DS coal insert

MadMax
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: DS fireplace insert
Coal Size/Type: Nut Coal

Post by MadMax » Tue. Feb. 05, 2019 8:44 pm

:clap: Hello everyone hope all is well this heating season. I just want to post here because I couldnt really find any information about the DS insert online in regards users liking it or not. I am happy to say I acquired the DS fireplace insert this October only after long debate with my wife on whether to keep the new wood Insert stove we bought in 2017 (Kodiak 1700) or to get this coal insert. We loved the wood stove but sadly I work 12+ hr days and my wife 8+ hr days therefore causing us to use a lot of additional oil when not home. (Despite the noted 12hr burn time on our wood stove :oops: ) Due to us coming home to a colder house we often had to then wake up in the middle of the night to feed the fire. Heating an 1800sqft home with wood is possible in New England and many do but then again I always feel like I am chasing wood. We also bought our wood...since I don’t own any real acreage and could harvest and wood from my property, thus make the proposition of coal that much more favorable. Additionally, with a baby on the way this year, we decided that getting a coal stove would make all our lives easier and it did! We have burned through 3 tons of coal so far and are super pleased with the DS coal insert stove for a variety of reason: it looks beautiful, can burn wood if need be, bimetal temp regulator, actual 12 hr burn times and longer ( I leave and 6am and come back at 8pm) and stove is burning in 25 deg weather) , top loading/ gravity feed, large top stove surface area for an insert, external shaker, and of course a lot a lot heat!!! My wife actually told me this is the best decision I made. I guess she loves the house being at a constant 79-82 deg. If guys have any questions feel free to ask.

Attachments

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Sat. Oct. 12, 2019 7:13 pm

I live in New England as well, North Central Ma. I would like a Coal Insert for my fireplace. I've had my eye on the DS. Seems to offer a few extras over the Hitzer. Glad you are enjoying yours, and some good reading too!

MadMax
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: DS fireplace insert
Coal Size/Type: Nut Coal

Post by MadMax » Sat. Nov. 30, 2019 12:21 am

I am originally from PA and grew up burning coal. Both stoves are from quality companies and that I can attest to. I have ever used the hitzer stoves but people that do love them. I would say to me the external shaker and the looks of the DS sold me. You can’t go wrong with either or. I have been burning the whole month of November and it’s been :yes: . Let me know if you pick one.

Spacecadet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95, Hitzer 30/95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: US stove 6041 pellet

Post by Spacecadet » Sat. Nov. 30, 2019 1:15 am

Welcome to the warmth and constant heat of coal and best of all NO MORE sleepless nights. As a previous wood burner myself, the end of sleepless nights is what sold me. That and being able to keep the house @ 80 degrees consistently.
Your fireplace looks great. It looks like it was designed around the DS.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”