from going through the wall. Do you think id be better off leaving it open so air can move behind the heat sheild or put insulation back there. Looking to keep the heat inside and as mobile as possible. Here are a few pics of where it would go. The stove would sit directly under where that ugly cabinet is that will be split up for kindling. There would be an 8 foot run of smoke pipe at a 45 degree angle before going into the flue. (25 foot chimney)

So what say you? Will I likely be better or worse off?

Attachments

IMG_0504.JPG

New location prospect ( Note stairway)

.JPG | 700.9KB | IMG_0504.JPG
IMG_0505.JPG

New location prospect

.JPG | 660.4KB | IMG_0505.JPG
image.jpg

Current location

.JPG | 784.6KB | image.jpg
image.jpg

From back of stove (steps can be seen)

.JPG | 647.2KB | image.jpg

ShawnLiNy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Waterford
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by ShawnLiNy » Mon. Feb. 25, 2019 12:46 am

Leave the air space , not too thick on sheet metal

BlackBetty06
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Mon. Feb. 25, 2019 6:07 am

Thats what I was thinking too on the air gap. I was planning to go standard HVAC ductwork 26 GA sheet metal. I would think also that the heat should move better up the steps since the stove is right near there and doesnt have to travel across the whole basement

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Thu. Mar. 07, 2019 8:03 pm

So the stove has been in its new location for 5 days now. The heat moves upstairs much better now that its near the stairwell. I cranked it up a little today before I went to work since it was 9 degrees out.(10 on the dial with draft of -.03 to -.04. MPD 90% closed, stove 375-400 pipe at 130 going into chimney). I came home and it was 78 in the kitchen and 75 in the living room. When it was this cold before id have the stove burning hotter and have to supplement about 3 or 4 times with the furnace. Also the 8 foot of smoke pipe adds a nice bit of additional radiant heat. The 8x8 chimney does not pull as hard as the fireplac12x12. I am going to get a piece of sheet metal made to stand off the wall 2" as a heat shield. Another plus is the stove keeps the jacket of my water heater around 100-105 degrees which really helps with standby heat cycles of the water heater. So much so that i haven't heard it cycle once if hot water is not being drawn from the tank. Happy with my decision. For anyone interested i have an oil fired water heater for sale and a newer style spare beckett burner for sale.

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Thu. Mar. 07, 2019 8:04 pm

A few pics

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 840.3KB | image.jpg
image.jpg
.JPG | 822.1KB | image.jpg

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Thu. Mar. 07, 2019 8:09 pm

Come spring I'm going to repaint the walls to get rid of the puke green paint. I've also been reading a bit on heat reflective paint. That puke green linoleum is asbestos. I wetted down and removed the piece where the stove is. I'm thinking of covering over the linoleum with carpet tiles and doing an epoxy under the stove. I figure it may be easier to cover the asbestos vs. Rip it out and deal with that.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Mar. 08, 2019 9:08 am

Good decision B!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Thu. Dec. 19, 2019 8:49 pm

Moving this stove to the same area as the stairs was the key. I have a small little Honeywell fan blowing down through a floor grate into the basement from the end of the house opposite the stove. This creates a very strong flow of heat come up my steps. The house is pretty even in temps within about two degrees in every area except for the part of the basement the stove is in. That area is about 84 the rest of the house and other half of the basement is 75. My coal usage has gone down a good bit too and the stove is MUCH more steady now that it’s on a smaller flue than before. Here’s a pic after I dressed up the stove room a bit.

Attachments

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Thu. Dec. 19, 2019 8:51 pm

Somehow a picture of a bald eagle eating a deer carcass slipped in there so enjoy that as well. The little green Jotul 118b took the place of the coal stove for spring and fall heating duties.

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Thu. Dec. 19, 2019 8:53 pm

Tonight’s fire view

Attachments

D9D56908-7D78-48D2-9B8C-40F5D8F294F7.jpeg

Tonight’s view

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Dec. 19, 2019 9:19 pm

Looks real good B!!!

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Dec. 20, 2019 1:57 am

Is that a Yotul 118? I think 118 Big Bear??? Scandia????

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Fri. Dec. 20, 2019 6:32 am

Thanks Fred.

Hoyt- yes it is a Jotul 118b. It is a 1980 vintage and was made in Oslo Norway. The 118 black Bear is the new version of this stove that has some secondary burn tubes inside to make it smoke a little less for the epa. Pound for pound that little beast throws impressive heat! I was fortunate enough to find the stove through a friend. A retired couple he knew was moving into assisted living and the listing agent said the stove needed removed due to the chimney being capped. I went to pick it up and they explained they only ran the stove the winter of 1980. When I asked what they wanted they said if your going to use air and give it a good home it’s yours. I argued with them that they need to take some money for awhile but they weren’t having it. I felt a little bad but they were adamant and the smiles on their face proves they weren’t lying. I couldn’t believe it and still can’t. I’m glad to call it mine now.

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Fri. Dec. 20, 2019 6:35 am

Here’s a little better pic of it. It looked like it was fresh of the showroom floor when I picked it up.

Attachments

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Fri. Dec. 20, 2019 7:23 am

looks great ..might also be good having the coal stove closer to that exterior door if the door it's used regularly or isn't so tight. 👍

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”