How long for gasket cement to be dry enough to use stove

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Tue. Feb. 12, 2019 6:13 pm

This is not a perfect world thing had to shut down because ash pan door gasket fell apart and was leaking badly. Not quite out of control bad but bad enough I did not want to be sleeping with it going. I let the cement tack up for 10 minutes like the bottle said got the gasket in and wiped up excess. Put tape ( plastic oacking tape on stove where gasket sits and closd the door to have it dry in place. I was hoping an hour or so would do it.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Tue. Feb. 12, 2019 9:04 pm

Well it is now 3 hours later what did you end up doing?

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Tue. Feb. 12, 2019 9:14 pm

2 hours seems like it was a safe time seals good and tight finishing dinner then will sit with it for the relight. It is not hard and down to very simple just take my time doing as an excuse for another glass of wine or 2 LOL. You doing important stuff here...

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Wed. Feb. 13, 2019 6:26 am

ddahlgren wrote:
Tue. Feb. 12, 2019 9:14 pm
2 hours seems like it was a safe time seals good and tight finishing dinner then will sit with it for the relight. It is not hard and down to very simple just take my time doing as an excuse for another glass of wine or 2 LOL. You doing important stuff here...
Yeah... no sense rushing these things ..... :D

Bubbalowe
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Baseburners & Antiques: Grodin Petite
Other Heating: electric radiators until used boiler hook up

Post by Bubbalowe » Wed. Feb. 13, 2019 8:47 am

No sense in not sharing my stupidness . 2 weeks ago fire went out and noticed glass in VC2310 had slid and gasket dropped from across top letting air in. Instead of pulling door off and laying flat got idea of using stove cement to hold gasket on, seemed reasonable. There was a little bind on glass tightening screws that caused glass to crack first heat. Trowelled stove cement across glass while hot and cement set almost immediately without falling off. Burning steady for 2 weeks like this haven't ordered the $100 replacement glass, just can't see pretty fire on left side.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”