Grate busted in half.

MountainJet1
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coalbrookdale
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: baseboard electric

Post by MountainJet1 » Fri. Feb. 22, 2019 4:23 pm

It appears my coal heat is too strong for my cast iron grates. My stove has grates about 14 inches long.
Earlier this winter one broke in half. Just recently another. I replaced the first one, but saved the last one broken and
have been able to criss cross those 4 parts to create a workable grate. My concern is the remaining 12, and the approximate $40 cost per grate. It is a 1981 stove which came with the home I bought, so my cost is 0. Nevertheless, the stove is my main heating since 2013. It has gotten me through power outages, kept the house at even 70-72 degrees, and dramaticaly reduced my electric usage. I'm using nut coal. Should I continue to keep buying these parts? From other threads, it seems grates fail often. I clean the stove often. Usually white ash coal except this year red ash which has more clinkers. I usually let it run out on warmer winter days, and when very cold, I reload, shake, for about 3 days.
I am wondering if a foundry can make me steel grates to match my cast iron grates. Or should i just buy one of these more modern $2k ones. Not happy with the cost for these newer stoves, seems excessive and cheaply made. My coalbrookdale much wenloch is an amazing stove

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Fri. Feb. 22, 2019 4:59 pm

I imagine how you fire the stove will have an impact on the life of the grates, fire brick.. etc. etc. I was just looking at the cost to restore a Much Wenlock and so I have a general idea of the cost of some of the replacement parts. It's not insignificant.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Fri. Feb. 22, 2019 5:21 pm

You're seemingly thrilled with your stove. You count on it every Winter since 2013. It needs some Love to keep serving You. I'd rebuild the entire grate mechanism. Give it a Life Extension!

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Fri. Feb. 22, 2019 7:10 pm

MountainJet1 wrote:
Fri. Feb. 22, 2019 4:23 pm
I am wondering if a foundry can make me steel grates to match my cast iron grates.
What???
Steel grates will melt, that's why the make them out of cast iron.

I always loved the way the Coalbrookdale stoves look. But, as with a lot of cast stoves from across the pond, they could be a little more heavy duty. If you love the stove, then it would be a good idea to keep spares for it. 38 years isn't bad for a set of grates.

-Don

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Feb. 22, 2019 9:14 pm

MountainJet1 wrote:
Fri. Feb. 22, 2019 4:23 pm
Earlier this winter one broke in half. Just recently another.

Never needed to do it myself, but read that new grates need to be seasoned or broke in gradually...ya don't just stick em in and build a normal big ole 12 hour fire when first put into use...maybe others could elaborate better as to this process.

Seem to recall even that someone doing the seasoning in their kitchen oven with the controlled temps. and the timer to hold temp as required. This could allow so not to exceed the different steps along the way up to final temp. and time to heat soak.

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Sat. Feb. 23, 2019 5:30 am

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Feb. 23, 2019 8:41 am

keegs wrote:
Sat. Feb. 23, 2019 5:30 am
......and there's always on of these :)

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/625479084588693/
Yah, but then you have the 'Ol Facebook problem. They won't let you in unless you join and agree to give them your valuable information.

-Don

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Sat. Feb. 23, 2019 9:24 am

M sent you a P M .jack

MountainJet1

Post by MountainJet1 » Sat. Feb. 23, 2019 10:06 am

Thought steel was more expensive and the strongest, and why the higher end stoves use more steel not cast iron.
Thanks about the spares. I will keep a few instead of ordering when they go. Everything else with the stove is great.
Been burning coal since 2013 consistently. Previous to me, the other owner used wood only. They were in great shape, seems like the middle one is warped, and the two failed on the left side. I have been more careful shaking, and poking but it'sonly a matter of time. Glad winter wll be over soon.
StokerDon wrote:
Fri. Feb. 22, 2019 7:10 pm
What???
Steel grates will melt, that's why the make them out of cast iron.

I always loved the way the Coalbrookdale stoves look. But, as with a lot of cast stoves from across the pond, they could be a little more heavy duty. If you love the stove, then it would be a good idea to keep spares for it. 38 years isn't bad for a set of grates.

-Don

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Feb. 23, 2019 10:18 am

MountainJet1 wrote:
Sat. Feb. 23, 2019 10:06 am
Thought steel was more expensive and the strongest, and why the higher end stoves use more steel not cast iron.
Steel is stronger, but cast iron can take more heat. Stoves that are made from steel need firebrick in there firebox to keep the lit coal from coming in contact with the steel. The grates are always cast iron.

Glad to hear you are keeping your Much Wenloch. If you bought one of the new coal stoves, you might be disappointed.

-Don

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Feb. 23, 2019 10:21 am

One other option,....
If the grates seem a bit weak, you might be able to have stronger ones made. Many of us antique stove owners get recast cast iron parts made by foundries that specialize in that work. One used by quite a few of us is Tomahawk Foundry.

http://www.tomahawkfoundry.com/

Very often Tomahawk can recast new grates using your broken grates as the pattern. You can beef them up by adding a coating of Bondo or epoxy to the grates to thicken them so that the recasts made from them will come out thicker and stronger.

If you email Al at Tomahawk pictures of your broken grate, he can likely give you an estimate. He has for me when I needed new grate bars made.

Paul

MountainJet1

Post by MountainJet1 » Thu. Feb. 28, 2019 10:39 pm

thanks, will do

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”