Any help identifying this stove?

Fishingdude7

Post by Fishingdude7 » Sun. Feb. 10, 2019 9:54 pm

Hello, new here and need some help. I wound up with what I’m told is a coal burning stove that I found at an estate sale today. I’ve scoured the internet to try and identify it, but can’t seem to. Challenge is I can’t find a name plate on it anywhere. It looks to have been used for sure, but possibly got repainted recently...it was inside though so who knows. Anyways, if anyone knows what it is please let me know! There are some marks on the doors and the legs have a l4 mark on them. Handles have a k48 I think. Anyways, thanks!

Attachments

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. Feb. 10, 2019 10:33 pm

Looks like a lovely coal stove to me. Check the fit of the lower door by closing a dollar bill in it all around to see if the bill is gripped. This has to be a good fit to control the stove.

Looking further there is a gap at the front of the fire pot that will allow air to bypass the coal. That must be sealed.

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Mon. Feb. 11, 2019 8:13 am

That's a good looking stove. Wondering if no one here can identify it then maybe check with one of these outfits that restore antique wood/coal stoves. (seem to remember one or two in the New England region) They may even be able to advise about parts availability. When you planning on firing it up?

Fishingdude7

Post by Fishingdude7 » Mon. Feb. 18, 2019 9:45 pm

Thanks, yeah we got it because it’s sure neat looking. So the door definetly isn’t completely sealed, kinda an air gap in there. Also, the front of it has what I’m assuming is that mica glass, and it’s got a few chips in it too. Do you think i could burn wood in it to heat just a small space for now? I’d like to get it going, just tryimg to figure out the best way to do so! Thanks again for the reply’s!

Fishingdude7

Post by Fishingdude7 » Mon. Feb. 18, 2019 9:46 pm

Ok so upon further investigation, the lower door does seal pretty good, a dollar pulls from it just kinda hard. It’s the upper door that’s not super tight, but it gets there.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Feb. 18, 2019 11:08 pm

The upper door is not critical, but the gap between the fire pot and upper door will probably allow air to bypass coal. No problem with wood.

Fishingdude7

Post by Fishingdude7 » Wed. Feb. 20, 2019 11:40 pm

Ah ok, thank you!

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Wed. Mar. 06, 2019 1:43 pm

similar looking stove.
Fishingdude7 wrote:
Wed. Feb. 20, 2019 11:40 pm
Ah ok, thank you!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”