Franco belge 1440802

Jamesw
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Franco belge
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by Jamesw » Tue. Feb. 12, 2019 6:32 am

I’m new to burning coal. I have a Franco belge and am burning pea coal. I have my hopper at the middle setting and the side dial at 6. I am getting 6-10 hours of burning before it goes out. Is this average? Is there a way to get longer burn time from this stove? When the coal starts going out is there a way to refire it? Any tips on this kind of stove are welcome.

Attachments

image.jpg

Normal setting

.JPG | 829.1KB | image.jpg
image.jpg
.JPG | 580.1KB | image.jpg

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Tue. Feb. 12, 2019 8:03 am

J I had this stove 14 years .I ran the hopper up on the top I had same stove . This stove is Basically a 2 room heater . To do that I ran the dial on 2 or 3 an was happy . You probably need a Larger Stove . P M me if I can help . I know the owners manual said Not To Run Stove Over Number 4 for More Than two hours .If you do run higher You Will Warp The Rear Parts .Jack

Jamesw
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Franco belge
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by Jamesw » Tue. Feb. 12, 2019 8:37 am

It has no problem heating my house as it’s running. I just want to get more hours out of each burn. I’ll try the hopper on the highest setting. My manual says it operates between 2-6 on the dial. Maybe I’ll turn that down to make more under draft. I’m thanking I have to much draft above the coal and not enough coming through the coals

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Tue. Feb. 12, 2019 9:48 am

The thermostat controls only draft through the coal from under the grate. There is no control for over fire air.

As mentioned, set hopper as high as possible. You should get 8 hour tending at high settings and 12 or more hours at low settings. About 40 pounds per day max. Clear ash well with shaker and slicing poker. Be sure to close the three ports for poker when done. Keep glass clean. A piece of sheet metal with a half inch lip or tabs bent on top to hang on door opening when starting stove or to allow glass to cool for cleaning is very handy. Top off hopper at each tending.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”